Shifter & Shifting

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wanted to see what you guys thought about the shifter & shifting in my '06 RC. I am the second the owner so I can't speak to her life before me. Occasionally, if I don't make sure it's solid up into 1st, it will sneak out of gear at a light waiting. It's more annoying than anything else. Then also on a rolling turn say 30 or so, if I want to get into 3rd - forget it. It's there. But you gotta work to find it. So I end up going to 4th with it lugging along. Sometimes it's like the shifter feels a little "gristly". Underneath I found where it's a Tranzilla transmission. So it's been replaced. That could be good or bad. Anyway - should I look into swapping the shifter? It looks like the factory piece from 2006 that's in it. As always thanks for any comments. Chance

If you have the stock Hurst shifter, the base will be gold. If it’s blue, it’s a B&M, if it’s silver, it’s a JTSVP. The stock shifter has a rubber isolation pad on the stick to isolate vibrations, this makes the shifter feel like it’s a wet noodle. It is very hard to get into 3rd under full throttle. If your transmission is slipping out of gear, you have other issues.

Wanted to see what you guys thought about the shifter & shifting in my '06 RC. I am the second the owner so I can't speak to her life before me. Occasionally, if I don't make sure it's solid up into 1st, it will sneak out of gear at a light waiting. It's more annoying than anything else. Then also on a rolling turn say 30 or so, if I want to get into 3rd - forget it. It's there. But you gotta work to find it. So I end up going to 4th with it lugging along. Sometimes it's like the shifter feels a little "gristly". Underneath I found where it's a Tranzilla transmission. So it's been replaced. That could be good or bad. Anyway - should I look into swapping the shifter? It looks like the factory piece from 2006 that's in it. As always thanks for any comments. Chance
Maybe you might have a syncro mesh gear issue trying to get into third.

It's almost like there are 2 "clicks" to get all the way into 1st. If I just throw it there - sometimes it pops back out. Hit the clutch again and make sure it's in - all good. It holds, drives and shifts. I may reach out to Tranzilla if they're still in business. The fact the trans has been swapped can't be good. I wonder what happened to the original T56? It's only got 70K miles... ugh

Gear selection would be fine if we used the Viper gear stick but because our Hurst Shifters are so long the detent springs in the selectors are far too weak.
Today I used my shifter half way down the shaft, that made a huge difference. Have to slap the lever for reverse gate

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back