RC Hitch

the hydraulics aren't the weak point for towing - they're a weak point regardless... it's the clutch disc and improper driver usage that causes failures...

but what do i know... i only put 95k miles on the first oem clutch;)
Dan is always right. Its wise to take anything he writes as scripture. Hydraulics only disengage the clutch, the disc and weak pressure plate cause the problems with towing. Not the hydraulics. That and the ride height limited tongue weight capacity long before the rating of the installed hitch. That and the bands being properly tightened in the transmission of the QC. (if your going to do any continuous towing with a QC install a trans temp sensor! Proper driving technique and common sense and you can tow what you want within reason.

With my '05 I hauled a 32' Sea Ray Sundance 320 for a friend that had it wet docked. He had me pull it for him 3 hours away to be dry docked. Used a 3 axle trailer that had it balanced to a 350lb tongue weight. Flipped a 6 or a 9" drop hitch upside down to raise the tongue up because my rear was dropped 2 inches with JTSVP blocks. Boat WITHOUT trailer was 13,800 lbs. I even pulled it out of the water from the boat ramp. It pulled it on the highway from 45-50 mph.
43716_p_t_640x480_image05_image01.jpg

Last edited:
Arrestme....the dealer had to put the TOTAL hitch under the rear bumper, they told me their mechanic knew how to do it without removing the rear bumper cover, he just gets it up in and totally across the vehicle.....the factory doesn't want you to tow because of the clutch only, if you do it once in awhile and NEVER go to 6 th gear when towing you will be okay

No they didn't have to put total hitch under the truck, it comes with it from the factory. In fact that's what the rear bumper is attached to. And towing in 6th gear wont hurt anything at all.

Dan is always right. Its wise to take anything he writes as scripture. Hydraulics only disengage the clutch, the disc and weak pressure plate cause the problems with towing. Not the hydraulics. That and the ride height limited tongue weight capacity long before the rating of the installed hitch. That and the bands being properly tightened in the transmission of the QC. (if your going to do any continuous towing with a QC install a trans temp sensor! Proper driving technique and common sense and you can tow what you want within reason.

With my '05 I hauled a 32' Sea Ray Sundance 320 for a friend that had it wet docked. He had me pull it for him 3 hours away to be dry docked. Used a 3 axle trailer that had it balanced to a 350lb tongue weight. Flipped a 6 or a 9" drop hitch upside down to raise the tongue up because my rear was dropped 2 inches with JTSVP blocks. Boat WITHOUT trailer was 13,800 lbs. I even pulled it out of the water from the boat ramp. It pulled it on the highway from 45-50 mph.
43716_p_t_640x480_image05_image01.jpg

32' is a big boat!! But I'd do it, too :D

Oh, and new sigline lol:rock::D

I bought the hidden hitch after talking to Dan as well. Bought it from Hitchanything.com for $99.95. Just checked the site, they are now on sale for $99.49.
Dammit wasted 46 cents:eek::D;)..should have waited Ha Ha

Last edited:
The Hidden Hitch I bought came with a long wire to use when snaking the back bolts into place. You have to hold your mouth just right with no more than 1/4 of your tongue out your mouth to one side for it all to work. There is no way you can install it without taking off the bumper cover and side cladding. Overall, it took about an hour to install with snaking the bolts into place taking most of that time. I've only towed an aluminum trailer with motorcycles on it, so I haven't had any clutch issues associated with towing.

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back