Replacing lower ball joints

SR71

Reaction score
Has anyone else tried this. I did today. OMG what a pain the butt. The ball joint remover tool I rented from autozone was completely useless. I ended up removing the arms and I'm taking them to get pressed out and new ones installed. This brings me to a question. I couldn't figure out how to remove the caliper correctly, so I removed them still attached to the rotors. Any tips for getting them back together correctly would be great lol

What year, 04 is different from 05-06..............My 04 calipers were easy to remove.

I got her back together today. What a difference new ball joints make lol. I just put the rotor and caliper on like took them off. Everything went on fine.

I have someone giving me a set of custom headers from an 05 viper. Will these things work on or trucks with minimal modifications?

Couldn't remove the caliper?

Its 2 bolts.... 18mm if memory serves. You unbolt them, then I usually zip-tie the caliper to the upper control arm so that the weight of the caliper isn't on the brake line.

At just over 100K I had the lower left ball joint begin to make noise. My local dealer didn't show a replacement ball joint only replacing the whole lower arm. My local mechanic said he could get a replacement but I decided to just buy a new lower arm and go through the left side suspension myself (replaced the upper ball joint as well). Pretty straight forward job. Side note: I decided to take the truck down to a frame shop and have the frame measured. He said it was within "spec" but could be improved. I had him go through and dial the frame in to closer spec's.

Last year I had the lower right side ball joint begin to make noise (150k). This time my local dodge dealer said they did have a replacement ball. I knew it was beyond my backyard mechanic ability so I had my local mechanic make the swap. Also had him do the upper ball joint as well.

Not sure why you had trouble with caliper...just two bolts to remove. Overall these trucks are very basic and easy to work on.

mY ISSUE WAS WHEN i REMOVED THE 2 19mm BOLTS FOR THE CALIPER, THE CALIPER WAS STILL ATTACHED TO THE ROTOR LOL. I REMOVED THE ROTOR AND CALIPER AS AN ASSEMBLY.. BY THE WAY, THEY WAY A TON LOL.

i ORDERED LOWER BALL JOINTS FROM SUMMIT RACING, MOUG K7411 WAS THE PART NUMBER.

SORRY ABOUT THE ALL CAPS THING

SO WE ARE SURE THE VIPER HEADERS WILL NOT WORK FOR THE TRUCK?

Most likely the pads have worn the rotor down & it has developed a "rust ridge" (not always Rusty) on the outer edge. that catches the pad keeping you from sliding the caliper off. Usually you have to retract the pistons/pads slightly to make room before pulling the caliper off. The rotors on my truck after 55,000 miles are the same way. Next time I have to do pads I'm looking at new rotors also. If you have enough material left they can possibly be Machined to take care of this.
Drum brakes can do the same thing.
Note; if you did a lot of prying trying to get that caliper off it's possible that you crack the brake pad lining. I have even seen guys go so far as to crack the caliper Pistons

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back