purchasing a reg cab srt10

cheers007

Reaction score
Hi everyone.

I'm new to these forums since I don't yet own an srt10 Ram. I do own a 06 Ram Hemi QC, love that thing, but have always wanted an SRT10.

I came across one at a near by dealership. It is silver, reg cab, 81k miles on it, 2004, asking $19k. Before you think this is such a great deal, let me provide some details on it.

It is clean on the inside, but missing the stock sub. I don't know where the amp would be located on these, so I'm not sure if the stock amp is there as well. I hear that the stock setup sucks anyway, so that might not be such a biggie.

It has 6 disk changer, and when I took the truck to my mechanic to have it looked over, he noticed that the valves on the drivers side are a bit noisy. We looked inside the oil cap to see if we can find any carbon build up or sludge, but it looked very clean, so perhaps this is normal? My mechanic theorized that perhaps the oil wasn't changed often enough resulting in the noisy lifters, but again, he hasn't had much experience with the viper engine. This is where you kind folks can help me.

Also, the gauge cluster has 2 holes on the top of the message light stalks. One hole is on the left side and the other on the right side. The holes look perfectly circular as if there where some other LED type light in it's place, but now have been taken out. Any ideas what that could have been? The plastic is still sealed while the hole is on the cluster itself.

When attempting to drive fast and shift fast, the gear dont seem to want to let go and engage fast enough. I'm thinking it is time for a new clutch. If it were to race, it would lose due to slow shifting.

The purpose of this truck would be for fun on the weekend, not a daily driver. So to summarize my questions:

1. Where would the stock amp be located?
2. Is the "noisy lifter" sound normal on these engines?
3. What could the holes in the cluster be for?
4. Does it sound like it needs a new clutch or is shifting this thing sound normal based on my description?
5. Mother of all questions, does this truck sound like a good deal to go after?

I appreciate any and all responses.

Lifter noise is normal.
one amp is in the dash and the sub amp is under the center console.
have no idea about the holes in the dash without some pics.

19k is a little high with those problems...

they could be minor, but could be major...

the trans could be a weak slave (which the trans has to be removed to inspect and replace) or it could be worn pads, which would require a rebuild... so it could be $750 to replace the slave or $2500 to rebuild and replace the transmission...

holes? need pics for that... could have been an aftermarket alarm?

the amp for the sub specifically is under the center console... lift up the armrest and there's a second compartment below that (the seat bottom raises up)...

for lifters, the viper motors do have a "loud" valvetrain... they tend to have a slight tick... a little thicker oil can calm it down, OR it could be the beginnings of something major....

a stock rebuild starts at $5k on the motor...

and i have 106k on mine;)

Great feedback fellas. Viperhauler, what would be a resonable price for the truck I've described to you?

^^^^ What he said. Also make sure you check the oil cooler lines and power steering lines. When I bought mine, the oil cooler lines were like oil soaked sponges and that was at 35K miles and then the PS lines started to leak soon afterwards.

Hi everyone.

I'm new to these forums since I don't yet own an srt10 Ram. I do own a 06 Ram Hemi QC, love that thing, but have always wanted an SRT10.

I came across one at a near by dealership. It is silver, reg cab, 81k miles on it, 2004, asking $19k. Before you think this is such a great deal, let me provide some details on it.

It is clean on the inside, but missing the stock sub. I don't know where the amp would be located on these, so I'm not sure if the stock amp is there as well. I hear that the stock setup sucks anyway, so that might not be such a biggie.

It has 6 disk changer, and when I took the truck to my mechanic to have it looked over, he noticed that the valves on the drivers side are a bit noisy. We looked inside the oil cap to see if we can find any carbon build up or sludge, but it looked very clean, so perhaps this is normal? My mechanic theorized that perhaps the oil wasn't changed often enough resulting in the noisy lifters, but again, he hasn't had much experience with the viper engine. This is where you kind folks can help me.

Also, the gauge cluster has 2 holes on the top of the message light stalks. One hole is on the left side and the other on the right side. The holes look perfectly circular as if there where some other LED type light in it's place, but now have been taken out. Any ideas what that could have been? The plastic is still sealed while the hole is on the cluster itself.

When attempting to drive fast and shift fast, the gear dont seem to want to let go and engage fast enough. I'm thinking it is time for a new clutch. If it were to race, it would lose due to slow shifting.

The purpose of this truck would be for fun on the weekend, not a daily driver. So to summarize my questions:

1. Where would the stock amp be located? Under the center console open lid
2. Is the "noisy lifter" sound normal on these engines?Noisy lifter ticking is normal for the most part. They have fast bleed lifters for emissions purposes.
3. What could the holes in the cluster be for? Shift light likely, ask SRTVENOMOUS, lol
4. Does it sound like it needs a new clutch or is shifting this thing sound normal based on my description? Not clutch likely, nut rather air in the lines and deteriorating brake fluid in the resovoir. Open resovoir near firewall and inspect fluid (black, brown, is it full to step?) There is a bleeder by the hydraulic line that goes into the slave inside the tranny.
5. Mother of all questions, does this truck sound like a good deal to go after?

I appreciate any and all responses.
It's a good deal to whoever buys it as there are only a handful produced. Make sure it has a clean title and go over the body and frame with a fine tooth comb for signs of accidents.
:smokin:

OK thanks everyone. I have another question. I'm now looking at a red 2004 reg cab with 108k miles and they are asking $18k. This is private seller. I'm still scheduling time to go see the truck. It appears to have everything there, no parts missing and they are the original owner. It had a clutch replaced recently.

The price is negotiable. What do you all think is a fair price given that it is in good shape with no mechanical issues? I'm trying to think ahead before I go see it (scheduling a time to see the truck now)

OK thanks everyone. I have another question. I'm now looking at a red 2004 reg cab with 108k miles and they are asking $18k. This is private seller. I'm still scheduling time to go see the truck. It appears to have everything there, no parts missing and they are the original owner. It had a clutch replaced recently.

The price is negotiable. What do you all think is a fair price given that it is in good shape with no mechanical issues? I'm trying to think ahead before I go see it (scheduling a time to see the truck now)

I think the prices are fair and just do whatever to get them down a lil more;)

my son found one with 23k on the clock for 20000.00 gonna go look at it next week.

I can't stress enough how important a carfax is......

Also, if they've ever used a dealer for service, a service record would be good also.

Price...

I've seen them all over the board. It will end up coming down to the one you want the most. Don't count on the assumption that what one is willing to sell for, others will be too, just not going to happen. Never believe what a salesman says about the truck, he probably nows less about it than you do.

Oh and if I didn't say, get a carfax

Vj

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back