Rare 03 srt10

Geodriller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey bro. i am tired of my sleepy ass 5.9 with 210,000 miles in my work truck. it is heavy, and with the aggressive tires and size/weight of the truck it gets shitty ass gas milage. thinking bout doing an engine swap. did your 03 have a Hemi? was it even offered that year? also:

What options do i have for a 96 ram 1500 4X4? (Engine)

What all do i need to put a cummins in besides the engine, comp/harness, and tranny?

If you still have your 03 engine, are you willing to sell?

All these questions are not just for Justin, just askin him if he has his engine. i would appreciate others comments and thoughts on the subject of an engine swap.

what i want outa my truck:

better gas milage
more power
just plain want a turbo diesel to start messin with. :rock:

There are tons of 98-02 rams out there stupid cheap. Unless you are partial to your truck, i would sell it for what you can get out of it and get you one already with the diesel. Know thats not what you want to hear and youve already thought about it, but you asked for opinions. There will be unexpected costs, headaches, downtime. I would just get a solid foundation to start playing with. Crazy tq to be had in a good setup.

Sell the truck and buy a cummins if you want a turbo diesel, a rebuild of the 5.9 could get you a little bit better mileage and plenty more power depending on what you have done

There are tons of 98-02 rams out there stupid cheap. Unless you are partial to your truck, i would sell it for what you can get out of it and get you one already with the diesel. Know thats not what you want to hear and youve already thought about it, but you asked for opinions. There will be unexpected costs, headaches, downtime. I would just get a solid foundation to start playing with. Crazy tq to be had in a good setup.

Sell the truck and buy a cummins if you want a turbo diesel, a rebuild of the 5.9 could get you a little bit better mileage and plenty more power depending on what you have done

Jeff, i have thopught about it yes, and you are mostly correct,

But the price of any truck like that, even an older one is much more expensive. hell, its hard to find one for a good price. they are sellin for 10k with 200k miles on em. but if i can find an engine for say 2k, i will be ahead of the game. still n ot sure though. ther is an eveo i am thinkn bout to take to work and the truck can sit. plus i plan on gettin a company truck next year. which means no more work gas money. the company pays fuel cost:rock:

i have thought about buildikng the engine for more power. but a gas engine will still get shitty mpg. if i go diesel, i can jack the truck up, put bigger tires, so on and so forth and still get the same mpg. hell my buddies is stupid fast and powerful an he can pull a tractor behind his truck and still get 24mpg on the interstate

look into the cummings more, few guys at work have them, they tell me a certain year had some issues/problems more than other years did.

all of them have the 01 down body style.

look into the cummings more, few guys at work have them, they tell me a certain year had some issues/problems more than other years did.

all of them have the 01 down body style.

yeah, i heard the same thing. my buddy has ben doin research on this for a while. there ar a couple years that are by far the best. i believe he said it had somethin to do with emmissions control. but some of them came with much more power. same thing wit cheby and furd. new engines and

What kind ok engine swapping experience do you have? Your going to have 2k MIN. in the engine, another 2k in the trans, another few hundred in the t case, then there is the wiring harness. Then you have to start thinking about the front suspension

I can't remember exactly, but I'm pretty sure that if the #53 is on the side of the block on drivers side towards the front, u want to stay clear of that block due to they were a bad cast and the block will crack if increasing the power to it! They were 98-01's if I recall. I'm sure others have heard this also.???

Yea mine had 5.9 and srt10 bolted right in with no mods but dodge is gay when it comes to how they designed things. Most cars have lots of interchangeable parts not dodge lol. I litterally had to change EVERY SINGLE PIECE of wiring from my sport to 05 srt10 spec. If your lookin to go diesel sell the truck and buy a diesel. U can find one with like 100k(diesel thats barley broken in) for cheap im sure. Shoot me a pm and ill give u my number if u want more info. Im busy all dah saturday thoughthough

You can buy my Black 05 QC geo and save the head ache and pains lol

Yea mine had 5.9 and srt10 bolted right in with no mods but dodge is gay when it comes to how they designed things. Most cars have lots of interchangeable parts not dodge lol. I litterally had to change EVERY SINGLE PIECE of wiring from my sport to 05 srt10 spec. If your lookin to go diesel sell the truck and buy a diesel. U can find one with like 100k(diesel thats barley broken in) for cheap im sure. Shoot me a pm and ill give u my number if u want more info. Im busy all dah saturday thoughthough

You can buy my Black 05 QC geo and save the head ache and pains lol

rare 03, you still have that 5.9 sittin around?

Ram vs cougar, can you pm me some info on your 05qc if its a diesel. proly gunna be more than i wanna spend, but wont hurt to ask:D

also, i have never been inside ANY engine let alone do a swap of any kind. i have been mostly a oil change and brake kind of guy. but i did all the work to my 10 myself and started gettin into other things like pullin/replacing the tranny in my 96.

But, there was a time when i never put a window or door in a house either. there was also a time i never planted shrubs or did landscaping. now i do my own landscaping and lawn care as a side job and also do home inprovements and go as far as building whole houses with my buddies.

Point being, you gatta start somewhere. If i have never done it, i see that as as much reason to start as any:dontknow::rock:

just rebuild the motor... that way everything you had from the beginning is already familiar with the rest of the truck...

or sell it...

or keep it and buy a dizzle...

just my opinion, but i wouldn't do the swap...too much headache and unexpected costs...

just rebuild the motor... that way everything you had from the beginning is already familiar with the rest of the truck...

or sell it...

or keep it and buy a dizzle...

just my opinion, but i wouldn't do the swap...too much headache and unexpected costs...

yeah, im thinkin your right.

i did think about rebuilding.. be fun and knowledgable. but if i rebuild the engine, your phone would ring off the hook with silly questions like, "where does the dipstick go again???" and what is the proper PSI for my right front tire??? you would have to change your number:argh::argh:

im gunna start lookin at diesels

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back