[RC] - Anyone else start off in 2nd gear????

vvv90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a 4:56 I don't see how it could hurt the clutch life.

:dontknow:

I've only done it a few times when I want to carry my speed from a starting left turn into traffic so I don't chirp the tires with a normal 1-2 shift while making a 90.

Opinions?

I always start out in 1st.:burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

If I am not standing completely still, I am in second when starting off slow. No problems on my end. :dontknow:

I start off in second lots of times. As a matter of fact I start off in third in 1/4 mile runs. This way i dont have to worry about missing third gear.:D :) ;)

Steve

Boomer has a solution for your 2nd to 3rd issue Steve.

I've done it a few times, also started off in 3rd a few times thinking it was 1st :dontknow:

My guess is that 2nd doesn't hurt the clutch if you don't slip it, there's so much TQ that you don't have to anyway. I am not a clutch expert, however.
If I burn up my clutch I may revise that theory.

Silverback said:
Ask the guys with 04's and the 4.10 gears about their clutchs.

I wouldn't start in 2nd gear myself... although it is an innovative approach to traction issues off the line......

I'm simply not sanguine abound the longevity of the disc or flywheel under those circumstances.... even with the hydraulics upgrade.

I'd err on the side of caution here........ maybe slip (feather) the clutch very judiciously upon launching if ya absolutely have to.... But starting in 2nd seems like a recipe for total clutch incineration (to me).....

D

Last edited:
Silverback said:
I have no idea why DC initially had the 4.10's put in the truck!! It makes starts from a stop in very slow traffic very tricky. Or just starting off on a steep hill! It becomes a practice on slipping the clutch!!! Cant wait till I go with 4.88's!!

Silverback said:
:dito:

All I could smell is that clutch burning when I tried the second gear launches.... gave it up, and stuck with 1st...first.

I guess the question I should really ask is, why the hell would you want to? What's it gaining you?

All it's doing is putting a greater strain on the drive train.

Silverback said:
I guess the question I should really ask is, why the hell would you want to? What's it gaining you?

All it's doing is putting a greater strain on the drive train.

Once again...can't argue with ya :)hello: :adore: :rolleyes: :beer: :beer: :beer: )... too much strain on her when getting 5500lbs out in second gear.... she was very unhappy with the idea, and have not done it since 2004. Can't imagine 4:56's would make it too much easier on the hydraulics.

lbstone said:
I have no idea why DC initially had the 4.10's put in the truck!! It makes starts from a stop in very slow traffic very tricky. Or just starting off on a steep hill! It becomes a practice on slipping the clutch!!! Cant wait till I go with 4.88's!!
I think they put them there to get the top speed record

Silverback said:

:withstupid: If your rolling, then 2nd can work, but I wouldnt do it from light to light. Its easier on the truck to go 1st - 3rd (skip 2nd), then 2nd from a line; if your looking to shift less.

yep, 04's are truely the FASTEST production trucks in THE WORLD.:rock: the 4:56 combo wouldn't get it past the 147mph(record) the lightning held.

Last edited:
SANCHOBA said:
yep, 04's are truely the FASTEST production trucks in THE WORLD.:rock: the 4:56 combo wouldn't get it past the 147mph(record) the lightning held.

Never heard that before. Where did you get that information from?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back