Royal Purple Warning

JeffBoyette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is already posted somewhere, i didnt see it.

Royal Purple found in parts stores and Wal Mart has now been diluted down to meet API SN certifications. API SN levels of ZDDP are capped at 900 ppm.

The normal RP sold at Advance Auto and other places is the new AP SN formula that does not contain any Synerlec because it cannot be used and meet SN standards. They are in switchover right now, so you can tell the difference by the bottle style as the new SN has the new bottle design (as does the new HPS below)

They have added a new oil the High Performance Street (HPS) that still contains Synerlec and higher levels of ZDDP (around 1200 ppm). This oil has been reformulated with more Synerlec than the previous "normal" RP (I got this from the RP tech line). In addition the under 40 weight oils had the ZDDP increased to the 1200 ppm ZDDP rather than the 1000 ppm previously used to meet the SL standards. The 40 and 50 weight oils previously and still have 1200 ppm ZDDP

The XPR (extreme performance racing) line is unchanged as far as I know.

So, you're saying , the new stuff is the GOOD stuff? Stay away from the old stuff sold at walmart ?

Whatever made royal purple special, is no longer what you get when you buy the RP at part stores and walmart. However the HPS is now better than it was , and the XPR is the same

:dito: Joe Gibbs is the way to go. Read up on their website. Everything is explained about their oil additives

Aren't those oils suppose to be used without cats only???

12 quarts I seen was like over 225.00 on the website wtf

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back