QC with 35mph vibration

horse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has always had this vibration at 35mph since I bought it. It is not lowered.

You can feel it though the seats and the door if you have your arm resting on it.

1. I have changed the wheels/tires

2. Even took an axle out that looked like it had a small bend in it and had it straigtened.

3.Had the driveshaft balanced.

Any ideas what else it could be as its driving me nuts??

Has it ever been in any accidents?

Have you re-checked all the bolts (everything is tight)?

Is the shake at 35mph a "death wabble" (as if the body of your car is going to fly off the axles) or is it just a slight shake?

Wow! It seems like you would have gotten it with all that you have already done....

Are your brakes wearing evenly? Are your tires wearing evenly?

Yeah you could say its a death wabble, its very noticable and people comment when in the truck.

Brakes look fine, tires look fine (although they only have 1500 miles on them)

When I had the driveshaft balanced I replaced the centre hanger as it was a little spongy....vibration still there !!

Looks like aftermarket wheels.?? Put back on the stockers and see if it makes a difference.Kind of a ling shot but you never know.

Have the balancer checked on the engine

and they made need to remove the tranny and check the convertor if its that bad of a wabble.

you can do a few test to eliminate a few things

one try braking, does it do it with the brakes slightly applied, get worse , better.

second, when the vibration occurs , thro it in nuetral, does it go away.

third, try it sitting still, rev the engine, does it vibrate then.

this one is looney, but find a deserted parking lot, try it in reverse, oh and be careful:D

Also you may try it in different gears of the tranny

and too, if nothing else fails, jack up and support jsut the rear axle, brace the front, try it with the tires off the ground. have someone watch the driveline, and the rims to see if some out of round was missed.

Thanks guys,

I had them replace 2 of the universal joints at the time of balancing as they were "slightly tight"

Stinker, I have tried the take it out of gear thing but vib still there.

It is weird when it does it it isnt constant, it vibrates...then slightly goes away then come back etc etc

It is fine at other speeds. I have jacked it up and looked at the axles etc thet seem to have a little run out on both but not what you would think would cause this vibration.

I have the stock wheels on the truck now as I thought it was the 26" wheels that were on it.....I have had tyre shops spin the tyres and rebalance so I can alleviate the wheels/tires

horse said:
Thanks guys,

I had them replace 2 of the universal joints at the time of balancing as they were "slightly tight"

Stinker, I have tried the take it out of gear thing but vib still there.

It is weird when it does it it isnt constant, it vibrates...then slightly goes away then come back etc etc

It is fine at other speeds. I have jacked it up and looked at the axles etc thet seem to have a little run out on both but not what you would think would cause this vibration.

I have the stock wheels on the truck now as I thought it was the 26" wheels that were on it.....I have had tyre shops spin the tyres and rebalance so I can alleviate the wheels/tires

aahahh it comes and goes:D lovely thing to try and find

remove the exhaust, period;)

try loosening up the exhaust, or removing the rear section, or at lest the rubber insulators that hold up the exhaust, I ran into many many that drove me nutts, and it turn out that the factory, tightened the exhaust in a way that it caused a resonance to come thru the cab at certain speeds.

that would be my guess, and easy to try , jsut remove the rubber hangers, or loosen up all the bolts so the exhaust can move around a little

complete truck (2500 kg) shaking from exhaust vibrations?:dontknow:
can this be for real?

mine vibrates too a little around 50-60 mph but it's lowered so I'm too lazy to take a look at it...

horse said:
My truck has always had this vibration at 35mph since I bought it. It is not lowered.

You can feel it though the seats and the door if you have your arm resting on it.

1. I have changed the wheels/tires

2. Even took an axle out that looked like it had a small bend in it and had it straigtened.

3.Had the driveshaft balanced.

Any ideas what else it could be as its driving me nuts??

Is it with the O/D on or off?
Mine had a vibration at that speed with the O/D off until the tranny was serviced. Now it is o.k.

Does it do it at 70 mph too? I remember some tire guy posting up how tires out of balance will vibrate at 70 and I thought 35. But since you already checked the balance.....I dont know. Sucks.

patrick

It does it o/d on or off
The tires were new when I put them, but doing a search seems the pirellis dont get a good rap.

Surely I couldnt be that unlucky to have the vibration with both the 26's and with the originals with new tires.

horse said:
It does it o/d on or off
The tires were new when I put them, but doing a search seems the pirellis dont get a good rap.

Surely I couldnt be that unlucky to have the vibration with both the 26's and with the originals with new tires.

uh yep:D

hmm.....have you had the alinment checked? i had a random wobble at 45-50...and it was cause my Toe was off a couple degrees...nothing major just outta spec.

mauiSRT/10 said:
Does it do it at 70 mph too? I remember some tire guy posting up how tires out of balance will vibrate at 70 and I thought 35. But since you already checked the balance.....I dont know. Sucks.

patrick

This happens because of harmonics. The vibration (like sound) will create harmonics at multiples of itself. So, if it is related to speed, it will happen at 35 then 70 then again at 105 and so on. If you were to get to 140, then show all of the harmonics by strength, you might find that the one at 105 was the strongest, depending on whether the vibration is caused by dynamic imbalance, or something loose (sort of), or even how many spokes are on the wheel. If it is not related to speed, then you will not feel the vibration at these harmonics.

:D

Because sound is vibration, all of this is true for any noise as well.

Sorry, I just went back to my Navy days!!

That's acoustics 101.
:D:D:D

I've used this software http://www.vibratesoftware.com/ along with an EVA2 tool to track down vibrations in my 4x4. Download their demo - fully functional for a few days and it's diagnostic help screens help explain how to troubleshoot. Mine was a combo of pinion angle and old mud tires that balanced just fine, but were slightly out of round.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back