Radiator cap leak...here we go...

Veneno

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought a 05 QC SRT10, 52k miles, good condition, runs great. I noticed white/red residue on the passenger side of the motor after the 4hr drive home. No noticeable issues with the drive, ran around 200 degrees coolant temp the whole way home, engine oil temp around 205. The radiator cap appeared to be a bit old/loose so I replaced it and hoped it fixed it. It didn't, truck runs the same, electric fan works, isnt overheating. The coolant looks a bit brown and the reservoir is filled past the max fill line.
I wrapped a rag around the radiator cap just in case it started spraying again, it wouldnt spray my whole passenger side of the engine bay. Took me around 2 hours to clean it up. It only seems to do it when driven long distances. I bought a warranty when I bought the truck just in case, I don't want to use it unless I have to. Any thoughts?
I'm thinking about replacing the thermostat or at least testing it, maybe flushing the coolant system and replace it with fresh stuff. I'm also thinking about getting a coolant system pressure tester and see what's going on. Last resort would be to do a compression/leakdown test. Has this happened to any of you guys? I'd like to enjoy my new truck, hope it's not a pita.

Do all the things that you mentioned & if that doesn't work, use the warranty. That's the reason you bought it. I pay a $1000. a year for my warranty & it covers everything.
Just had a gauge replaced & the oil cooler inlet & outlet lines. Mine more than pays for itself every year. Good Luck.

When I got my truck it had a similar problem. It turned out being the hose to the expansion tank. The angle of the hose between the rad neck & the fan shroud retainers. It was to much like a 90deg bend. It needs to come off the nipple straight about 3" (toward the rear of the truck) then softly loop around to the fan shroud retainers. Wish I had a picture to show you exactly what I'm talking about. A small ziptie makes an good hose clamp.

Be sure to use the corect coolant. You need Zerex G-05 only with a 70% coolant & 30% distilled water mix. I take a 5 gal bucket dump in 2 coolant & 1 water mix, pour back in jugs. You will need to do this twice to make enough to fill the system.

Good advice, so important to have a service history with these or buy from original owner's.

Good advice, so important to have a service history with these or buy from original owner's.

That was my problem unfortunately. God only knows what was done to the poor thing before I got it. Till I'm done with her she will be a solid performer.

Thanks for the advise guys, I'm really hoping it's that simple and the hose from the expansion tank to the rad neck is the fix. Just got home from working graveyards, I'll check in a few when I wake up. Keep the ideas coming!

If the expansion tank is to over full it will blow out the over flow hole at the top when the motor gets hot and everything expands. Remember to clean this tank out when you do your cooling system service. Another problem area to look at is the heater hoses. If not secured correctly they can lay on the right upper control arm. This will wear a hole in them.

I think I may have found the problem and fixed it. I zip tied the hose from the radiator neck to the expansion tank since I noticed it wet underneath it. I squeezed the upper radiator hose to get some pressure in the system and that little leak exposed itself. After the zip tie, I squeezed it again and it was pouring out of the radiator cap. I took it off, put it back on , and locked the pressure relief, made a tight seal. Since the radiator was a bit low, I topped it off with denatured water. Wrapped a rag around the cap just in case and drove it. No leak as of yet, and hopefully for good. Ill report back if it does come back. Thanks for the help guys!

Glad to help. You would think some engineer would have come up with a better rad cap idea after 40 years. The expansion jug set up (like G-M etc.)is no better.

Well, good thing I didnt go for that 4 hour test drive. The coolant issue seems to be fixed but I now have a power steering fluid leak. It may also have a oil leak from the lines. I know for sure the power steering is leaking because the reservoir is empty, the a/c compressor has some fluid dripping from it which sits right underneath the p/s reservoir. I bought a warranty with the truck but I'd hate to use it on this. There's what looks like an aluminum block with two lines going to it in front of the front passenger side tire that is leaking also. What all lines are common to leak on these trucks? I can't even drive this thing. Thanks in advance.

Well, good thing I didnt go for that 4 hour test drive. The coolant issue seems to be fixed but I now have a power steering fluid leak. It may also have a oil leak from the lines. I know for sure the power steering is leaking because the reservoir is empty, the a/c compressor has some fluid dripping from it which sits right underneath the p/s reservoir. I bought a warranty with the truck but I'd hate to use it on this. There's what looks like an aluminum block with two lines going to it in front of the front passenger side tire that is leaking also. What all lines are common to leak on these trucks? I can't even drive this thing. Thanks in advance.

That block on the passenger side front is the oil cooler. The oil cooler lines are notorious for leaking, there are many good options for replacement over the OEM

Yessir it sounds like you'll need the PS line that goes in top of PS pump and both oil cooler lines.

Ok, thanks guys. So is that block a motor oil cooler? My deductible is only $50, I'm going to see is my warranty will cover these so I'm not forking out $450. I'd really rather replace them myself, I don't like other people working on my cars.

Ok, thanks guys. So is that block a motor oil cooler? My deductible is only $50, I'm going to see is my warranty will cover these so I'm not forking out $450. I'd really rather replace them myself, I don't like other people working on my cars.

Yessir engine oil cooler. ;)
You're actually better doing them yourself as vendors like myself offer a much better alternative than the stock lines they'll replace them with that will leak again :burnout:

Yup, get lines from trusted vendors, V1R (aka Scott), and JTSVP. Oil lines are somewhat easy, never did the ps lines although they look to be seeping a little on mine. How many miles on it?

Also, I have the factory hydraulic radiator fan, not electric.

53k miles, that's what I'm thinking, they might not even cover the lines. I'll find out later.

All the trucks have a hydaulic powered fans. Monday the shop was ready to road test my truck after installing the new motor. Now the power steering pressure line coming off the pump started leaking. So I ended up ordering the braided line kit from Tony @ JTSVPerf. Had him over night them to the shop. Going to call @ 5:00 to see if they made it. Let you know how they work out.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back