Racing Helmet??

USMC11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm hopin' yous guys can help me out with something...

So I'm lookin' at going to the track this year and after looking at the requirements, it looks like I may need an "SFI Approved" helmet. Does this mean a regular DOT approved helmet will work or are their special helmets for drag racing?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
some require snell 2000.
picture4qf32291858_std.png

Depends on the track how firm they are on minimum requirements. Track here never looks at my helmet....they will only say something if I dont have it on.......I bought the cheapest one I could find ($50).....

If u want to go cheap. Get a motorcycle helmet.
If u want serious protecion for not big $$. I would prefer a arai gp5-k or gp6-k
That is a race helmet for karting and motorsport combined.

I never understood why anyone would want to "cheap out" on something that is meant to save there life. :dontknow:

Don't bend the rules. It's for your safety. SFI and Snell are certifications of testing to meet crash, fire and material testing such as high speed impact. DOT does not meet these requirements. The Snell dates expire every few years as material used deteriates over time and is no longer safe. These rules apply to all types of safety equipment. The last thing you want is for a hemet to crack open on impact at over 100 mph. Any Tech inspector worth his salt will enforce these rules.

Don't bend the rules. It's for your safety. SFI and Snell are certifications of testing to meet crash, fire and material testing such as high speed impact. DOT does not meet these requirements. The Snell dates expire every few years as material used deteriates over time and is no longer safe. These rules apply to all types of safety equipment. The last thing you want is for a hemet to crack open on impact at over 100 mph. Any Tech inspector worth his salt will enforce these rules.

I got to agree on this.

listen folks it really doesn't matter....if you look at the crash/impact standards,(snell, dot) expensive helmets aren't really keeping you any safer.......the rating of impact that the higher end helmets meet over the cheaper helmets are irrelevant because at those level of impacts you would be a frickin vegetable, if you survived at all! Sport bike Rider did a huge helmet test a few years ago that discussed all of this with fancy figures and such...... Now I will tell you that i only like Shoei or Arai helmets which are big money and the only thing you get over cheaper helmets that is worth anything is COMFORT!!! I get little to no wind noise with my Shoei and it's balanced well which makes it a ton more comfortable.... Not to mention....your in a car.....not on a bike.....a cheap walmart helmet will do jsut fine.....unless your a pro street racer and your doing some serious racing with high speed rides......

Last edited:
I've seen more than enough motorsports fatalities in my career as a Race Official and Tech Inspector in Nascar, Indycar, SCCA and Formula 1. I've also seen that proper safety equipment saves lives and serious injury. I worked hard for years and reached being appointed Chief Technical Inspector for the United States Grand Prix Formula 1. Don't be an idiot and tell someone to go to Walmart for a helmet.

I've seen more than enough motorsports fatalities in my career as a Race Official and Tech Inspector in Nascar, Indycar, SCCA and Formula 1. I've also seen that proper safety equipment saves lives and serious injury. I worked hard for years and reached being appointed Chief Technical Inspector for the United States Grand Prix Formula 1. Don't be an idiot and tell someone to go to Walmart for a helmet.

not a mid 13 sec truck!

But a arai racing helmet for 1500$ is a lot of money for safety.
Or a simson because ur american guys.. Those are not cheap to...
The only difference between a motorcycle helmet and those are the materials there made of.
Motorcycle helmet is plastic. And arai and simson racinghelmets are from carbonfibre.... But the big deal is your neck protection. Do not forget that.
Its a big safety isseu to protect your neck, because thats taking a very big hit
Beleave me, because i race professional 125cc shifter go-karts.

I guess there are those that don't think our trucks won't get into trouble at speed. I've seen pics on this site of srt's that have been in violent crashes. Drag strips have concrete walls that don't move and I wouldn't like to hit one in a 13.2 run. Be safe! You can find SA2005 rated helmets at JEGS or Summit for $250.00. I'm sure there are lots of choices. A helmet does not have to be carbon fibre. The amount of weight the neck has to support in G forces is part of the formula. The higher the risk the more protection you want. Comfort is only one of the benefits of a properly fitting helmet. Padding is rated by compression from impact forces. Your brain is like a melon and can be damaged.

listen folks it really doesn't matter....if you look at the crash/impact standards,(snell, dot) expensive helmets aren't really keeping you any safer.......the rating of impact that the higher end helmets meet over the cheaper helmets are irrelevant because at those level of impacts you would be a frickin vegetable, if you survived at all! Sport bike Rider did a huge helmet test a few years ago that discussed all of this with fancy figures and such...... Now I will tell you that i only like Shoei or Arai helmets which are big money and the only thing you get over cheaper helmets that is worth anything is COMFORT!!! I get little to no wind noise with my Shoei and it's balanced well which makes it a ton more comfortable.... Not to mention....your in a car.....not on a bike.....a cheap walmart helmet will do jsut fine.....unless your a pro street racer and your doing some serious racing with high speed rides......

I read the same article when I had my Busa. I'm still not gonna cheap out on any helmet.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back