Power steering pump going out, AGAIN

scottstoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:( :mad: Getting ready to have to put in my 3rd power steering pump, I'm just about to the boiling point and getting ready to take a sawzaw to the factory cooling fan and hoses and run and electic fan and put a power steering pump from a hemi on my truck, i'm tired of fixing the leaking hoses and pumps on my truck, plus carring around power steering fluid under my seat all the time:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

By power steering fluid, you don't mean the clear "hydraulic/power steering fluid", do you?

You are using the red ATF+4 fluid...right?

:( I guess the red stuff, i may have f...ed up and put the clear in there once though ....will that ruin pump too??It started leaking in ky so i stoped at gas station and threw in what ever they had...

The leaky p.s. lines peed all over the serpentine belt on my own truck and it started to come apart because of it.
Some of the belt is stuck to the idler, some over the top of the intake manifold (real nice). Little black threads that smear like gobs of grease when you try to wipe them off.

Stinker has replacement p.s. lines that replace the factory's junk.

I don't know how much of the wrong fluid the o.e.m. power steering pumps can take before they start to complain. "Something" is wrecking the pumps- either starving for fluid or wrong fluid. I dunno....

Last edited:
When my steering pump went my truck was still under warranty. Dealer stated they would only replace the pump as I objected knowing that if the pump failure resulted in debris going out into the system it was very likely that the new pump or other items within the system would soon fail or result in less then expected life. Dealer responded that they would do their best to flush the system prior...I still objected. Dealer and I contacted Dodge customer service who agreed to replace the pump and steering rack. I agreed that the fan and fan switch/valving could be flushed. 70K miles later no issues....

Stinker's P/S lines show to help with the flow, steerin was like day & night, thus helpin keep the juice cooler, pressures up & everything workin easier.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

i took apart the stocker p/s lines. they are just as cheepshit as the oil cooler lines, fockers:mad:

ZCx said:
Stinker's P/S lines show to help with the flow, steerin was like day & night, thus helpin keep the juice cooler, pressures up & everything workin easier.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

i took apart the stocker p/s lines. they are just as cheepshit as the oil cooler lines, fockers:mad:

Does it make the steering easier at slow speeds?
Does it get SUPER easy at highway speeds?

Thanks!

Ronnie

It may just be the top high px line it was leaking fluid all over going to take it off and build a new one and see if it works for now..

the power sterrin on all the dodge rams are shity . mine growns and makes all kinds a wierdsounds i hope mine aitn goin too i only got 40,000 on my bee :dontknow:

Stinkers lines work great!!:rock: :rock: I replaced mine about a month ago and holy shit they are good :D Mine was leaking from the top and covering everything below. No problems at all with the new ones, hasn't leaked once since. $180.00 for the lifetime lines, the ones I got.

scottstoy said:
It may just be the top high px line it was leaking fluid all over going to take it off and build a new one and see if it works for now..

That line uses the garbage quick disconnect similar to the oil lines at the PS pump. Mine leaked probably a year or two ago. Spent an afternoon at my local speed shop and made my own braided lines since I knew replacing with new Dodge product would only find me doing this again....and again...and again.

Stinkers is turn key if you don't want to go about fabing up your own lines.

Got the hose fixed just took it to local radiator shop, 38 dollors, and im back on the road....:rock:

rottenronnie said:
Does it make the steering easier at slow speeds?
Does it get SUPER easy at highway speeds?

Thanks!

Ronnie

yes. greatly improves slow speed input. be a big help in parkin lot maneuverability:rock: :rock: :rock:

SUPER easy, not really. the first couple of lane changes was SUPER quick because i was using the same input as with the old lines, lol. had folks one finger wave at me.
but road feel is the same or better:rock: :rock: :rock: & plus stinkers poly bushins she really is a big sports car feel
:rock: :burnout: :rock: :burnout: :rock: :burnout:

I checked my truck recently. I am running all stock with no leaks so far. My truck is an 04 with 10k miles.

kennygene said:
I checked my truck recently. I am running all stock with no leaks so far. My truck is an 04 with 10k miles.

keep an eye on the p/s & engine oil cooler lines or just replace them & be a head of the game
:rock: :rock: :rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back