Running hot and high idle

cwells777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys looking for some input on this.

The other day was the first time my temp. gauge passed 200, it was actually pinned at 230 for a solid 3-5 minutes before the fans kicked in and slowly cooled it down. Oil temp also jumped 220. I was driving for maybe 30 minutes in 65 degree weather.

After that it got up to 215 after a quick ride to grab some coffee in the morning the next day. Again another cool day.

Today, I started up and the idle was at about 2500 just sitting. Started to drive and it would go back to normal and would then jump back up throughout my drive from work.

The idle problem I believe is just a bad TPS since I had a code for this a month ago, which went away and I wasn't having any issues since then. As for the coolant temp, after reading through the forums here it seems there are a few possible issues. Such as air in the lines or a blocked radiator.

Just looking to see who has had these problems and the end solution, I am new to this truck and looking for a little insight on this. By the way the truck is stock with the exception of a intake.

Thanks guys! :top:

The other day was the first time my temp. gauge passed 200, it was actually pinned at 230 for a solid 3-5 minutes before the fans kicked in and slowly cooled it down. Oil temp also jumped 220. I was driving for maybe 30 minutes in 65 degree weather.

After that it got up to 215 after a quick ride to grab some coffee in the morning the next day. Again another cool day.

Today, I started up and the idle was at about 2500 just sitting. Started to drive and it would go back to normal and would then jump back up throughout my drive from work.

The idle problem I believe is just a bad TPS since I had a code for this a month ago, which went away and I wasn't having any issues since then. As for the coolant temp, after reading through the forums here it seems there are a few possible issues. Such as air in the lines or a blocked radiator.

Just looking to see who has had these problems and the end solution, I am new to this truck and looking for a little insight on this. By the way the truck is stock with the exception of a intake.

make sure the reservoir tank is in the right range. somewhere on here it shows the correct way to bleed air from the system using the fitting on top of the water pump. you can also leave the cap off and make sure the water is flowing after it gets to temp

I had this happen when I changed throttle bodies, had to much air getting by the butterflies. But if this is a new problem with old parts it's most likely the tps or iac. I have a thread about my issues and there are tons of threads on the forum about the iac and tps. Hope this helps.

I think you have a sticking thermostat

Thanks for the responses guys! I will be looking into this in the next couple days, starting with checking if there is any air in the lines. Might as well order a new TPS and IAC since they are relatively cheap. If the problem still persists, I will end up replacing the the t-stat with a 170 stat.

Thanks for the responses guys! I will be looking into this in the next couple days, starting with checking if there is any air in the lines. Might as well order a new TPS and IAC since they are relatively cheap. If the problem still persists, I will end up replacing the the t-stat with a 170 stat.

A cooling system is under pressure, held by the radiator cap. Unless you ran the overflow tank dry or removed the cap, there is no reason for it to p/u air. Unless you have some other issue like a head gasket, a leak, or the cap is no good.

A cooling system is under pressure, held by the radiator cap. Unless you ran the overflow tank dry or removed the cap, there is no reason for it to p/u air. Unless you have some other issue like a head gasket, a leak, or the cap is no good.

Really hope there is not a head gasket leak, just got the truck in January:chain:

Sooooo on the way home yesterday...

I had noticed some throttle stick so as I could let off the gas, leave it in gear, and the truck kept going at the same speed. Shortly afterwards when the RPMs got up to around 2000 the truck felt jumpy. And then of course the CEL came on.

Now I knew that the TPS has been acting up but with all things considered I decided to drop it off to the Stealership in the am just to be sure nothing was going to blow up.

Well lunch time came and so did the stealership's call, it appears that I was correct in the TPS being an issue, and they also said the code for the MAP sensor came up as well. They had also checked on the t-stat and of course that was sticking. Good call 505-V10. After all is said and done they quoted me at 1200 to fix all the issues!

Went to Rock auto and found all the parts, MOPAR OEM, for a lot less. Obviously..

So my questions to the SRT-10 gurus are the following:

How hard is it to change the TPS, MAP, & T-stat?

Estimate time to change each? (they said an hour for both TPS and MAP and 2 hours for the T-stat)

Are the Chilton or Haynes manuals worth anything for these trucks?
-I am no mechanic but am willing to learn how to work on this truck since it seems it will certainly need it.

Thanks again for the input!

Thats crazy. The tps is 2 bolts quick swap. The t stat is 4 bolts just have to remove radiator hose and refill a little. But i do feel like a dummy not knowing where the map sensor is at. But the other 2 are a quick and cheap fix

Yea I know right, dealer was throwing bs at me hoping I'd bite. They were charging me for 2 hours on the tstat, plus an extra 200 for the coolant system flush.

I looked up the TPS and the T-stat change which all seem relatively easy.. mainly looking for input on the MAP location and difficulty. I cant see it being difficult, I know its right up top on the driver side based on diagrams. Had trouble narrowing it down exactly.

Would you be referring to the IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor? 2 minutes to change.

On these engines, yes a thermostat is 4 bolts. However it is in a tight pain in the ass spot. I think it may be more than most can handle as it is not a basic job.
Is this a Dodge Dealer? Why do they think it needs a cooling system flush for 2 bills?

Ya see they were trying to get you for a coolent flush. I know we have one cause my gauge reads manifold pressure from the pcm. Just cant think of where it is and i have taken my motor apart thats weird

This is a dodge dealership, they recommend the flush. Did not ask why since I was not planning on having them do the job. I'd rather have my normal mechanic take care of this if it is too difficult, know he wont rip me off at least.

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/f8/installing-t-stat-need-checklist-2812/index2.html

This post did not make it seem as if the change out was too challenging for a Saturday job and a six pack..

This is a dodge dealership, they recommend the flush. Did not ask why since I was not planning on having them do the job. I'd rather have my normal mechanic take care of this if it is too difficult, know he wont rip me off at least.

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/f8/installing-t-stat-need-checklist-2812/index2.html

This post did not make it seem as if the change out was too challenging for a Saturday job and a six pack..

OK. Have you opened the hood and assessed what you need to do to get at the thermostat?
If so, go for it.

OK. Have you opened the hood and assessed what you need to do to get at the thermostat?
If so, go for it.

Not yet, just was trying to do some research today and get some input. Which is certainly appreciated since I do not claim to know it all.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back