RC truck conversion to auto

Rcboy1972

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi I am a double amputee work accident in 2012, unable to drive manual trans want to know how hard to convert to auto trans in a RC,my other question is which model year would people recommend doing a conversion on as I know there will be problems with the crank sensor location on a 2004 just wondered if a later 2006 would be an easier option any help greatfully received

Both Scott and Tony have converted RC's to automatics. Maybe one of them will see this and post up what it takes to do it.

Alot depends on how much power you want to make. If it's going to be fairly stock then it would be a easy conversion if you used the stock auto the qc come with. Realistically it could be done fair cheap if you found a qc person wanting a 6spd conversion.

Pretty simple.

Buy these things or swap from a person with a QC who wants a 6-speed setup:

48RE transmission
Flex plate
Torque converter
Drive shaft
Slip yoke
U-joints
Column Shifter and linkages
Transmission cooler and lines
Transmission fluid dipstick
Swap dowel from left side of T56 to right side of 48RE transmission
48RE transmission mount
SCT with Automatic transmission Tune
Wiring harness- or splice- in necessary sensor pigtails for wiring
Automatic center console pieces and cup holder pieces
Patch up big hole in the floor of your truck
Bolts for all of the above stuff

Probably other things that I cant remember but that is a good place to start.

Pretty simple.

Buy these things or swap from a person with a QC who wants a 6-speed setup:

48RE transmission
Flex plate
Torque converter
Drive shaft
Slip yoke
U-joints
Column Shifter and linkages
Transmission cooler and lines
Transmission fluid dipstick
Swap dowel from left side of T56 to right side of 48RE transmission
48RE transmission mount
SCT with Automatic transmission Tune
Wiring harness- or splice- in necessary sensor pigtails for wiring
Automatic center console pieces and cup holder pieces
Patch up big hole in the floor of your truck
Bolts for all of the above stuff

Probably other things that I cant remember but that is a good place to start.

You gonna need the motor wire harness and the under dash harness if you use the qc auto and the stock pcm to control it.

Noooo the 48re is a turd!! If you're going to do it, do it right. A GM 4l80E or 6L80E would be your ticket bud.

Am I right in thinking the gm boxes or the tci 6speed are stand alone ecu controlled and if went the OEM route would need to swap ecus and harnesses from the donor QC

You may PM Outnumbered too. He looked at putting a Ford automatic in his QC and made a very compelling case as to why that was the best way to go.

Noooo the 48re is a turd!! If you're going to do it, do it right. A GM 4l80E or 6L80E would be your ticket bud.

I DISAGREE 100% with ya there Scott!! My 48re HTS Tranny has been PERFECT! I've had no issues with it since the HTS build, I didn't have any problems with mine before the build either!

You may PM Outnumbered too. He looked at putting a Ford automatic in his QC and made a very compelling case as to why that was the best way to go.

I thought about it, but never acted on it. It would more than likely be a very in depth swap. I'm not sure how you would address the electronic shifting of gears, unless you had some type of stand alone controller.

I wonder what the new 8 speed in the Hellcat would cost.......

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back