Removing Lock nuts

Sharpimage

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, i'm in the middle of rotating my tires and both of my passenger side
lock nuts aren't budging.. I've tried torque wrench, impact wrench (electric),
PB blaster + tapping (lightly with extention and hammer), moving the vehicle and kicking ;) ....
I honestly don't know why it won't budge! The rest of the nuts
came off fine (torque wrench). I mean, even the impact wrench isn't budging them.
The only other solution i can try is my air impact wrench but the compressor
i use won't be back until tuesday.. Any other suggestions besides bringing it
somewhere? I've never had this much trouble getting a wheel off! :argh:

put on your socket and put a pipe on the handle that is 3 feet or so long and they will come right off..

SRT10VENOMOUS said:
put on your socket and put a pipe on the handle that is 3 feet or so long and they will come right off..

Thanks for the tip :) I tried a three foot bar and a ten foot bar
(someone hanging off the end) and it didn't budge... :dontknow:

Turn it the other way :D

I know what your going through right now. On my VW sand rail I was going to do brakes. There is a 36mm nut that holds the drum on. I tried for 2 days to get it off. PB blaster, heat, pipe. My compressor was at a friends house. As soon as I got the compressor and hooked the impact up........ it came right off. Good luck

walbert said:
Turn it the other way :D

I know what your going through right now. On my VW sand rail I was going to do brakes. There is a 36mm nut that holds the drum on. I tried for 2 days to get it off. PB blaster, heat, pipe. My compressor was at a friends house. As soon as I got the compressor and hooked the impact up........ it came right off. Good luck

hahah if only it was that easy! :D :marchmellow: I called NTB down the road
and i'm just gonn have them swap the passenger side front with the passenger
side rear and finish the rotation back at my house... Kinda ticked off that it
has come to this..

Sharpimage said:
Thanks for the tip :) I tried a three foot bar and a ten foot bar
(someone hanging off the end) and it didn't budge... :dontknow:

shit... thats about 1000lbs of tq

wd40 the heck out of it.. let it sit and try, try again.

SRT10VENOMOUS said:
shit... thats about 1000lbs of tq

wd40 the heck out of it.. let it sit and try, try again.

OR the person hanging on it was really small

130 lbs X 10 ft is still 1300 ft-lbs. You sure you are turning it the right way?

Anyway, I have removed stuck bolts by heating them with a blow torch (not red hot, but just until too hot to touch), and then spraying the hell out of them with penetrating lubricant (PB Blaster). As it cools, it sucks the penetrant into the threads. You may have to drill a small hole in the back of the lug nut so that the spray can get in there. It has worked well for me.

Good luck.

As previously stated....a little heat always worked for me. Back in my Coast Guard days we were doing a 'center section' rebuild on the 12cyl, 24 piston, supercharged and twin turbo'd diesel. Some of the couplers for the fuel injectors were a being a bit stubborn.

We ended up cutting off the ends of a snap on and craftsman 1 1/2" combination wrenches and slipping on a 6ft pipe. Two of us got under the pipe and with it on our shoulders we both pressed upward while another person had the torch full blast on the coupler. I watched in slow motion as the two wrenches turned then twisted under the force we were applying. The craftsman wrench snapped and the Snap on then completely twisted and lost grip. We picked ourselves up and found that the Snap on returned to nearly its original form. All the chrome had come off around the area it bent but still very usable.

We ended up getting another Snap on wrench, cutting the end off to replace the broken Craftsman, a larger torch and a few more rounds of sweat got it to finally release. :rock:

Wouldnt you want to keep the heat away from the rim??
It would damage the clear coat for sure on the rim.

Torch!!???

:burnout: Keep the heat away from the RIM!!! Take it to a tire shop before you ruin something!! :rock: :burnout:

Hucksrt10 said:
:burnout: Keep the heat away from the RIM!!! Take it to a tire shop before you ruin something!! :rock: :burnout:
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Hucksrt10 said:

:dito:

Been there done that...we ended up having to drill out the stud, and replace.
We had plenty of hands trying to get that fu@#*r off there...and it was a nightmare! Thanks Earl for the replacement rim!
lugnut.jpg

NBT said:
:dito:

Been there done that...we ended up having to drill out the stud, and replace.
We had plenty of hands trying to get that fu@#*r off there...and it was a nightmare! Thanks Earl for the replacement rim!
lugnut.jpg
Where did you get those lugs? :dontknow: Those are the ones that came with the Boyd Coddingtons that I got and I have had a hard time finding them.

amtrucker22 said:
Where did you get those lugs? :dontknow: Those are the ones that came with the Boyd Coddingtons that I got and I have had a hard time finding them.

Damn, I just threw 10 of them away yesterday...:argh:

I had the Mopar ones freeze up on also. I ended up drilling out the stud to get it off.

Now I don't use locks, so I don't have any problems.

Bill.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back