School me on diamonds

Big Perm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's what you think :D

I need help....looking for cushion cut, best value on just over a carat or so.....have narrowed down the style and stuff.....best to haggle with them like buying a car, or better to buy your own stone online and then have it made to specifications? Want great cut, VS1 or so, H color, yada yada.....ie, area where it still looks great but you get value for your dollar.....want to be about $10k OTD, don't have cash I used to so gotta be smart......

Most professional online site I have found is bluenile.com, but I literally don't know jack about this stuff and want the most bang for my buck....

Any help appreciated...

Jason

Big Perm said:
Yes, it's what you think :D

I need help....looking for cushion cut, best value on just over a carat or so.....have narrowed down the style and stuff.....best to haggle with them like buying a car, or better to buy your own stone online and then have it made to specifications? Want great cut, VS1 or so, H color, yada yada.....ie, area where it still looks great but you get value for your dollar.....want to be about $10k OTD, don't have cash I used to so gotta be smart......

Most professional online site I have found is bluenile.com, but I literally don't know jack about this stuff and want the most bang for my buck....

Any help appreciated...

Jason
Jason PM Includemeout they deal in gems all the time :D

you should pay roughly 15% back of wholesale...a good diamond broker will show you the rapaport sheet....

additionally, you may want to consider closer to F color even if you have to give up the Vs1 to Vs2 or even Si1....a better color always shows better....

Nowwhat said:
you should pay roughly 15% back of wholesale...a good diamond broker will show you the rapaport sheet....

additionally, you may want to consider closer to F color even if you have to give up the Vs1 to Vs2 or even Si1....a better color always shows better....

One comment regarding color. If it's in a white gold setting, then color is more important. If it's in a gold setting then you can get by with a stone with more color and no one will notice unless they are in the business and take our a lupe to look at it.

Diamonds are not rare. Don't let them tell you this. De Beers set the market with the supply to keep prices up. I think diamonds are a huge waste of money, but my wife loves them. Don't buy online. You need to look at them yourself or you won't be happy. Remember "diamonds are forever", but 50% of marriages are not. Good luck and congratulations on your engagement.

Diamond Clarity
The process of the growth and creation of a Diamond inside the earth does not occur evenly, but in several phases. In each phase, the conditions such as temperature, pressure and cooling are not the same and do not always remain constant. As a result, most Diamonds contain what are called inclusions, internal features caused by the constantly changing conditions during different phases of the Diamond's creation. These inclusions come in many forms including cloud-like features, fracture or tension cracks or even enclosed minerals that were present during the growth process of the Diamond.

The GIA (Gemological Institute of America) has designated that clarity of Diamonds is graded under the following guidelines:

FL: Diamond free from internal and external flaws under 10X magnification.

IF: Absolutely free from internal faults under 10X magnification. May contain external features that should
be so small that they can easily be removed by polishing.

VVS1: Very, very small inclusions in the stone, very difficult to recognize under 10X magnification. These
inclusions can not be in the field of the table.

VVS2: Very, very small inclusions anywhere in the stone, only smallest external defects allowed.

VS1: Only the smallest inclusions are allowable in the field of the table and only small faults elsewhere in
the stone.

VS2: Very small internal faults. Small external defects.

SI1: Small internal faults, not visible to the naked eye.

SI2: Small, easily seen inclusions under magnification in the table, but still not visible to the naked eye.

I1: Inclusions easily seen under magnification, but difficult to see with the naked eye. Inclusions do not
influence brilliance.

I2: Large and numerous inclusions, just barely visible to the naked eye through the crown. Inclusions
slightly diminish brilliance.

I3: Large and numerous inclusions, easily visible to the naked eye, diminishing brilliance.

Last edited:

Attachments

• braddiamond.jpg
    braddiamond.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 48
Congratulations Jason!!!

Rose is a lucky lady! But, I've talked to her, so I know that it's really you who are lucky!!;)

Wifey put up some goooood stuff!! And like Sleeper said, never buy online or unseen (unless your sister works at the store;)).

Brilliance is what everyone sees, but doesn't always mean a clear stone. Brilliance is in the cut, and it seems that there can be quite a difference in the cut from one company to the next as well.

http://www.windsorjewelers.net/edu-diamonds.cfm

Good luck!

Scott.....Rose and I stopped seeing each other the night after you two spoke.....no kidding :D

Her name is Elena.....always heard that you found somebody when you least expected and you'd know immediately - always thought that was BS....well, it's true.....I had a couple of girls on the side, had just decided to have fun for a while and enjoy the batch life again....well, I met Elena, stopped seeing the other two the very next day.....was head over heels after a week.....knew I'd marry her after two weeks.....turns out, she felt the same way......we've been inseparable for two months.....we happen to have mutual friends, just never met before....she's the one, and I don't say that lightly....

Thanks for all the info and help.....and to that 50% - I've already been married once, and that was a bad choice, so the odds are on my side :D

Big Perm said:
Scott.....Rose and I stopped seeing each other the night after you two spoke.....no kidding :D

Her name is Elena.....always heard that you found somebody when you least expected and you'd know immediately - always thought that was BS....well, it's true.....I had a couple of girls on the side, had just decided to have fun for a while and enjoy the batch life again....well, I met Elena, stopped seeing the other two the very next day.....was head over heels after a week.....knew I'd marry her after two weeks.....turns out, she felt the same way......we've been inseparable for two months.....we happen to have mutual friends, just never met before....she's the one, and I don't say that lightly....

Thanks for all the info and help.....and to that 50% - I've already been married once, and that was a bad choice, so the odds are on my side :D

:rolleyes: Yeah, I have that effect on women sometimes!:rolleyes: :D:D:D

I couldn't agree more... When you know, you just know!! That's how I was when I met Alexis! Now I say that I never really knew what love was until I met her!
Congratulations again! Can't wait to meet Elena! (Got any pics, ya stingy bastage?!) :D:D

My wife's diamond is a GIA cert. 1.67kt H, VS1, princess cut. H Color is perfectly fine, you will pay alot for a D,E,F color.

mauiSRT/10 said:
Try Costco.............dont laugh..............read their diamond policy. They only carry the better quality items, and their markup is minimal.

patrick

True! not a bad idea.

ntw0rk said:
:rolleyes: Yeah, I have that effect on women sometimes!:rolleyes: :D:D:D

I couldn't agree more... When you know, you just know!! That's how I was when I met Alexis! Now I say that I never really knew what love was until I met her!
Congratulations again! Can't wait to meet Elena! (Got any pics, ya stingy bastage?!) :D:D

Exactly....

Check your PM's, will do thru email...

Tiffany's will help you on the info you are looking for ---try them

VIPR PWR said:
Tiffany's will help you on the info you are looking for ---try them

If you want to pay triple ,go there, they charge for the Name.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back