Problem with tranny... (I think)

CrazyUSMarine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats up fellas. Got a problem with my baby. If I punch on the gas from a dead stop, the transmission will not shift out of first. I have to get off the gas to get it to shift. Any thoughts?

You probably need a throttle cable adjsustment , if that dont work maybe try the governor solonoid , it plays havoc with the line pressure

Try the TV cable first, I have a set of good solenoids for cheap if you want them. PM me if you are interested.

try the cable first, do a search on tv cable adjsutment or tranny adjustment something like that.

if that dont work then you may try serviceing the tranny and replacing the govenor solonoid

Stinker said:
You probably need a throttle cable adjsustment , if that dont work maybe try the governor solonoid , it plays havoc with the line pressure

Personally,I'd say skip the cable adjustment and try the solenoid !!OR,you may end up doing what I just did and rebuild the tranny because the front band was toast,which in turn wiped out the drum !! :dontknow:

The problem is that I dont trust myself to do that stuff. Afraid that the first time i touch it, its gonna be screwed up...

hang loose let me find some instructions on the cable adjustment, it can be done in like 5 minutes , actually reall easy;)

1.Turn ignition switch to OFF position.
2.Remove air cleaner if necessary.
3.Disconnect cable end (3)(Throttle Valve Cable at Throttle Linkage) from attachment stud on throttle lever (1). Carefully slide cable off stud. Do not pry or pull cable off.
4.Verify that transmission throttle lever is in fully closed position. Then be sure lever on throttle body is at curb idle position.
5.Pry the T.V. cable lock (A) into the UP position. This will unlock the cable and allow for readjustment.
6.Apply just enough tension on the T.V. cable (B) to remove any slack in the cable. Pulling too tight will cause the T.V. lever on the transmission to move out of its idle position, which will result in an incorrect T.V. cable
7.Adjustment. Slide the sheath of the T.V. cable (D) back and forth until the centerlines of the T.V. cable end (B) and the throttle bell crank lever (C) are aligned within one millimeter (1mm).
8.While holding the T.V. cable in the set position push the T.V. cable lock (A) into the down position. This will lock the present T.V. cable adjustment.
NOTE: Be sure that as the cable is pulled forward and centered on the throttle lever stud, the cable housing moves smoothly with the cable. Due to the angle at which the cable housing enters the spring housing, the cable housing may bind slightly and create an incorrect adjustment.

9.Reconnect the T.V. cable (B) to the throttle bellcrank lever (C).
10.Check cable adjustment. Verify transmission throttle lever and lever on throttle body move simultaneously.

Attachments

• fig3.gif
    fig3.gif
    11.5 KB · Views: 18
You may need someone down, under the truck to verify the TV is in the closed/idle posistion.

Mark your cable THE MOST IMPORTANT STEP!

If you set it up in this manner and it is way off either way. stop and put it back to the way it was.
http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInstructions/100/151/151-1064184K.pdf

goto page 8. thats what i would do first................ Just mark it and move it in 1/8 of a inch.

the posted way can get fouled do to faulty tv springs or tv bore.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back