Rear diff gears

DRamSrt10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I did read the sticky thread "Speed in Gears" made by Silverback. I have been reading it like 4 times but I still don't understand what is the different between 4.10, 4.56 and 4.88? Can someone please educate me. Which should I get and who can I get it from? $? Thanks.

DRamSrt10 said:
Hey guys. I did read the sticky thread "Speed in Gears" made by Silverback. I have been reading it like 4 times but I still don't understand what is the different between 4.10, 4.56 and 4.88? Can someone please educate me. Which should I get and who can I get it from? $? Thanks.
The 4.10 will give more top end (came in 04's) 4.56's came on 05's easyer on the clutch and a little quicker out of the gate, 4.88's are alittle quicker yet. The parts can be had through our vendors like Xmetal, Roe,(unitrax co. makes them). and Stinker has a complete custom rear end assemble that will allow the use of 15" rims.

Really it is a matter of choice and what you are really going to use the truck for and the mods you may have or will have.

If ya want 4.88's pm me, got the complete kit:D :D

Last edited:
I understand that the 4.56 and 4.88 gives more speed. I would like to know what is the pro and con from the 4.56 and 4.88. I understand that my truck have 4.10 gears in it. I couldn't decide which to go with 4.56 or 4.88.

DRamSrt10 said:
I understand that the 4.56 and 4.88 gives more speed. I would like to know what is the pro and con from the 4.56 and 4.88. I understand that my truck have 4.10 gears in it. I couldn't decide which to go with 4.56 or 4.88.

The numbers represent a ratio ie; 4.10 means the for each 4.10 turns of the driveshaft the wheels go around 1 time, 4.88 revolutions of the driveshaft the wheels go around 1 time ect.
So the 4.10's wiil have more speed with Less RPM's of the engine (good for gas milage) at the same speed the 4.56's and the 4.88's will increse the RPM's at That same speed making it a bit more responsive.
What is the most likley thing you will be using the truck for????????
Freeway, drag racing?????????? both???????? or are you looking just for quicker acceleration ???

If the 4.10 give more top end than why is that the 04 Rc ran crappy 1/4 mile times. Somebody told me that after the 4.56's the 04 rc ran quicker 1/4 mile times

Annu Kumar said:
If the 4.10 give more top end than why is that the 04 Rc ran crappy 1/4 mile times. Somebody told me that after the 4.56's the 04 rc ran quicker 1/4 mile times

There is alot more to the 1/4 mile equation than just gears. However, the 4.56 gears will let you accelerate faster off of the line. 4.10s will have slightly more top end, but your not going to get there in a 1/4 mile. Hope this clears it up a little for you.

Well, my truck is my daily driving. I am planning to do some modified on it like roe sc, nos, header, caltrac and etc. I am mostly using my truck for daily driving and drag racing. Quicker acceleration would be nice too. I am just trying to decide which is right for me and my truck. In mass, there is a lot of snowing now. I am living at an apt with my father and the driveway is difficult to get out because it is uphill driveway. You know what I mean? Alexspop...are you saying that the 4.56 gears are the better to go with? What does the top end mean?

BTW: please excuse my grammar because I am a little tired and tried my best with the grammar. :)

DRamSrt10 said:
Alexspop...are you saying that the 4.56 gears are the better to go with? What does the top end mean? QUOTE]

I'm referring to the top speed when I say top end. If your truck is your daily driver, you are probably better off with 4.56s. I have 4.56 gears in my truck, and I can't even use 6th gear until I'm at 55 -60 mph. I would even consider the 4.88s if you don't do alot of highway driving.

we need some hard comparisons..reg.cabs with 4:56 versus 4:10, with similiar mods. ive' been led to believe the truck with the 4:10 will overtake a 4:56 in the quarter:dontknow:

Last edited:
SANCHOBA said:
we need some hard comparisons..reg.cabs with 4:56 versus 4:10, with similiar mods. ive' been led to believe the truck with thw 4:10 will overtake a 4:56 in the quarter:dontknow:

Thats what I was saying

SANCHOBA said:
we need some hard comparisons..reg.cabs with 4:56 versus 4:10, with similiar mods. ive' been led to believe the truck with the 4:10 will overtake a 4:56 in the quarter:dontknow:
**Everything else being equal**, the 4.56 geared truck will win! It's all about Torque Multiplication - The steeper the gear, the more torque (twist) is being put to the wheels.

I replaced the 4.10's in my '04 with 4.56's and picked up a 1/10th in the 60'. Which generally equates to 2/10's in the 1/4 mile.

Same with my Viper. Stock gears are 3.07. I replaced them with 3.55's and beat my previous 60' times by over a tenth.

