QC Questions

WYKDSRT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, fairly new to the viper world. Had a SRT8 but sold due to family expanding. now I am about to re-enlist and looking at making a QC my daily. Ive been hearing/reading that when I do make this purchase as QC are "infamous" with having leaks/transmission issues of course depending on how its driven but if I am buying from someone or even a dealer I wont know exactly how its been driven. I just wanted to ask and I apologize if this is in the wrong category for a thread but what things should i replace with new factory parts or aftermarket parts that WILL keep the truck running strong. I was going into this thinking right away forged the block and maybe cam it with exhaust and spend the rest on necessary things but since i am not familiar with the v10 and only the v8's i am here asking you guys. What should i buy so i don't have any issues. Looking at getting stationed in San Diego so if anyone knows a reputable shop to do this that would be awesome as well but as i am doing a lot of homework and research on the new truck i am soon to be getting. thank you for your time.

There are lots of threads about QC mods on this site.

A performance flash will REALLY wake up your truck but it will put additional strain on your transmission and it is important to keep it serviced.

MAKE SURE you get a performance flash from a reputable individual. These engines (like any other gas engine) will not tolerate detonation. It is an engine killer and the damage caused gets expensive real quick.

A catback system (with cats) will give it a nice sound and add performance. A drop-in K&N filter will help a bit too. The factory manifolds on the trucks are better than the cars so I wouldn't worry about headers right away. They are expensive for the power gained with a more or less stock engine like you have.

Sometimes/often the power steering hoses will leak. I had mine built at a local hose repair shop. The problem is often the swivel fitting right near the power steering pump falls apart inside and can no longer seal. The o.e.m. hoses themselves were ok but Mopar used cheap fittings.

The hoses for the oil cooler can also leak/sweat. I had those rebuilt at a local shop as well.

Talk to the Vendors on this site and to those using their services and products.

Lots of options..

Have fun with your QC.

Last edited:
There are lots of threads about QC mods on this site.

A performance flash will REALLY wake up your truck but it will put additional strain on your transmission and it is important to keep it serviced.

MAKE SURE you get a performance flash from a reputable individual. These engines (like any other gas engine) will not tolerate detonation. It is an engine killer and the damage caused gets expensive real quick.

A catback system (with cats) will give it a nice sound and add performance. A drop-in K&N filter will help a bit too. The factory manifolds on the trucks are better than the cars so I wouldn't worry about headers right away. They are expensive for the power gained with a more or less stock engine like you have.

Sometimes/often the power steering hoses will leak. I had mine built at a local hose repair shop. The problem is often the swivel fitting right near the power steering pump falls apart inside and can no longer seal. The o.e.m. hoses themselves were ok but Mopar used cheap fittings.

The hoses for the oil cooler can also leak/sweat. I had those rebuilt at a local shop as well.

Talk to the Vendors on this site and to those using their services and products.

Lots of options..

Have fun with your QC.

Rottenronnie, thanks for the advise. I currently msg'd/emailed venomous1racing. I know I eventually want to rebuild the block but I will end up wanting to replace all lines so no leaks, heads, cam, intake, full exhaust and V1R Snakehood. Depending if I have enough from my bonus throw the rest at the trans and suspension. as I mentioned I am doing tons and tons of reading from other ppls posts and different forums. The hardest part right now and keep in mind I don't have the truck yet but convincing the mrs the mpg will be just fine and the insurance will be just fine:laugh::laugh:

I know all about that!
My truck gets way better mileage than it did when it was stock but trying to convince the Mrs. you want to spend an additional $20+ thousand to "get better mileage" might be a tough sell !! :)

Last edited:
I know all about that!
My truck gets way better mileage than it did when it was stock but trying to convince the Mrs. you want to spend an additional $20+ thousand to "get better mileage" might be a tough sell !! :)

Exactly..... but its worth it. reliable yet a beast of a truck ... the research and homework continues but thank you for the advise/help. if anyone else has an opinion... send it my way as I will take on all notes/tips to learn more about my future decision. thanks again guys.

Once you get it, do a 6 speed conversion and your MPG will be much better than any tune for an automatic. Plus a lot funner to drive.

Last edited:
Exactly..... but its worth it. reliable yet a beast of a truck ... the research and homework continues but thank you for the advise/help. if anyone else has an opinion... send it my way as I will take on all notes/tips to learn more about my future decision. thanks again guys.

