Question for fellow QC guys?

ViperCLKGTR

Reaction score
Does anyone drive in low gear? I've always just driven in Drive but I bumped into a Lightning guy and he says he puts it in 1 or 2 to drive around in town for quick romps that "pop up".

I like the idea of having instant power but at the same time I don't wanna put any extra stress on the tranny, then again would it stress the tranny anymore than regular, it would be less shifting? Im stuck at a loss, transmissions scare me haha

Yes RC guys we know, we know....

I shift mine in first and second all the time, but my tranny has "a few" upgrades! Lol. I would say on a stock tranny it's gonna be tough on it! It may build a little more heat also.

6 SPEED SWAP!!!!!!

I just leave the tow/haul button on to keep it from getting into 4th gear. It gets into second instantly when you punch it as long as you have that on.

It's been sooo long ago... :p
I manually shifted mine during races, left it in drive otherwise. It takes no time to hit tow/haul and be prepared if you KNOW you're about to race ;):burnout:
Like mentioned, you'll just get worse mileage leaving it in 3rd or whatever. Likely burn out clutches faster as tranny will run much hotter as well. :(

Frankly running in a lower gear in town never occurred to me. :rock: 1st my "in town" consists of 90% 50 mph or above. 2ndly when I put the peddle to the floor the tranny always jumps to the appropriate gear. Anything under 50 mph and it will break the tires loose :rock: so can't see the need to waste gas and keep the engine revved up higher than need be. :dontknow: But that is just me, others here have a lot more experience Mexican racing than I. :D

Does anyone drive in low gear? I've always just driven in Drive but I bumped into a Lightning guy and he says he puts it in 1 or 2 to drive around in town for quick romps that "pop up".

I like the idea of having instant power but at the same time I don't wanna put any extra stress on the tranny, then again would it stress the tranny anymore than regular, it would be less shifting? Im stuck at a loss, transmissions scare me haha

Yes RC guys we know, we know....

I always leave mine in drive with the O/D off in town. Races are usually over in a couple hundred feet anyway, so i'ts pretty easy to pull it down into low if you think you need it.

Id never do something like that.

I would not inflict additional heat on an already weak transmission unless I knew I was going to race someone. There is no point cruising around in a low gear.

Manual transmission is different though. Although I don't keep it in low gears unnecessarily either.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back