Rotors warped for the third time WTF!

Misterhemi03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rotors are starting to warp again. :mad: Truck has been to the dealer, they replaced the front rotors, and the back rotors on seperate visits. Now its back. I had this problem on my Hemi QC, then dodge released a TSB because the caliper wasnt fully releasing, causing the rotor warpage. My SRT has 15k on it, and it had about 8k on it the first time.

Anyone know if we have a TSB for 05 SRT rams? Anybody else have this problem?

Im really starting to hate goin to the dealer a few times a month for a different reoccuring problem.:mad: I dont think I'm going to buy another chrysler product ever again. Not only do I feel like a pain in the ass when I bring my truck in, but I shouldnt be doing this with a truck that costs this much money.

Last edited:
who's been rotating your tires? #1 reason why rotors warped is not following the torque procedures and correct torque lbs.

Dealership is the only place thats taken the wheels off of my truck. I havent even had them off yet.( my garage is barely big enough to fit my truck.)

If the brakes are hot, and you use the parking brake, you can warp the rear rotors.

Misterhemi03 said:
I dont think I'm going to buy another chrysler product ever again. Not only do I feel like a pain in the ass when I bring my truck in, but I shouldnt be doing this with a truck that costs this much money.
Oddly, I don't know of too many people having this problem. Well, Ok, I don't know of ANYONE with the SRT having this problem. Only one guy with a Hemi QC and he bought it that way. And he's been fine since replacing them himself.

No offense, but before you dump on the whole Chrysler corporation (sheesh!), you sure it ain't something you are doing?

I have often been braking the HECK out of my truck in getting used to the brake sensitivity, and the rotors have still survived just fine.

As for "shouldn't be doing this with a truck that costs this much money", I know of no correlation to higher costs and the sudden disappearance of problems. People seem to tolerate these "costs vs problems" so much better when the trunk emblem reads something like BMW, Lexus or Mercedes, but I notice that these brands still have VERY busy service departments. If you happen to be one of these folks, then pretend you have an imported sports car if it'll help.

Sorry, I'm having a bad day myself...I honestly hope they fix your problem and you can somehow enjoy one of the finest trucks ever made. To my knowledge, there is no issue with the brake engineering. There must be some other problem. You just need to find a service department which can get down to the answer.

Last edited:
Actually I use the brakes on the 10 less than any other truck I've had. All my stops are slowed by downshifting thru the gears all the way to 2nd gear, and then use of the brakes.
I'm just fed up with my truck having to go for service a few times a month. This is my only vehicle, god only knows how walt handles this.

I agree, this is the first I have heard of this problem, and that includes the time spent over at the NFFF site.

Can you provide any more specifics on what is happening?:confused: Maybe we can come up with something.

Misterhemi03 said:
Rotors are starting to warp again. :mad: Truck has been to the dealer, they replaced the front rotors, and the back rotors on seperate visits. Now its back. I had this problem on my Hemi QC, then dodge released a TSB because the caliper wasnt fully releasing, causing the rotor warpage. My SRT has 15k on it, and it had about 8k on it the first time.

Im really starting to hate goin to the dealer a few times a month for a different reoccuring problem.:mad: I dont think I'm going to buy another chrysler product ever again. Not only do I feel like a pain in the ass when I bring my truck in, but I shouldnt be doing this with a truck that costs this much money.

I have to agree with Bucke77, make sure they are torqueing your lug nuts to the proper specs.

My Hemi had this same problem and I went through 2 sets of rotors, I make sure that my lugs are torqued correctly everytime the wheels come off. I have 42,000 miles on my original rotors with no warpage.

And on another note, I always use my emergency brake!!:dontknow:

Yep havent gotten a chance to take the wheels off myself, Just the dealer, when it was in the first 2 times to replace the front and rear rotors. I'm begining to question my dealer, as I have already fixed a problem they couldnt.

One thing common to all the brakes is the master cylinder and it might be defective in a way that is holding pressure or maybe the ABS unit. Sounds like dealer is fixing the symptom and not the real problem. Hang in there they'll get it solved. I feel your pain when it comes to taking vehicles in especially when it's your only ride.:ridinghorse:

Back in 1995-1996 I had a Twin Turbo Dodge Stealth, that had the same problem, was burning up rotors and pads every 3-4k miles.

Kevan said:
If the brakes are hot, and you use the parking brake, you can warp the rear rotors.
actually it wont, because the parking brake uses a rear drum and shoe set-up

Last edited:
Misterhemi03 said:

let me ask... do you go to a car wash. another reason why rotors can warp is if you drive into the car wash your rotors are hot then they get cooled very quickly when vehicle gets washed???

if you brake hard in cold conditions that can warp rotors as well, but you live in florida so i guess thats out. or hard braking without them warming up. i don't see any reason a parking brake would cause rotor warpage. and as fast as the cost vs. problem issue. im a mercedes technician so i know allllllllllll about that crap haha.

We could trouble shoot all day. Fact is these brakes are solid. The mag's have bragged about the responsiveness of the trucks braking. They are larger the the regular 1500 so there is another problem unique to your truck. You are doing us a favor by resolving his issue and putting this into the archives of what to look for brake problems. Let me know what I can do on your quest for the answer.:argh:

Several things can be involved here.....
(1) NEVER let anybody dink with your lugnuts with an impact wrench.. No
matter if he promises you his sister. Have them tighten the nuts by hand and use a torque wrench...No matter if they use torque stix or any other attachment, jerk the impact wrench out of their hands and beat them in the
ass with it.

The mating surfaces must be clean and deposit-free... The mounted wheel and rotor can be checked for runout, etc. Might not be a bad idea.

(2) If your rear brakes are not working properly, you can overheat the front discs and cause them to warp. Heat is your enemy

(3) It doesn't matter what sort of uneven wear patterns you get, it can cause buffeting. Whether the disc is warped or has asymetric wear patterns, both are negative. In both cases, the rotors must be brought back to trueness, by replacement, cleaning away deposits, or machining. Everything has to work as designed or the problem WILL return.

( 4) Some discs may be more prone to problems than others. Doesn't mean you have to suck up to a dealer, but it MAY mean you need to pay attention to quality.

(5) Your calipers and slides must be working as designed also. If they aren't, then you will induce further problems in the braking system... I DIDNT say you have to pay some stealership $2000 to replace everything in your braking system... Whoever works on the brakes needs to do it right the first time.

Last but not least...find a GOOD mechanic. Dealerships are not necessarily the best places to look for one. Work with him (or her), and get it solved.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back