Stepping back a bit...if the Mrs is concerned about MPG (costs) and insurance (costs) rebuilding/forging an engine (costs) should not even be on your list. You, or at least she, indicates you are not in the financial position to waste money doing so. For the most part these trucks are toys and any monies spent on these toys should be toy money. Spending toy money does not need convincing by the other half to do so.

Factory engine is more than reliable. I have over 160K miles on mine. common HP line upgrades (HP pwr steering and oil exchanger) to replace the crappy quick connect fittings on the OEM lines are very inexpensive. Throwing a tune at your future QC would be fine but as others pointed out do your research. Trans servicing should be part of your normal maintenance.

Off my soap box....carry on! :rock:

Stepping back a bit...if the Mrs is concerned about MPG (costs) and insurance (costs) rebuilding/forging an engine (costs) should not even be on your list. You, or at least she, indicates you are not in the financial position to waste money doing so. For the most part these trucks are toys and any monies spent on these toys should be toy money. Spending toy money does not need convincing by the other half to do so.

Factory engine is more than reliable. I have over 160K miles on mine. common HP line upgrades (HP pwr steering and oil exchanger) to replace the crappy quick connect fittings on the OEM lines are very inexpensive. Throwing a tune at your future QC would be fine but as others pointed out do your research. Trans servicing should be part of your normal maintenance.

Off my soap box....carry on! :rock:

Chuck B.
Thank you for your concern but it will be something that is discussed but she already knows its going to be my project toy truck but daily for atleast a year but she already knows that this will be my baby. plus all my deployment money I save goes towards the truck after I splurge on the mrs when I get back. your advice/opinion does matter and again ill take on any opinions etc etc.
it was either rebuilding a SRT8 or stepping up to a SRT10 as a daily/project or... getting a shell and build a drag project with my son. I know money will be put into the truck and will take time but I want to pass on my childhood experience to my son the way I experienced it... changing brake pads, changing oils and fun cruises with my dad will carry on. again thank you. still doing research when I am not controlling events. the more info I have the better knowledge I become. thank you guys.

What do you plan on doing with the truck while you're away? Seen many peeps come home from deployment to find some other dude banging your girl, eating your food, liveing in your house, beating your kids & last but not least driveing your truck.

What do you plan on doing with the truck while you're away? Seen many peeps come home from deployment to find some other dude banging your girl, eating your food, liveing in your house, beating your kids & last but not least driveing your truck.

LOL that may be true to some but not this house hold. thanks for your concern but it will most likely be at a shop as while im deployed I send money to have stuff done. that's what I did with my SRT8. forged 370 with a tad bit toooo much of a shot of nitrous and my motor blew, fixed it... family expanded and sold car and like I mentioned its time to get my toy back. again thanks for that concern from the military stand point of being gone. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

hahahaha

Lol!!!!!!!!!! Bit harsh man, don't you think? :rofl:

Lol!!!!!!!!!! Bit harsh man, don't you think? :rofl:

LOL its all good. its sad that military has that point of view on some families but there are the majority that are like any one of your families, all happy and spending money on project cars. keep the advice/tips/suggestions coming. thanks again gents! :rock:

LOL its all good. its sad that military has that point of view on some families but there are the majority that are like any one of your families, all happy and spending money on project cars. keep the advice/tips/suggestions coming. thanks again gents! :rock:

You have a great attitude man. Good luck finding your 10, you sure deserve it. And god bless you and your family for all the sacrifices you make for us.

You seem bent on putting a lot of needless money into an already fun vehicle. It is nuts right off the assembly line. Other than some preventive maintenance and maybe a PCM tune you are good to go.

Go see Dan Cragin at Specialty Performance in Alhambra, CA. He is a Viper Guru. Real god guy that will answer all your Viper questions.

only had mine for a year but i would suggest taking your time and buying the lowest miles and best quality you can. yes, there are some high mileage trucks that have been taken car of but we all know thats not the rule. while i still love my truck, i had to buy it in a hurry since a drunk driver took out my daily driver, i would have preferred lower miles and no east coast rust on the bolts

I love mine..

I love my QC....like everybody's said...power steering lines/oil cooler lines will leak, but a cheap fix. Get an SCT tune(contact Torrie @ Unleashed Tuning), and he'll set you right up(around $400). That will really wake that QC up. And like others have said, just take your time and do to your truck, what YOU want to do with it. There are 3 GREAT Vendors on here, that can get you anything you need for your truck. JMB Perf., JTSV Perf., and Venomous1 Racing. I've dealt with all 3 and have had 0 issues with all of them. Plus, the guys and gals on here, can, and will, help you out with any questions you may have. Good luck with your truck, and thnx for your service...!:rock::rock:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back