Screaming sound coming from front of engine.

1fastcruiser

Reaction score
There is a very loud screaming sound coming from the pulleys fan belt area. It increases with RPM's, I replaced the belt with new when the sound first started. I replaced the power steering pump in August. It was an overhauled unit. I am an aircraft tech by trade. I put a stethoscope on everything and cannot determine where the high pitch screech is coming from. Nothing is vibrating. The screech is very present but I can not pick up the noise from any component. It is driving my crazy. I bought a new power steering pump and redline fluid. Last pump changed I used O Rieley brand.

check that crank pulley out asap! do not drive it and only run it to figure it out! It shouldn't be hard to figure out.....

There is a very loud screaming sound coming from the pulleys fan belt area. It increases with RPM's, I replaced the belt with new when the sound first started. I replaced the power steering pump in August. It was an overhauled unit. I am an aircraft tech by trade. I put a stethoscope on everything and cannot determine where the high pitch screech is coming from. Nothing is vibrating. The screech is very present but I can not pick up the noise from any component. It is driving my crazy. I bought a new power steering pump and redline fluid. Last pump changed I used O Rieley brand.

make sure the pump you purchased was for the srt10, alot I have found at autozip or advance are for a hemi actually, they are valved different and do not work properly, its best to get a new ps unit from dodge when you actually need one

someone put a Roe on yer truck maybe...?...lol

if nothing is lose try and put baby power on your belt damn cold weather will make them slip sometimes that should fix it.

My belt kept slipping on cold starts. Fine once it was warm. Turned out to be a bad tensioner. Just a thought.

How loud are we talking? Does the noise go away after the vehicle is warm? possible your idler pulley. very common.

It gets louder with RPMs, Very loud. embarrsing loud. No noise until 1200 rpm's and up. It doesnt go away when the truck warms up. I'm taking it into Dodge Monday morning to verify the Crankshaft / balancer has been pinned. Riff62 I only wish the Roe Knomes would be so kind and sneak a S/C charger on there!

Today I looked at the truck and found one of my power steering lines to the hydraulic fan was loose. The hydraulic fluid sprayed on the serpentine belt causing the very loud sqeeling noise. I tightned the hydraulic line and serviced the power steering. I checked the torque on my crankshaft pully, found it to be maybe 50 foot pounds tops. I applied lock-tight and torqued it to 130 foot pounds. I bought a new belt and will install it later this week. Belt dressing made the sqeeling go away for now. Thanks for all the help.

read on that can of belt dressing and it will tell you not to use it on a serpentine belt, ive done it before myself and the next day it would be louder, bady powder works like a charm or ajax. belt dressing works good on v-belts thou

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back