Recurring 48re Trans Leak Question

SlvrSnake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To keep this short this is the third time I have had a front pump leak or a TQ converter go bad over a course of about 20,000-25,000 miles. Truck has 37,000 now and this is the second transmission, installed around 12,000-15,000 miles.

Most recently the rear OD housing was replaced bc the bushing was worn out and the rear output bearing was bad which in turn ruined the bushing and caused the tailshaft seal to keep leaking. That's ok now. Relevance though is something else messed up, i.e. bent intermediate shaft and or front input shaft which is toasting the front pump seals causing a leak?

I have an extended warranty which is good for another year but if aftermarket parts would keep this from happening I would spend the coin in a second to keep this crap from happening. Taking this this thing to the dealer for this got old a long time ago.

Just looking for thoughts and opinions from anyone who might have suggestions on a course of action that is reasonable because aftermarket parts can add up real quick to just guess away.

My guess is the front input shaft but that is just a guess.

Thanks

I had a road runner that we pulled the motor out of. Somehow we managed to warp the flexplate, but did not know it at the time. That caused the seal to start leaking not long after we put it back together. When I pulled the tranny back out, the pump bushing was shot, seal was bad and the converter snout was worn. I would check the converter, if it is worn at the place that the bushing rides, could be a bent flexplate. Hope this helps.

that sucks. I still have my original tranny with 120k on it lol. Haven't had any issues, yet.

there have been a few issues with broken flex plates. Get the flexplate tested for cracks!!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back