question on "tuner" program / ecu programming.

aziroc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I have been looking over a few different mods I'm going to do and I keep coming across the same 2 for the computer;

1. SCT tuner. From what I can tell it just changes the shift points and timing. Does it do anything else worth wild and I am just missing it? Seems like HP Tuners could do the same for less. That being said, a nice thing is u can put the factory tune back on.

2. "Performance tune". idk what else to call it, but it's the first option on this page,
https://theviperstore.com/RAM-SRT10_Products_Performance_Engine.htm
The plus is it seems to do alot more and gets alittle more details vs a "one size fits all" tune. But a negative is if it goes south or the time is bad...or heaven forbid u start getting CEL's.

if anyone has either of them them, could they chime in. the SCT I would prefer but dont get how 1 says 80hp and 1 is 30hp. *dont get me wrong...80hp would be awesome from a tune...but that's kinda hard to believe and somewhat unheard of. The 30 is alittle more believable.

A tune for a QC provides the most dramatic increase(s) in performance. The power numbers stated are "under the curve" or sometime before peak power.
There is a whopping increase in torque (cylinder pressure) and it isn't uncommon to drop a full second off your e.t. (if you race your truck). It is BY FAR the best performance increase for the money. I remember mine was up around 80 ft. lbs of torque after the tune and 25-30 horsepower up top.
Tunes can also play around with 3-4 shift points (again auto-trans), fan duty-cycles, shift-firmness, remove Torque-Management" and of course alter Air-fuel and Ignition-timing tables.
Have a "Valet-Tune" created so you can protect your engine if someone else needs to drive it.
Find a good tuner that has experience with these engines. They don't tolerate detonation for very long and it's a fine line between an increase in power and popping a piston sometimes.
JTEC controllers (Your ECU) can have a mind of it's own and a "simple" change somewhere can have an adverse affect somewhere else in the program, if you aren't familiar with them.
That result can be catastrophic.
Good tuners are out there and so are bad ones so ask around before you start.

Last edited:
Question:
04-05 are JTEC but didn't they switch in 06 is NGC CAN bus for ecu?

Question:
04-05 are JTEC but didn't they switch in 06 is NGC CAN bus for ecu?

That would be a question for a tuner.

They switched in the Jeeps for 2006 and newer, but I think the SRTs carried over the JTEC units for 2006 and they look the same to me.

I don't know for sure what wizardry is lurking inside the case though.

Last edited:
Humm interesting. I can ask Torrie? I plan on getting my tune in the next couple weeks..

The SCT device is the tool used to apply the tune to your truck. You can then choose your tuner from there..or by it already loaded with basic a tune in it.

There is nothing wrong with a canned (mail-order) tune to start with.

My first tune way back when was from B&G and it worked really well. Back then, I physically swapped my original ECU for one they mailed me.

There wasn't a hand-held unit (like SCT) to install tunes myself (late 2005).

If you have a stock or nearly stock truck, it is relatively straight forward for a knowledgeable tuner to create a tune for you that will work quite well you can safely install it yourself with a hand-held controller.

I've likely had (30) different tunes in my truck from at least (5) different individuals but I kept making changes that required tweaks to the tunes.
Small changes don't typically require a change in the tune but bigger ones (cam swaps, increase in compression, bigger injectors, nitrous, forced induction, cylinder head swap, etc.) do.

If a tuner can be there to watch the all-important Air-Fuel ratios at various rpm, loads and throttle positions and to listen for detonation (or see it on a laptop as it comes from the knock-sensors, if your truck uses them), the better job he can do for you. Personally, I like a loading-style dyno that can simulate road conditions (like a Mustang).

The more data they have at their disposal during the tuning sessions, the better tune they can provide for you.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back