If you are going to drag Race you must consider the the trap speed at the end of the 1/4 mile and how many RPM's you will be turning at the end of the strip.
Tire Diameter is factor also,as is how much HP you will be modding your truck to obtain. example: built Naturally Aspirated verses Forced Induction;

If NA lets say you have 475 RWHP you may have a trap speed of 110 mph and the RPM is 4500 you may benefit from 4.56's/ 4.88's vs. 4.10's, being the Red Line on the trucks is about 6000rpm's the higher gear ratio will allow the same speed, but the engine will be turning lets say 5200 RPM's at the finish line and will likely lower your ET a couple of 10th's of a second, but there is more! The tire diameter can also change your final gearing, say a 30" tire compared to the stock 32"?? Tall tire.

Forced Induction can yield 1000 RWHP and a higher trap speed, lets say 125 MPH. If the Final gearing is Not a low enough Ratio you could exceed the 6000 RPM limit before you even get to the end of the track. Again tire diam. could change all this also.

Availability of tires is another stumbling block due to the rim and tire combinations (limited) available for use on the trucks.

So you must take into consideration projected trap speed , gear ratio, and tire size to determine which Gearing / tire combo you need to run to get down the 1320 in the best time without over or under reving the engine.

And you have to balance all that with Street driving in mind also.

^^Thank You for typing all of that. I'm too tired to go into that much detail.:rock:

Hamrhead said:
^^Thank You for typing all of that. I'm too tired to go into that much detail.:rock:

My forehead hurts again :D :D :p ;) :rock:

bravo on the post includemeout, well said.....but i think to put it in a nut shell, 4.10's good for cruzing....4.56 good all round.....4.88's good for the strip....

Smokey said:
bravo on the post includemeout, well said.....but i think to put it in a nut shell, 4.10's good for cruzing....4.56 good all round.....4.88's good for the strip....

Ah not necessarily, with small Dia. tires you will most likely run out of RPM's befre you get to the end of the strip. Best to work it out first or you may end up over geared.

Use the gear/ tire, ect. calculator

http://www.gounitrax.com/formulas.htm

Last edited:
I will just interject this, if you have a steep driveway you should do 2 things.
Get 4:88's and always back in, otherwise your clutch will go prematurely.

As for the track, if you remian stock 4:88's will get you to the line without hitting the rev limiter, if you go with a SC, Nos or Turbo you will need to go with 4:56's. If you go TT, then I would guess you need 4:10's.

Just remember that 4:10's are harder on the clutch at low RPM's than the 4:56's or 4:88's. Some are even using 5:13's and are happy with it.

You said it is your Daily Driver, I would be thinking along the lines of drivability rather than whats best for the track. Thats not to say you can't ride the fence between the two.;)

I went with 4.88 gears in my new rearend. My truck has fully rebuilt motor, paxton, nitrous, and will be over 1000rwhp. I know that I'm going to hit overdrive at the very end of the track. The question is how early. My idea is that the lower gear ratio will get the truck moving faster and hook up better so that I'll gain more at the line than I lose at the end by hitting o/d. If I'm hitting redline too early and I feel like I'm losing too much I'll change to 4.56 and see how it compares.

The idea is to cross the line just before you hit redline. On the street 4.10's will get better mileage, 4.88's would be the best help with stoplight racing. 4.56 are a happy medium.

Joe

Scrambler1 said:
I went with 4.88 gears in my new rearend. My truck has fully rebuilt motor, paxton, nitrous, and will be over 1000rwhp. I know that I'm going to hit overdrive at the very end of the track. The question is how early. My idea is that the lower gear ratio will get the truck moving faster and hook up better so that I'll gain more at the line than I lose at the end by hitting o/d. If I'm hitting redline too early and I feel like I'm losing too much I'll change to 4.56 and see how it compares.

The idea is to cross the line just before you hit redline. On the street 4.10's will get better mileage, 4.88's would be the best help with stoplight racing. 4.56 are a happy medium.

Joe

RC Or QC? If RC you will run out of gear way too soon! Not sure of the QC

Scrambler1 said:

Joe

T, everybody has given good info here. There really is no right or wrong gear it all depends on your situation. Joe has summed it up very well in the quote above. I installed the 4.88's. For everyday driving its awesome. You shift a lot more and use 5th gear with speeds under 55 mph.

If you plan to SC your truck, 4.56 makes more sense as the rpms really spin up fast on my truck. I cannot imagine how fast they spin up with a SC'r in there. Marc will have to chime in and answer that.

I have not been to the track with my 4.88's yet. I have no traction in first or second gear so until I install my caltracs there is no point in going.

Keep asking the questions dude, that way you will make an informed decision on whats best for your needs.

patrick

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back