Power steering just blew up

Something does not add up here. Have they told you for sure where it is leaking from or do they just THINK they know where it is leaking from. The hydraulic pump they are referring to is the Power Steering pump; it is the only "PUMP" in the system. And yes, anytime you run one dry you can damage it, but not always. Generally when you get that kind of spray in the engine compartment it’s a blown hose or fitting. The system is not that complicated. If you have it back home go over it with a good light and a calm attitude. Start at one line on the pump and follow it to what it is connected to next checking for splits and leaks along the way and at the fittings. I suspect that you will find the problem and be able to fix it without spending money needlessly.

You can do this.

yeah i just said screw it and cancelled my order with the stealership and ordered JMB's electric fan setup and lines to do away with the entire module and so that i won't have any more issues with it in the future...hopefully this will get me back and running cooler than before.... Anyone have any luck with it? JMB Performance & Powdercoat, LLC

This is what I was going to suggest to you but you beat me to it. I have had great luck with Justin's fan on my setup. You made the right choice, although you probably 'f'ed the steering pump by driving it, so better get one of them too.

i only drove it a few miles...and not fast...so I'm hoping that i didn't cause any damage to the pump...i will be going over everything tomorrow as i pull it out and get ready for the electric fan setup from Justin. But hopefully there isn't any more damage than that.

I just had to replace my pump yesterday and i bought it from the dodge dealer it was 260.

Use one of these with the electric fan:

Flex-a-lite 31163 Flex-a-lite Variable Speed Control System

It has a threaded temperature sending unit that threads into the thermostat housing (the threaded hole is already here). Then you can use this module to control when the fan turns on and off. Last summer my temperatures never went above 172 degrees which is what the thermostat is. You won't find a better system than Justin's fan and this module combined.

Last edited:
Had that problem with mine at just over 30k. Took it to the dealership where they changed out the lines.50 miles later it blew the fitting out of the pump. They not only had to change out lines but also the pump due to driving to the end of the block. Don't take a chance driving if your paying for it. Go for the tow and the upgrade on the hose. At 75 it sucks not having ps. Goodluck.

When i first did my swap in my truck i didnt have PS lines made yet and i drove my truck about 20 miles with no PS....Didnt mess up my pump at all.

Had that problem with mine at just over 30k. Took it to the dealership where they changed out the lines.50 miles later it blew the fitting out of the pump. They not only had to change out lines but also the pump due to driving to the end of the block. Don't take a chance driving if your paying for it. Go for the tow and the upgrade on the hose. At 75 it sucks not having ps. Goodluck.

Around here a tow is worth way more than the $80 for a new pump, that is of course if you aren't paying labor and can do it yourself.

I believe justin at jmb has my powersteering pump there at his shop. We will make you a sweet deal on it and u can save on shipping.

Sent from my phone lol

i appreciate it ill let you know what goes on after i do the the install and new lines if i need a entirely dif pump. I won't know until the end of next week though because i go back to the field this week.

I got Justins electric fan conversion installed. Everything went in somewhat easy I will do a install write up after a while but I am having a problem with the rack and pinion connection from the power steering pump (which is pretty much done). Has anyone else had issues with this. or any thoughts on how to get it to seal...the anodized fitting runis all the way up into the rack and pinion. I tried a tread sealer and it worked until the engine got hot then it started shooting out again...

Here is the connection area...it is leaking from the blue anodized fitting.

Attachments

• rack and pinion.jpg
    rack and pinion.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 77

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back