Qc shift points

Sanguissaevus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I normally dont start threads or write much of anything because most everything can be found in past threads. However, this site apperantly requires i post 50 times before i have full access sooooo, for the near future i shall just start asking without searching. Flame on. :chain:

So here is my first unsearched question to up my posts:
Whats the deal with the seamingly low shift points on the 05 qc? Looks to be shifting at around 5500 rpm. My viper shifts at 6200 or 6300rpm. Does the rc redline this low? Due to weight stresses they limit it?

Can you alter this with an sct and take it to 6000rpm? Is this a topic anyone has discussed before? Should i have searched?....naaaaaa! :D

the gen III starts dropping power at 5500, the redline is set at just over 6k, anything beyond that is useless
if your trans is shifting early its the shift cable adjustment, or can be programmed

Just do a 6 speed swap as a few other QC'er have done. Unless you do a major build on the auto its on borrowed time even with the stock hp. That tranny just cant handle high RPM it is being tasked with being it was meant for the Cummins HD. It can handle HP/TRQ it just doesnt handle rev's. Diesel's dont make power by revving to 6 grand so it was never a problem with the Cummins boys until they start making over 1000hp and 2000 lb feet trq.

I want the auto. 6spd isnt an option, but thanks for the suggestion. The cable/program comment is interesting. Any guesses as to why a bone stock qc cable or tune would be off like this? Is it common? Heard of anyone else with this issue? The only unscheduled maintenance i know of on the truck is that they said they replacex some leaking lines going to the trans. Couls that be part of it? I plan on a tune very shortly so if that can resolve it that would be great. I will have to get the oem manuLs soon so i can check things like this cable. Dont know its adjustment tolerances.

All these above comments are spot on, choosing to disregard them and trying to shift consistently at 6k+ will put you at a coin toss which will grenade first

Motor or trans

Hmm, wasnt disregarding anything here accept the 6spd suggestion cause i simply dont want a 6spd. I have one in my rt10 already and want my truck to be an auto.

Also, im not trying to rev this thing past what i know the engine can take. But thats why i was asking if it was normal in the first place. I first, wanted to know if my 5500 shift point was normal. Second, i wanted to know that if it was normal, then why is that so, because my rt10 and all other vipers redline at 62 or 6300rpm. 3rd, and finally, if my 5500rpm shift point that im experiencing isn't normal (as according to 2 of the replys) then why is it happening and how do i fix it. According to 1 reply it is due to either a cable adjustment for the shifter or a programming error.

Unfortunately my experience with autos is very limited as most i have worked with is manuals.

Last edited:
one service the trans, adjust the bands, replace governor and transducer sensors in the transmission

adjust the tv cable

if all is good there, you can mildly adjust with the SCT tuner, or could they are discontinued and a new model is coming soon.

Also, im not trying to rev this thing past what i know the engine can take. But thats why i was asking if it was normal in the first place. I first, wanted to know if my 5500 shift point was normal. Second, i wanted to know that if it was normal, then why is that so, because my rt10 and all other vipers redline at 62 or 6300rpm. 3rd, and finally, if my 5500rpm shift point that im experiencing isn't normal (as according to 2 of the replys) then why is it happening and how do i fix it. According to 1 reply it is due to either a cable adjustment for the shifter or a programming error.

Unfortunately my experience with autos is very limited as most i have worked with is manuals.

The stock shift point is 5950.
TV Cable Adjustment:
Put a dot of paint on the TV cable for a reference if you need to put it back where it was.
Remove the cable lock CLIP by bending each of the side tabs back GENTLY.
Pull the cable UP slightly (try 1/8"at first), then replace the clip. That will delay all shifts (at both part throttle and wide open throttle). The tighter the cable is the the more the shift points will be delayed. It is a TOUCHY adjustment so I wouldn't make big changes.
Your 3-4 shift will still be too early and that needs to be extended by your tuner for best results.

Do yourself a big favor and grab a quality 26-2800 stall convertor when you are out shopping. It will make your truck feel like it went on a 1000 pound diet. The better ones have triple-discs for a good solid lockup. You will very likely get what you pay for here..

Last edited:
Great info jts and ronnie. Thanks a bunch. Im going to order the digital manuals this week and start in on those suggestions.

Do either of you have an idea as to why my trucks adjustments are oit of whack in the first place? Is that a common factory misadjustment or do think a past owner or service tech did something?

Couldnt help but notice the trans seems to shift very hard. My first thought was it had been modded but thats probably unlikely cause even the air filter and exaust is stock on this thing. I have nothing to compare what im feeling as Ive never driven in any other srt10s.

Funny u mention the new sct cause i just got done posting on that very subject only a few minutes ago.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back