Questions about becoming a police officer?

GotRidOfTheHemiForThis

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know we have some officers of the law on this forum was kinda wondering you thoughts on the job and well how to even work towards becoming one maybe. This sounds like a path thats right up my alley for my types of interests.
Just been thinking a lot lately and well I dont know if a desk is in my future with my work back round to be honest.

DON'T DO IT!!! It's not worth the hassle or pay.. Believe me, I've been there long enough to learn there IS something better out there.. But if you're cut out for it, then by all means.. But it'll open your eyes and change you.. Likely for worse..

If your dream is to treat people like crap and avoid making a real difference in the world, by all means go ahead. If what you want to do is go after speeders and assert your modicum of authority, it is the job for you.

If you want to make a difference, join the military or run for office.

LoveThisTruck said:
What's your work backround?

Well always wanted to join the military but the little woman wouldnt let me, so I picked a great crazy stupid career that well I believe is worse than being an officer of the law. Im a tower tech, aka I climb really big towers all over the place and install equit so peoples dam cell phones work. Rain, snow, cold ive been in it all and survived, made to feel my life is worthless from bosses and companies for phones, long hours, no motivation in like im doing any good in the world, injuries ect. Always was interested in law enforcement and well it to me seems like a rewarding career, helping people, making a difference and working towards an overall goal of making it to detective would be absolutely awsome! I love that type of stuff and always did so I figured Id ask some seasoned vets to see what they thought, my only downfall would be I have tattoos on my arms and I wear glasses or contacts. Just a thought considering im in school for business and nearly have my ba in business management just dont think ill be happy in that field entirely due to my belief that most business is bs and the office politics dont mesh well with someone who is used to working for a living. I could care less if judy had a good weekend id rather be at my desk getting my work accomplished and well they don't seem to like that now adays and well I dont have 5000000billion years of experience to even get a shot as it would seem in current times. Plus working in IL aka chicago is a fkin joke I dont have a lot of backdoor hand shakes to get anywhere or know anyone important ya know just more B.s......

seth said:
If your dream is to treat people like crap and avoid making a real difference in the world, by all means go ahead. If what you want to do is go after speeders and assert your modicum of authority, it is the job for you.

Are you a police officer?? Or are you one who hates um? Just curious??

Become a firefighter, we get the same benefits as a cop without all the hate

GotRidOfTheHemiForThis said:
Are you a police officer?? Or are you one who hates um? Just curious??

Well I never did like em much. Every LEO that I have ever met in my personal life has the need to seek out and get power because they failed to get what they perceive to be respect. I am not looking to start a flame war, just don't like them. I know more punk kids that became LEO then anything else.

seth said:
Well I never did like em much. Every LEO that I have ever met in my personal life has the need to seek out and get power because they failed to get what they perceive to be respect. I am not looking to start a flame war, just don't like them. I know more punk kids that became LEO then anything else.

i agree an ahole is an ahole bro but not everyone of them is ya know:dontknow:

GotRidOfTheHemiForThis said:
i agree an ahole is an ahole bro but not everyone of them is ya know:dontknow:

Hey I have worked in politics long enough to know politicians are all the same, they need to be loved and feared. Fact is people in a line of work all exhibit similar traits. LEO just happen to crave respect and power. Consultants are all devoid of self confidence.

If u want to follow a path into law enforcement, there are many things that you must do to have a shot of even making it to the academy. I am a deputy and we have to go through the custody system and work the jails before we hit the street. I dont know if thats what it is like where you are from. You need to be in good shape, be able to write...alot...have a pretty clean past, it doesnt have to be squeaky but you know what I mean. You need to study the oral exam that the department you are applying for gives because what you answer determines if you will be hired. Also, you need to be in good health. this only scratches the surface of what it takes just to get hired into the academy...and the academy is a whole other story...

also, only 2 percent of the people that apply make it into the academy, and only 65-70 make it through that.

seth said:

You made my skin boil and I don't even wanna be a cop....

Seth, thats a pretty stupid statement stereotyping all cops as assholes. What a crock of sh!t. Yes the highway patrol loves writing tickets because thats theyre main job is traffic enforcement, but police and sheriffs have crime cars that go for more than writing tickets. How about taking rapists, murders, child molesters, wife beaters and so on to jail. God what assholes we are and we really dont make a difference. Yes there are cops that let the authority go to their heads, and quite frankly I cant stand people like this. But to say that we treat people like crap and avoid making a difference, thats just ignorant.

quadster2005 said:
Seth, thats a pretty stupid statement stereotyping all cops as assholes. What a crock of sh!t. Yes the highway patrol loves writing tickets because thats theyre main job is traffic enforcement, but police and sheriffs have crime cars that go for more than writing tickets. How about taking rapists, murders, child molesters, wife beaters and so on to jail. God what assholes we are and we really dont make a difference. Yes there are cops that let the authority go to their heads, and quite frankly I cant stand people like this. But to say that we treat people like crap and avoid making a difference, thats just ignorant.

Thank you for what you do!!!:rock: I hate cops but I love what you guys do...;)

KRAZYSRT10 said:
Thank you for what you do!!!:rock: I hate cops but I love what you guys do...;)
Thanks! I understand why were not liked. Its definetly understandable. Even some cops dont like cops. I know I didnt get this job to be an asshole and write tickets..hell no! If you met me you would not even know I was a cop.

quadster2005 said:
Thanks! I understand why were not liked. Its definetly understandable. Even some cops dont like cops. I know I didnt get this job to be an asshole and write tickets..hell no! If you met me you would not even know I was a cop.

My Uncle's a cop. I totally respect him and all other cops. But it doesn't mean I have to like you phuggers!;) :p :p :p

For all of those that say they hate cops. What would our country be like if there was no law enforcement?

We are not perfect by a long shot, but we are still better than any other country out there in my opinion.

Sorry if that offends some of our non-US members, but I believe it to be true.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back