Pumping clutch pedal between shifts

It will work, if they don't get it working, just run down to WV and I'll get it working... Ask them if they see a leak near the slave while their under it.

kennygene said:
It will work, if they don't get it working, just run down to WV and I'll get it working... Ask them if they see a leak near the slave while their under it.

I'll take pics as they are doing it and post.

When the seal wears out in a master cylinder (brake,clutch,etc.) fluid pushes past the piston. After the pedal is released, air will get pulled passed the seal (from reservoir) into the line. If you have ever bled brakes after replacing a faulty master cylinder, the fluid is usually milky from air being pumped into the system. Since air is compressible and fluid is not, it takes a number of pumps to build up enough line pressure to actuate the slave cylinder.

-Muzzy

Muzzy said:
When the seal wears out in a master cylinder (brake,clutch,etc.) fluid pushes past the piston. After the pedal is released, air will get pulled passed the seal (from reservoir) into the line. If you have ever bled brakes after replacing a faulty master cylinder, the fluid is usually milky from air being pumped into the system. Since air is compressible and fluid is not, it takes a number of pumps to build up enough line pressure to actuate the slave cylinder.

-Muzzy

So either way, purging will do job for a while if the master / slave is bad. Should only take a few minutes once on lift for these guys.

It can be done without a lift for a good grease monkey.

kennygene said:
It can be done without a lift for a good grease monkey.

Exactly!!!! He laid on ground and purged it in less than 2 mins. Pedal much better now. Shifts nice and no pumping of pedal.

I will probably upgrade to viper hydraulics since it is probably the master or slave sucking in air as Muzzy stated. If I go that far, might as well replace the clutch as well while its all apart.

Thanks again guys..

This site really is incredible... :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :burnout:

TREKER said:
Exactly!!!! He laid on ground and purged it in less than 2 mins. Pedal much better now. Shifts nice and no pumping of pedal.

I will probably upgrade to viper hydraulics since it is probably the master or slave sucking in air as Muzzy stated. If I go that far, might as well replace the clutch as well while its all apart.

Thanks again guys..

This site really is incredible... :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :burnout:

You'll be ok till your ready to upgrade. Just make sure it is full all the time. You'll be surprised, it won't leak very much.

kennygene said:
You'll be ok till your ready to upgrade. Just make sure it is full all the time. You'll be surprised, it won't leak very much.

Cant really leak too much. There is like no fluid in that system.

When I had the same issue it turned out that the dealership the previous owner had it serviced at greased the bleed screw like it was a grease nipple. There was the white assembly grease all through the system and it eventually plugged everything up. I ended up replacing the clutch and the slave and master cylinder.

I actually have the same problem starting again. Need to just bite the bullet and replace the hydraulics. While its apart, I might as well upgrade clutch with centerforce or stage.3

Scott

Had exact same problem before I did the slave, then since it was apart you might as well do the rest of it I said to self. I even replaced the flywheel. Old one was scored and Blue. 160 bucks to turn or 200 for a new one, went new.

Just bite the bullet, get a loan for 1500 bucks and be done with it.

Good luck Bud ........

Jim

Over 30 k on the clock , just changed the stock fluid for dot 4 , what a difference , slave is ok................

JimTeTe said:
Scott

Had exact same problem before I did the slave, then since it was apart you might as well do the rest of it I said to self. I even replaced the flywheel. Old one was scored and Blue. 160 bucks to turn or 200 for a new one, went new.

Good luck Bud ........

Jim
Nice fkn truck......cherry.............:rock: :burnout: :rock:

JimTeTe said:
Scott

Good luck Bud ........

Jim

well said, i dont now bout ya but i rather not have to pull the trans down again later. its a friggin luxury truck folks, spend some money

andrew heywood said:
Nice fkn truck......cherry.............:rock: :burnout: :rock:

Thanks Bud ..... Gotta drop the front over the winter.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back