Searching for high strength wheels...

cgperry

Reaction score
I have had a continuing problem with my 06 QC of bending the factory rims. Not enough to see, but enough that the balance is off. I have two full sets of factory rims and all 8 have had the same problem. Now the balance issue is so bad that being in the truck is like riding in a paint can shaker.

The dealer tells me the stock rims are decent quality, but you can see that they are only supported on the outer face. My bends always occur on the inner face where there is no real support from the spokes and the impact there creates a decent lever arm against the spokes on the outside.

I'm wondering if you guys have any advice/experience with aftermarket wheels strictly from a strength perspective. I don't care about bling (not crazy about chrome or black) and I actually like the look of the stock wheel, but this truck is my daily driver (97k+ miles) and at this point fixing the ride issues is of primary importance to me. Thanks!

cgperry said:
I have had a continuing problem with my 06 QC of bending the factory rims. Not enough to see, but enough that the balance is off. I have two full sets of factory rims and all 8 have had the same problem. Now the balance issue is so bad that being in the truck is like riding in a paint can shaker.

The dealer tells me the stock rims are decent quality, but you can see that they are only supported on the outer face. My bends always occur on the inner face where there is no real support from the spokes and the impact there creates a decent lever arm against the spokes on the outside.

I'm wondering if you guys have any advice/experience with aftermarket wheels strictly from a strength perspective. I don't care about bling (not crazy about chrome or black) and I actually like the look of the stock wheel, but this truck is my daily driver (97k+ miles) and at this point fixing the ride issues is of primary importance to me. Thanks!

Do you drive it off-road?:dontknow:
I haven't heard of any issues with the wheels like you are describing, but something is pushing them past their limits...

Yeah - mostly the roads here (SC). Not uncommon to have differences in pavement heights of 2-3 inches where we have bridges, expansion joints, potholes, etc. Plus I think I probably put a lot more miles on my truck every year than most SRT owners.

cgperry said:
Yeah - mostly the roads here (SC). Not uncommon to have differences in pavement heights of 2-3 inches where we have bridges, expansion joints, potholes, etc. Plus I think I probably put a lot more miles on my truck every year than most SRT owners.

Yeah abrupt changes in road surface height (ledges) combined with low-profile tires and heavy vehicles don't play well together... :( Something is going to give...

cgperry said:

What part of the SC you from

cgperry said:
Perry me an you gonna have to talk aobut this driving in SC:D

dont live far from ya:rock:

but probably the only thing you are gonna be able to do is to go to like a rbc wheel, or one that is more of a steel chrome type wheel, Iwill do some searching this evening for ya.

but yeah, not sure where in SC he lives, but SC roads are noted for some of the worse inthe nation, especially the back roads:argh:

The truck is never going to ride like a Mercedes/Caddilac. :dontknow: They are big flashy wheels on a heavy truck. The factory wheels are forged and about as strong as it gets.

..... That said... You could go down a size (22" down to 20") to get a little bigger tire on there. That will help the ride quite a bit and allow more "cushion" for the rims when you hit whatever it is you are hitting with them (pot holes, curbs, etc). I would suggest calling some of these guys, if you want really strong wheels.... but, be prepared to bend over (bring Vaseline with ya). :eek:

http://www.hrewheels.com/
http://www.forgeline.com/
http://www.360forged.com/
http://www.ccwheel.com/files/home.php

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
Perry me an you gonna have to talk aobut this driving in SC:D

dont live far from ya:rock:

but probably the only thing you are gonna be able to do is to go to like a rbc wheel, or one that is more of a steel chrome type wheel, Iwill do some searching this evening for ya.

but yeah, not sure where in SC he lives, but SC roads are noted for some of the worse inthe nation, especially the back roads:argh:
telll me about it chips all over my front end

Trust me - I'm no stranger to a stiff ride (still talking trucks here), but when you have all four wheels badly out of balance and they get a harmonic going, it's almost bad enough to where the passenger seat can whack me in the head while driving.

I don't mind paying for quality. I have HREs on my TR, although I bent one of those in NY on a road trip - same deal - they were repaving a road and had a 3-4" pavement height differential from old to new in the construction zone. I had thought about dropping down to 20s, mostly because I also drive in the city and when parallel parking it's tough to keep the 22s clear of the concrete.

I'm in Charleston, for those who asked.

I had the 3M clear bra stuff put on mine when I bought the truck. It has been the saving grace in SC when there is nothing but dump trucks driving around my house...

cgperry said:
Trust me - I'm no stranger to a stiff ride (still talking trucks here), but when you have all four wheels badly out of balance and they get a harmonic going, it's almost bad enough to where the passenger seat can whack me in the head while driving.

I don't mind paying for quality. I have HREs on my TR, although I bent one of those in NY on a road trip - same deal - they were repaving a road and had a 3-4" pavement height differential from old to new in the construction zone. I had thought about dropping down to 20s, mostly because I also drive in the city and when parallel parking it's tough to keep the 22s clear of the concrete.

I'm in Charleston, for those who asked.

I had the 3M clear bra stuff put on mine when I bought the truck. It has been the saving grace in SC when there is nothing but dump trucks driving around my house...
well good sir you will have to come to myrtle beach inthe spring when we have a GTG there:rock:

and yup tons of dumpwagons hauling gravel down there, but I will see what Ican come up for ya, still nice looking but a touch tougher

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back