Problem with truck

yellowfever#154

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who has a goofy problem, anyone heard of anything similar?

2000 Dodge quad cab 4X4 with 5.7 and automatic.

Driving down the highway doing 60 mph, truck will have a complete power failure. Engine shuts off and he pulls over to side of the road. Power then comes back on. Push brakes down to put back into park and notices while pushing the brakes the brake lights come on solid and then flash quickly twice. After this then the truck can be started and all is normal again, until it happens again.

Any thoughts?

I head that on my 05 ... I took it to dealer and it was some sensors ... One was in trany and I can rememember where was 2nd one ... It hapend to me driving down on highway 63 .

I had virtually the same thing happen with a Dodge Dakota... The PCM was loosing the Negitive Ground inside the unit. Had the PCM replaced and it worked perfect. My Little Sister has the truck now and it is still running fine... :)

I had the same exact thing on my 03 qc hemi. I thought it was bad fuel or something cause it did it every now and then so I started using 93 instead of 87. Problem went away. Maybe it was coincidence but I have had any more problems since.

Could be a bad wiring job from when they installed the Hemi .

This, engine swaps and wiring can sometimes be a bit tricky, although similar year Dodge-Dodge shouldn't be that hard.....granted, those year trucks can have some fun electrical gremlins....

Ok, I didnt realize that the 2000 didnt come with a hemi. When I asked him what motor it had he really didnt even know I assumed it was a hemi. So lets say that it is whatever v-8 engine came in the truck.

Ok, I didnt realize that the 2000 didnt come with a hemi. When I asked him what motor it had he really didnt even know I assumed it was a hemi. So lets say that it is whatever v-8 engine came in the truck.

318 or 360.....still likely a ground or electrical gremlin.....my 01 did some crazy stuff.....actually, you might be able to google the problem and get some results....

I have a friend who has a goofy problem, anyone heard of anything similar?

2000 Dodge quad cab 4X4 with 5.7 and automatic.

Driving down the highway doing 60 mph, truck will have a complete power failure. Engine shuts off and he pulls over to side of the road. Power then comes back on. Push brakes down to put back into park and notices while pushing the brakes the brake lights come on solid and then flash quickly twice. After this then the truck can be started and all is normal again, until it happens again.

Any thoughts?

Ok Tyler I know these truck pretty good I think there is two problems. For losing power if it stalls it could be:

Fuel pump
Hall effect switch (under distributor)
Crank sensor ( common issues causes all kinds of problems)
Security issue

If hecould scan it and see what history codes there all it could be narrowed down.

The flashing lights could be:

Faulty brake light switch
Bad command start
Bad connection or loose underhood/dash bulkhead connector lower drivers side of fire wall.

Let me know what you find and yes it will either have a 5.2l or 5.9l engine.

My wifes 2004 had same problem intermitant at first then did it all the time ended up being the pcm.And they were all on back order at the time.

My wifes 2004 had same problem intermitant at first then did it all the time ended up being the pcm.And they were all on back order at the time.

I've seen this last summer we had a Dakota with a 5.2L come in that when it got hot under the hood the PCM circuit board would warp and loose connection internally and the truck would shut down. If you had it running with the hood open it would run all day but as soon as the hood was closed or you drove it the truck shut Down and you would have to wait anywhere from 5-60min. The dealer didnt have a PCM for this instock so we had to get a used one that came out of the same truck the problem was finding one that didn't have security.

Need more info. Any fault codes? When it dies does it say "no bus" where the odometer is? I think there is a ground wire by the PS pump, make sure it's clean and tight. Does it have an aftermarket alarm? My vote is bad PCM, let idle with hood shut untill operating temp, then wiggle connections at PCM, if it dies replace PCM. Many of the rebuilt PCM's we get are junk. If you get one from MOPAR it will need the VIN# programmed in. This can be done with a Snap-on scanner.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back