Rear Discs That Fit 15" Wheels, GROUP BUY???....No Grinding!!!!

fun2xlr8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I was just doing some research online, looking at what parts I can add to my junk rearend to make it race-worthy. It looks like Mark-Williams has a prostreet disc kit for Dana 60 rear ends. It doesn't say if it will work with the c-clip style rears like we have or not, but I will call and ask for more details tomorrow. On another part of their website they state that ALL of their disc brake kits will fit 15" wheels. Looks like the price is somewhere in the $700 range. Not sure because the description says "requires mods".

I will call for more info, but first I wanted to know if anyone else would be interested in a group buy on these things. If this kit will not work, I would be able to send my extra rear to them so they may develope a kit for us fellas. Not sure how many of us it would take to make it worth their while, but they do a lot of one-off stuff, so if we can get a few guys together buying the same kit, we may be able to make it happen and spare the lives of some innocent grinding discs!!

Let me know if you might be interested in this asap!!!!

Greg

Greg, let me know if I can help. I live 20 minutes from Mark-Williams , been to his place a couple of times. If he would like to look at our stock setup, I could swing past his place later in the afternoon when I get off work. I would just need the name of a contact person.

Ok Broke, thanks for the heads-up, but I am willing to bet if they need to build a kit, it would mean having a complete rear in the shop sitting on a bench for them to disect.

Greg

Im interested :) Im gonna find a way somehow, why cant diesel or regular ram 1500 rotors brakes calipers work ? Never heard a good reason why they wont? Im talking for the front and rear.

Viper7777 said:
Im interested :) Im gonna find a way somehow, why cant diesel or regular ram 1500 rotors brakes calipers work ? Never heard a good reason why they wont? Im talking for the front and rear.

They will not work because the axles are different. Ours are the only Dana 60 axles that are held in with c-clips (chevy style). Not sure why, but they are. All other mopar Dana 60 rears dating all the way back to the 60's are held in place at the end of the axle tube. Ours connot be held in that way, so therefore, the rotors are not interchangable. Which also means that our diffs are not interchangable.

Greg

I have been down this road and I believe that there are several issues that negate the "kit" without major changes including a different bolt circle.

FSTJACK said:
I have been down this road and I believe that there are several issues that negate the "kit" without major changes including a different bolt circle.
Well there goes that wet dream....:D

Quick

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Jack. In the interest of not treading a path already made, what company/companies have you talked to about this? Surely there is someone who can make the parts? Seems to me our bolt pattern is the same as the regular 1500s, and that bolt pattern fits smaller discs on the factory trucks. Just need to find a company willing to bridge that gap and walk through uncharted territory. Perhaps some adaptation of a Chevy 12-bolt disc with our bolt pattern that can be mounted to our axle flanges? Dunno, just throwing ideas out there.

Greg

I talked with a company from Florida called Aerospace Components about a year ago in regards to my 78 GMC truck brakes. They build everything in-house and everything is top quality. I got my electric water pump from them. They were the only company that would warranty an electric water pump for daily driven street use. When I asked if they could fit my truck, they claimed that if I sent them a spindle, they could build a set of brakes to fit any application. I am assuming they can do the same with the rears as well. I will see. If Mark-Williams cannot do it, I am sure AC can. Only reason I am going with MW first is because I can have them do the whole rear end at one place.

Greg

To answer a few questions.
Wheel Bolt pattern is the same between a SRT10 and the regular Ram PU.
Calipers will not swap over between the 2 because the caliper mounting brackets on the SRT10's have a wider bolt spacing.
Front calipers will not swap over without changing the whole knuckle.
Now I'll have to check this next weekend but MAYBE the rear caliper mounting flange on the Ram PU can be swapped over to the Dana rear end.
Thus you might be able to use the Ram rear brakes on the Dana.
I'll check when I'm off next Mon-Tue

Azmotorhead said:
Now I'll have to check this next weekend but MAYBE the rear caliper mounting flange on the Ram PU can be swapped over to the Dana rear end.
Thus you might be able to use the Ram rear brakes on the Dana.
I'll check when I'm off next Mon-Tue

Already knew the other stuff, but thanks for posting to inform the others who may be following the thread. As far as using the Ram brakes on our rearends, no it will not work. Axles are completely different and will not allow for their mounts. As well, we have c-clip reatined axles, and their axles are not. Because of all that, the only choice is to have a company like Mark Williams or Aerospace Components build us a set-up designed specificly for our trucks. That is why I started this thread, to see how many would be potentially interested in buying a unit like that, so I could tell the manufacturer how many we would be ordering, minimum.

Basicly, the only way a stock Ram rear would work is if you used the ENTIRE rear, housing, internals, calipers, everything. Then you would probably have to go find or custom make a spicer joint that would connect it to the driveshaft. That would most likely be the easiest way to go, but I am trying to pursue an option that anyone could employ without having to pick up a whole new rearend. Stay tuned, as I am very busy, but will be getting in touch with a few companies on this. I WILL NOT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER!!!!

Greg

1Fast400 said:
I should have a kit ready by end of next week. You can keep the same bolt pattern, fit a 15" rim on the truck, still have your abs and increase the strength dramatically. I should have it done on my truck by mid week. Once we confirm everything works, I'll list all the parts.

Crap, here I go spending more money. Great job fast400, I know you'll have quite a few customers waiting on your kit. I'll have to wait til next year for mine. Cant wait to see what you've come up with.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back