Question for dog owner expert

Yep, it can be attributed to diet, my wife is an RVT and they have prescription food by Science Diet or Eukanuba to reduce and control shedding.:)

I have a short haired dog that shed like no tomorrow. The special brush as previously mentioned helps clear out the undercoat but what made even as much a difference was diet.

It was recommended by several vets however they all said to convert the dog slowly. Many have negative reaction at first. Mine didn't...he can eat anything, anytime in whatever quantity :p Anyways, it surprisingly made a difference with my dog. We have all hard surfaces in the house so its easy to see how long before dust (hair) bunnies start roaming. Previously it was at most 3 days now we don't get them before cleaning day rolls around.

Food is Avoderm. Petsmart is currently carrying it.

VENOMOUS1 said:
Yep, it can be attributed to diet, my wife is an RVT and they have prescription food by Science Diet or Eukanuba to reduce and control shedding.:)
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

yessir, we have allways hed eskimo spitz, and you know they are very long haired and shed like crazy, but diet is most important.

even eggs and such help a ton:)

Chuck B said:
We have all hard surfaces in the house so its easy to see how long before dust (hair) bunnies start roaming. Previously it was at most 3 days now we don't get them before cleaning day rolls around.
Yea it starts to look like the wild west with those hay balls rolling around if we don't vacuum house like 2x's a week!:D

We were using an oil for our dogs that you put in their food. Shed X I think. Took about 3 weeks and worked great. Size chart on bottle, think it was about a tablespoon

Ironhead said:
I got a fat beagle hound that sheds worst than the hairball cat of my wifes ,,i have tried many shampoos that promise to cut down on shedding but non seem to work ,,,anyone got a magic shampoo ,,hell if i could cut it down just in half i would be happy:dontknow:

Kinda in the dogs genes, Can't really stop it. My dane sheds bad 2 times a year, I'm sure I dont have to explain what seasons

Change his diet, its gotta be the food, consult a vetenarian....did i spell that right

Nair?????:dontknow: :marchmellow: :dontknow: :marchmellow: :rock:

Need for Speed said:
As a Military Working Dog Kennel Master, I recommend you buy a brush called "Furminator" and brush daily until the hair you get starts to reduce. Then brush "as needed" but no less than once a week. The brush is expensive, but well worth it. I have 10 dogs in my kennels and we brush them at least every other day. Just my .02 cents worth.

The Furminator is IT... reduced the shedding by 80% around here:rock: :rock:

ntw0rk said:
It is most likely not the shampoo, but something in the diet.

Shedding is sometimes a symptom of something else going on. There may be something in his diet that he is allergic to, or something like that.

If you look closely at his skin, does it look normal? Not reddish or even overly pink? No rashes, or excess scratching?

It can be the shampoo if your washing them to much. every time you wash your dog you wash away the oil in there coats which helps keep them from shedding and dry skin,It can also just be the food. It Is not giving him the nutrients he needs and the rest just turns to fat:marchmellow: nutromax is a good all natural food, you should see changes to his coat real quick if it is the food. Also you can add an egg or two into his dry food and better yet is omega 3 fish oil works wonders.

Last edited:
Ironhead said:
figures coming from someone who lives in dallas:D

best i could do on such short notice :marchmellow: :marchmellow: :marchmellow: :D

I have a short haired dog that shed like no tomorrow. The special brush as previously mentioned helps clear out the undercoat but what made even as much a difference was diet.

It was recommended by several vets however they all said to convert the dog slowly. Many have negative reaction at first. Mine didn't...he can eat anything, anytime in whatever quantity :p Anyways, it surprisingly made a difference with my dog shampoo for dandruff. We have all hard surfaces in the house so its easy to see how long before dust (hair) bunnies start roaming. Previously it was at most 3 days now we don't get them before cleaning day rolls around.

Food is Avoderm. Petsmart is currently carrying it.

What risky ingredients should I avoid when buying dry dog food?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back