Rear diff gears

Outstanding guy's, keep the info coming, cause this is what a truck forum is all about.:rock: :rock: :rock: :D :D :D

Thanks for the information. I really don't have any more question because now I understand what is the different of the 4.10, 4.56 and 4.88. I think I am going to get the 4.56 gear until I get the SC then swap it back to the stock 4.10. What do you think? :dontknow:

You should be good with a 4.56 even with a SC. Assuming your staying with the stock size tire.

Yeah, I am staying with the stock size tire but I want to get the 17' eagle alloy wheels and M&H tires later. Will it affect the gear?

DRamSrt10 said:
Yeah, I am staying with the stock size tire but I want to get the 17' eagle alloy wheels and M&H tires later. Will it affect the gear?

What kind of mods and or power adders are you planning to get ?

DRamSrt10 said:
Thanks for the information. I really don't have any more question because now I understand what is the different of the 4.10, 4.56 and 4.88. I think I am going to get the 4.56 gear until I get the SC then swap it back to the stock 4.10. What do you think? :dontknow:
IMO, that's kind of a waste.

A 4.56 gear package from Untrax will cost you in the neighborhood of $400. Then figure on another $3-400 (at least) for the install. Then you have to break them in for 300 miles - which is really no big deal, but why even bother?

I say save that $700+ and just put it towards the S/C. Keep the 4.10's if you plan on S/C'ing.

Scrambler1 said:
I went with 4.88 gears in my new rearend. My truck has fully rebuilt motor, paxton, nitrous, and will be over 1000rwhp. I know that I'm going to hit overdrive at the very end of the track. The question is how early.

Joe
Dude, with 4.88's and all that power, you'll be hitting redline in 4th waaaaay before the end of the track!

I know tire size will make a difference, but did you check Silver's post about 'Speed In Gears' with different gear ratio's?
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32

With 4.88's and stock tire diameter, it's 110 in 4th. My '04 had a DC Tune and Full exhaust and went 111mph in the 1/4. When your truck is finished you should easily have TWICE the power mine did!

I'd bet with 4.88's and 1,000+hp, you'll be shifting into FIFTH at 2/3 track!:eek: Waaay too much gear...

Hamrhead said:
IMO, that's kind of a waste.

A 4.56 gear package from Untrax will cost you in the neighborhood of $400. Then figure on another $3-400 (at least) for the install. Then you have to break them in for 300 miles - which is really no big deal, but why even bother?

I say save that $700+ and just put it towards the S/C. Keep the 4.10's if you plan on S/C'ing.

Hmm...I agreed with you. I was planning to get the 4.56 gears and do the install by myself but since you made a good point. So, I am going to wait until I get the SC. :D

Tons and Tons of info:rock:

so my 2 cents:D

It all depends on what ya want, I went with 4.56 gears, but I also have a rear axle where I can run 15 inch rims and just about any size tire I choose so I can raise or lower my ratio with my tire choice, and I wanted the 4.56 to have fun on the street.

Now with you runnin the stock axle you are limited to at the very least a 16-17 inch rim with very few options of tall tires.

But bro, if ya drive more on the street and want to have a ton of acceleration and fun , do the 4.56, if ya want to go racin, well ya got tons of options, but for now stay with the 4.10's

Hey Stinker. How do it feel like to ride a truck with the 4.56 gears? Your rear axle is soooo sweet!! Yeah, I am going to stay with the 4.10 gear for now until I make a decision. Thanks guys for the information. You all rock! :rock:

DRamSrt10 said:
Hey Stinker. How do it feel like to ride a truck with the 4.56 gears? Your rear axle is soooo sweet!! Yeah, I am going to stay with the 4.10 gear for now until I make a decision. Thanks guys for the information. You all rock! :rock:

Honestly ya want notice much more than on take off, its much easier to leave a stop light with a 4.56, dont have to ride the clutch as much.

Other than that, its not too noticeable brohan:D

DRamSrt10 said:
I swapped out the 4.10's for 4.56's when my truck was relatively stock, and the best way I can describe it is - it makes 2nd gear feel almost like your first gear does now.

And it makes 1st gear, well, Fun!!:D :rock: :burnout: :rock: :D

It's definitely a Great Mod if your planning on simple bolt-ons.

When I had my truck, I did the 4.56's, Bellanger Headers w/ High Flow Cats, and a Magnaflow cat-back. Along with a DC Stage2 PCM and a K&N Filter. I only went to the strip once with these bolt-ons and managed a 12.66 @ 111.xx. With practice I'm sure I could've cut a couple more tenths off of that. I was shifting into 4th gear shortly after the 1/8 mile, but did have some RPM leftover in 4th when I went through the traps.

If you check Silverback's post at the top of this section - Speed In Gears - You'll see that 4th gear is good for 118mph w/ 4.56 gears, while 110mph is all 4th will do with 4.88's - Assuming you're running the stock tire height.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back