Replaced my brake pads and rotors at 21k and the new ones suck!

SnakeBite

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my mechanic is the Centric Posi-Quiet pads & Centric rotors on all four wheels and the braking is a joke compared to original. Yes is got rid of the squeal and dust which is great, but the performance is not there at all. I asked the mechanic if he seated them at pickup and them did it myself the next day just to make sure once I noticed the problem. Anyone else experience similair? I used these of of recommendations here. I would gladly put stock on next time or sooner to get that fly thru the windshield high performance braking feeling back.

Anytime you loose dust , unfortunatly you are gonna loose a bit of braking ability.

I would use nothing but performance friction pads , used them for years, and braking is outstanding.

but to your problem, take some 320 or 400 grit sandpaper, lightly sand the rotors both sides, then scuff off the pads to get the initial glaze off, then try reseating them, that will get you about as good as it gets.

Kevan said:
The brakes need to get bled.

Once that's done, go and re-bed the pads.

I told him how they suck now and he said I need to put good ceramic pads on next time like he wanted to do. I'll run this by him. Thanks for the suggestion!

That was the first mod I did to my truck...learned from the SRT8 I had..no, they will not stop as well as the stock pads but I did not notice that much difference...very happy with mine..

Whats the Brand name of the stock pads. I'd rather trust the srt engineers that put the pads in originally

I dont mean to dissagree on the bleeding of the brakes, with 20,000 miles it would be good to flush and refill the system.
but all the fluid does is apply hydraulic pressure to the pistons in the calipers , and then push the pads against the rotors,
If nothing changed but the rotors and pads then those would be the culprit. the fluid didnt change the actuall mating surfaces did.
with hard compound pads and rotors, a lose of braking pressure is going to be noted, that will not change.

Alot of people change pads because of the brake dust. If you are not worried about brake dust the stock ones are no problem. Just go to the dealer and ask for stock replacement. Better yet have Dragon get ya a set. Then you will have the part number when they arrive at your doorstep.

Stinker said:
I dont mean to dissagree on the bleeding of the brakes, with 20,000 miles it would be good to flush and refill the system.
but all the fluid does is apply hydraulic pressure to the pistons in the calipers , and then push the pads against the rotors,
If nothing changed but the rotors and pads then those would be the culprit. the fluid didnt change the actuall mating surfaces did.
with hard compound pads and rotors, a lose of braking pressure is going to be noted, that will not change.
With out more details of the install maybe some air got into the system. But as always Tony you bring very valid points to the subjects at hand.

TNVIPER said:
My guess would be Brembo...but what do I know..:dontknow:
I don't think Brembo did ours. They do handle the other SRT models though from how I understand it.

wyoramsrt-10 said:
With out more details of the install maybe some air got into the system. But as always Tony you bring very valid points to the subjects at hand.

Well without opening the system air should not enter it, and with just rotors and pads, opening the system isnt required:p
or at least I hope not:D

Stinker said:
Well without opening the system air should not enter it, and with just rotors and pads, opening the system isnt required:p
or at least I hope not:D
Yep the mechanic does not need to open the system up. But ya never know with some people.:D

BTW no offense to the mechanic on duty.:rock:

Stinker said:
Anytime you loose dust , unfortunatly you are gonna loose a bit of braking ability.

I would use nothing but performance friction pads , used them for years, and braking is outstanding.

but to your problem, take some 320 or 400 grit sandpaper, lightly sand the rotors both sides, then scuff off the pads to get the initial glaze off, then try reseating them, that will get you about as good as it gets.
Stinker's right with this.

AWESOME stopping power = high dust.
Pretty damn good stopping power = low dust.

That's why you have FNG's on your race crew: to clean your wheels! :)

The truck comes from the factory with wicked pads and great rotors. It's a full race-ready setup....and thus all the dust.

I can vouch for the StopTech rotors and PosiQuiet pads doing a fantastic job of stopping, but don't listen to me.
Listen to the two girls in a Saturn (both on cell phones; talking to each other?) that didn't yield at the roundabout tonight as I came through. They're still alive because of my kickass driving skills (heh heh) and my new rotors and pads.
$5 says they're still on the phone.

Tony- If the rotors are from Zeckhausen, they are the StopTech rotors. The StopTech's are e-coated. It's not recommended to sand them prior to bedding the pads.

I wish the bleeding wasn't necessary, but it is...even with a simple pad change on an unopened system.
With our trucks, it shouldn't take more than a few minutes anyway.
It can even be done with the wheels on!

wyoramsrt-10 said:
I don't think Brembo did ours. They do handle the other SRT models though from how I understand it.

Well hog tie me and paint me red....I had never really paid attention to the red brakes...my former SRT8 had red brakes with "Brembo" in white....If someone had asked me I would have said the truck was the same...You made me go out to the garage and look...I have been enlightened..:shot:

TNVIPER said:
Well hog tie me and paint me red....I had never really paid attention to the red brakes...my former SRT8 had red brakes with "Brembo" in white....If someone had asked me I would have said the truck was the same...You made me go out to the garage and look...I have been enlightened..:shot:
SRT-8 brake CALIPERS are made by Brembo. I don't know who makes the PADS.

SRT-10 brake CALIPERS (all years) are made by TRW. I don't know who makes the PADS.

Sounds simple enough. I'll tell him to bleed it and see what that does.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back