Shifter Wars B&M vs X-Metal

Guys B and M and Gary are both super, BUT lets not forget to thank one person..............Patrick, He took the time to evaluate both shifters, and he could have been VERY one sided, but instead gave us a very honest and unopinionated answer. Kudos to you Patrick and thanks for the honesty:D

Patrick i would like to thank you for taking hours out of your day just to tell us your opinion on products are, your a very kind guy!

Boomer and everyone else. . . hugs! :D

B&MRACING said:
If anyone has any questions specific to the SRT shifter or other B&M shifter you may contact me. However, i am not a paying vendor to this site so i would encourage a phone call to our excellent tech dept. at 818-882-6422 first.
Also, i would like to personally thank Patrick for an excellent review of our product and congratulate Boomer on a well designed product from the pictures i have seen and reviews from those on this site.

Sincerely,

B&M Racing
Yeah thanks for keeping it clean between the vendors! That shows alot of class!

Silent D said:
slam..... one fluid motion.... BANG right thru and into the 3hole.

Not only that, but I really love BOOMER and he's now bearing our love child..... j/k j/k....

Now, if someone thinks I'm missing something, please chime in....

SD

Nope - I think your explanation was more than enough.:eek:

Now, does anybody know the secret to calling Boomer and actually talking to him so that I can order his new shifter?

Call him at X-Metal and if ya don't get him leave a message. He WILL call ya back. Remember he is super busy building all the stuff we want, he never sleeps.

He just adds water to a can of foldgers and drinks it straight out of the can :D

Hamrhead said:
Nope - I think your explanation was more than enough.:eek:

Now, does anybody know the secret to calling Boomer and actually talking to him so that I can order his new shifter?

Just do what I do, call and tell whoever answers the phone that you are a IRS agent and there were some irregularities on his tax return. :D

jrgnd said:
Just do what I do, call and tell whoever answers the phone that you are a IRS agent and there were some irregularities on his tax return. :D

That's a hoot, a little cold blooded I guess, but funny as hell and it works!!!! I've been known to tell a receptionist or two that my name is Adolph Hitler with the IRS, you'd be surprised how many of them get so flustered they put you right through...

Hamrhead said:

I believe Gary is reached easiest when you send him a pm....

He always responds quickly........Otherwise you may end up playing phone tag...

SD

Silent D said:
I believe Gary is reached easiest when you send him a pm....

He always responds quickly........Otherwise you may end up playing phone tag...

SD
Yup - so far I've only been able to leave a couple of messages.

I'll keep tryin'...:D

Hamrhead said:

Mike, what are you gonna do with your gen 1 x metal shifter?

I would love to have the new one, but jeez I dont want to take a $500 loss.

patrick

Gen IV Shifter

Well guys, I have been waiting to post up just how I feel about Boomers Gen IV Shifter.

I have had it installed for around a month now and I will honestly say it is all Gary said it would be!!

It took a little getting used to, especially the slight twist that happens when you down shift from 3rd to 2nd but I don't even notice it now!!

Shifts are very solid and precise with a definite click on engagement. I changed out my tranny fluid with Mobil 1 Syn and it feels even better!!

The only complaint i have is there is considerable more noise transmitting from this shifter than the previous shifter! But I can live with it!!

Gary, I only used 1 gasket for the install, do you think it would lesson the noise with a second gasket by lifting the shifter a little and placing a little less pressure at the tranny/shifter contact point??

Just a thought!!

Bottom line, If you want to run hard throught the gears this is a definite mod to have!!

Good on ya Gary!!!:rock: :rock:

Marc T said:
Well guys, I have been waiting to post up just how I feel about Boomers Gen IV Shifter.

I have had it installed for around a month now and I will honestly say it is all Gary said it would be!!

It took a little getting used to, especially the slight twist that happens when you down shift from 3rd to 2nd but I don't even notice it now!!

Shifts are very solid and precise with a definite click on engagement. I changed out my tranny fluid with Mobil 1 Syn and it feels even better!!

The only complaint i have is there is considerable more noise transmitting from this shifter than the previous shifter! But I can live with it!!

Gary, I only used 1 gasket for the install, do you think it would lesson the noise with a second gasket by lifting the shifter a little and placing a little less pressure at the tranny/shifter contact point??

Just a thought!!

Bottom line, If you want to run hard throught the gears this is a definite mod to have!!

Good on ya Gary!!!:rock: :rock:
thank you mark, thats great feedback, especialy when it comes from a fellow gear head.
you could actually tame down harmonics by just wrapping a few thick rubber bands around where the shifter lever bolts to the shifter assembly.slide thenm down the lever so that they wrap around the lever and the lever attachement arm-same pricipal like the rubber strap in a brake rotor when it is being turned in a brake lathe. that will dampen the harmonics that are transfered up the stick.

BOOMER said:
thank you mark, thats great feedback, especialy when it comes from a fellow gear head.
you could actually tame down harmonics by just wrapping a few thick rubber bands around where the shifter lever bolts to the shifter assembly.slide thenm down the lever so that they wrap around the lever and the lever attachement arm-same pricipal like the rubber strap in a brake rotor when it is being turned in a brake lathe. that will dampen the harmonics that are transfered up the stick.
My technique was to cut a piece of rubber from an old bicycle tire tube and place it between the shifter arm and base. Worked pretty good. :rock:

Hadn't thought of rubber bands. Good idea. :idea:

ViperTruck2933 said:
My technique was to cut a piece of rubber from an old bicycle tire tube and place it between the shifter arm and base. Worked pretty good. :rock:

Hadn't thought of rubber bands. Good idea. :idea:
it sounds hokey, but its easy and you will never see it.:D

ViperTruck2933 said:

I have done this also, and placed some Dynomatt around it also, still pretty noisy. I am using the Hurst T-handle, I wonder if it is magnifying the noise like a tuning fork?:dontknow: I will put a Stock Ball back on and see if that tones it down a little.

Anyone out there have a stock shifter Ball they wanna get rid of??

Quote "Gary, I only used 1 gasket for the install, do you think it would lesson the noise with a second gasket by lifting the shifter a little and placing a little less pressure at the tranny/shifter contact point??"

Good question ! I was wondering the same thing .

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back