Shifter problem

Thumperama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my truck at Texas Drivetrain Performance for the past several weeks getting the transmission rebuilt (Stage II rebuild), some clutch work and having 4:56 gears installed in the rear end. I bought Tony's new and improved shifter to replace the 1st gen shifter I bought from him based on everyone's feedback on how much of an improvement it was.

Jason at TDP called me and said that the new shifter would not shift into Reverse, but when he put the old shifter in, it worked just fine. Apparently the new shifter is a half inch shorter on the part that fits down into the socket on the transmission which is what Jason said is the cause of it not shifting into reverse.:confused:

I sent Tony a PM about it, but wanted to see if anyone else has had this issue? :dontknow: Given the positive feedback on Jason and TDP from quite a few folks, I am inclined to believe his diagnosis.

I plan to pick up the truck this afternoon. I am looking forward to the drive home with the new 4:56 gears, clutch and a fresh transmission.:rock:

But I'm a bit bummed about the new shifter not working.

Never had a chance to mess with one but they do have a great feature that let's you adjust them. Maybe it just needs to be adjusted a bit to totally engage reverse? Is bushing cup still in linkage? Maybe if he loosens it up, puts it in reverse, then tightens in that position? Not sure how much bolt holes allow for that but a thought sir. :shakehands:

Last edited:
Tony's already responded that he hasn't run into this before, but is looking at something and will get back to me. I was thinking that it may just be an adjustment issue too.

I'm sure we'll get it figured out.

Good luck and keep us posted, I love my Gen1 shifter.......

I am sure he already told you but if you have side tension adjuster to tight then it will not work properly just a thought and good luck I have gen 2 and love it

I am sure he already told you but if you have side tension adjuster to tight then it will not work properly just a thought and good luck I have gen 2 and love it

yessir, that is what I am thinking , they had the adjustment off, if its off the wrong way , it def will not go into reverse.

Finally got it to shift into reverse on a regular basis. I did end up taking the adjustment screws completely out in order to get it to shift into reverse. The springs are really strong, but the more I drive it, the better it gets. I can only get into reverse if the engine is running. I traded PM's with Tony and if it doesn't loosen up soon, we may try softer springs.

I seem to be the only one having any issue, but I attribute that to a new transmission that just needs to be broken in. I really do like the shorter throw. I can't believe how nice it is to row through the gears on a new transmission.

I really like the 4:56 gears I had put in the rear end! Just what the doctor ordered.

I listed the Gen 1 shifter for sale.

Mine worked like a charm with zero adjustments. I did end up tightening them down a smidge more.

Glad you got the issue worked out. The shifter totally gives the truck a different experience.

Mine was the same..

I loosened the adjusters all the way, and am driving with them that way to let the tolerances open up. Once they do, I plan to tighten the springs so that it spring returns to center. I hope it'll work that way...

I did swap in a brass bushing cup instead of the poly. I figured that was having an impact. As it stands now, with no spring return to center, I have to be careful when dropping more than 1 gear at a shot. Like 6 to 4, I got second once, but realized very quickly and didn't over-rev.

I wonder if having a built transmission has anything to do with it

That's what I thought too. After a few days of driving on the new tranny, everything just seemed to loosen up. I can get into reverse everytime now. I haven't put the adjustment screws back in the shifter yet, but plan to this weekend. It is starting to loosen up more than I like.

I think my problem was a new tranny combined with a new shifter and both needed to be broken in.

That's what I thought too. After a few days of driving on the new tranny, everything just seemed to loosen up. I can get into reverse everytime now. I haven't put the adjustment screws back in the shifter yet, but plan to this weekend. It is starting to loosen up more than I like.

I think my problem was a new tranny combined with a new shifter and both needed to be broken in.

So hows the shifter coming? Did u ever put the screws back in?

Yes. After 500 miles on the rebuild, everything loosened up and the shifter and tranny are both playing nicely together. I reinstalled the adjustment screws and gave them a couple of turns. Overall, very pleased with the outcome.

Yes. After 500 miles on the rebuild, everything loosened up and the shifter and tranny are both playing nicely together. I reinstalled the adjustment screws and gave them a couple of turns. Overall, very pleased with the outcome.

Thats good to hear. I put my shifter back in yesterday and couldnt get it to go into reverse or 6th just shitting in the garage idling. 500 miles might take awhile for me to drive though

Thats good to hear. I put my shifter back in yesterday and couldnt get it to go into reverse or 6th just shitting in the garage idling. 500 miles might take awhile for me to drive though

Mine was like that at first, but I could get it into reverse if the motor was running. Turn it off, couldn't beg it to go into reverse. Turn it on, it would go into reverse with some effort. It'll loosen up. I can get it into reverse easily now, running or not.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back