Shifter Wars B&M vs X-Metal

Dip Stick! ......

Here is what we are going to use it may help quiet the noise :dontknow: If it doesn't work, it can be removed :D ...

I will post pics after the bastardizing of my stock truck is completed. :D

I'm using the Gen IV.

Last edited:
Wifey said:
Here is what we are going to use it may help quiet the noise :dontknow: If it doesn't work, it can be removed :D ...

I will post pics after the bastardizing of my stock truck is completed. :D

I'm using the Gen IV.

Grip Dip!! :confused: Now that sounds kinky!!:D :p

John Stuttle said:
Been there done that!
And????? Did it work???? :dontknow: :dontknow: :confused:

SHU-DOG said:
Just bought a B & M for $230 DELIVERED.

I can't wait to see how it performs.

I hope that was a good price.

SHU
From where? Web or did you call them?

SilvrSRT10 said:

That be him. I was watchin and just happen to catch one-maybe a mistake but he said he would honor it. So i should get it next week. Maybe he should get a group buy going?

Anyway i think i lucked out.

SHU

SHU-DOG said:
That be him. I was watchin and just happen to catch one-maybe a mistake but he said he would honor it. So i should get it next week. Maybe he should get a group buy going?

Anyway i think i lucked out. SHU

Hey Man!! I was pointing this find out to everyone two days ago.......:D

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6250

You got a great price. Hope you enjoy the shifter. I think it was a typo on his part. He's usually around the $245-$250 price range.:rock:

If I can be so bold as to say this:

After some careful, longterm and non-partisan observation, it seems to me that Dodge made a decision to go with a shifter that didn't transfer alot of noise into the cockpit..... Their decision is poo-pooed by us shift junkies who wanna bang third efficiently.... because, although the OEM shifter is quietest, it's also mushiest in feel and shifting accuracy.

Now, our aftermarket designers and ultimately we end users are faced with the same dilema.

As of today, BOOMER has gone through 4 generations of shifters in a search for perfection. But alas, even Gen 4 isn't what many of our members desire... Mostly because of the fkn noise it makes...... That sucks....

I love Gary like a brother.... or maybe a grandson according to him.... (little shitbird...lol)..... but, in all honesty, I don't know whether even he can ultimately master whatever is neccesary to create a product that is universally applauded.......

I cannot stand funky noises, vibrations, rattles, squeaks or any kinda shit like that..... It drives me fkn NUTS..... So for now, I'm staying with the OEM shifter until, God willin', someone (hopefully Gary) completely solves all these problems once and for all......

........and then there's that "the shifter twists in my hand" thing............ :dontknow:

Django

Silent D said:
I cannot stand funky noises, vibrations, rattles, squeaks or any kinda shit like that..... It drives me fkn NUTS..... Django

I'm the same way. The B&M isn't that bad. Yeah, it resonates a little more than stock. But then the upper stick is bolted directly to the lower stick. Absolutely no vibration suppression at all. I am going to try a couple tricks that folks have suggested (wrapping lower stick with rubber, etc.) to further quiet the stick. I would love to get Boomer's new shifter but I can't justify $600. I'm sure it's more than worth it but I'm not an all out racer. I just wanted to be able to shift more confidently. What type rubber has everyone been wrapping their stick in? Ultra sensitive or ribbed????:dontknow:

SilvrSRT10 said:
I'm the same way. The B&M isn't that bad. Yeah, it resonates a little more than stock. But then the upper stick is bolted directly to the lower stick. Absolutely no vibration suppression at all. I am going to try a couple tricks that folks have suggested (wrapping lower stick with rubber, etc.) to further quiet the stick. I would love to get Boomer's new shifter but I can't justify $600. I'm sure it's more than worth it but I'm not an all out racer. I just wanted to be able to shift more confidently. What type rubber has everyone been wrapping their stick in? Ultra sensitive or ribbed????:dontknow:

It's ribbed for your greater pleasure..................:D ;)

DD

I have Boomers gen 1 or 2 (not sure) shifter. It does make some noise but its really only at very low speeds and very minimal. It does hit the console but........compared to the stocker its so worth it. I can downshift confidently everytime now. Third gear...no problem.

I never ever, want to go back to the stocker. What a piece of crap!!!

patrick

mauiSRT/10 said:
I never ever, want to go back to the stocker. What a piece of crap!!!

patrick
:eek: ................................ :eek:

I'm waiting for my Gen IV to be installed :D Can't wait to try it out :rock: Of course I will keep the stock one safely stashed away

Last edited:
I have the new GEN and I'm digging it. I'm fairly anal about my shit also, but the difference between stock and this shifter are night and day. The noise is really a non issue for me. The vibration is really no different for me. Yes it does twist alittle when going through the gears, but it is nothing that would make you rush back and throw the stock one back in. Its precise and you feel this. The confidence when rowing through the gears is worth it alone. It feels and sounds racy to me which just adds to the experience, and correct me if I'm wrong, but what the hell did we buy things for in the first place.:burnout: :rock:

Last edited:
Guys just some questions about my Gen 4 shifter. I am in no way flaming anyone. My shifter makes alot of noise in 2,4,6, gears. It will jump out of 2nd gear on the downshift unless you are in the throttle. I may have installed something wrong because I don't believe it would be sold with the issues I have. I used silicone for a sealer between baseplate and tranny. Is it possible to move the base one way or another? The 4 boltholes ( do they have any slop?) Which side of the truck do you guys have your handle bolted to driver or passenger? mine is on the driver side. Guys I have 4 drag cars and consider myself to be a competent mechanic. It is not just the high pitched harmonics in 6th gear, 2 and 4 gears rattle and growl making my truck sound like an old junker. I cannot ride in it without the radio blaring for all the noise. My son asked me dad why in the hell did you put that thing in here? Then he really gave me grief when he found out I hade paid 650.00 for it. I know this is probably an installation issue a mistake made by me in the install. If you have any suggestions as to what I may have done wrong please let me know. I really hate to give up on this shifter. Please Don't thionk I am just trying to flame the boom man on this. I have bought alot of other stuff from him and it's all worked well.

Ylw-Fvr said:
Guys just some questions about my Gen 4 shifter. I am in no way flaming anyone. My shifter makes alot of noise in 2,4,6, gears. It will jump out of 2nd gear on the downshift unless you are in the throttle. I may have installed something wrong because I don't believe it would be sold with the issues I have. I used silicone for a sealer between baseplate and tranny. Is it possible to move the base one way or another? The 4 boltholes ( do they have any slop?) Which side of the truck do you guys have your handle bolted to driver or passenger? mine is on the driver side. Guys I have 4 drag cars and consider myself to be a competent mechanic. It is not just the high pitched harmonics in 6th gear, 2 and 4 gears rattle and growl making my truck sound like an old junker. I cannot ride in it without the radio blaring for all the noise. My son asked me dad why in the hell did you put that thing in here? Then he really gave me grief when he found out I hade paid 650.00 for it. I know this is probably an installation issue a mistake made by me in the install. If you have any suggestions as to what I may have done wrong please let me know. I really hate to give up on this shifter. Please Don't thionk I am just trying to flame the boom man on this. I have bought alot of other stuff from him and it's all worked well.

I have had the second gear pop out issue and found that it wasnt that it popped out but not in gear all the way. For some reason you really need to do a firm shift into second gear with the Gen IV. Mine is installed on the passenger side, although I doubt it should make much difference. In regards to the gear noise.....I installed a thin piece of rubber between the shifter arm and the shifter arm. You can also put on a couple of layers of shrink wrap on it as well. That will reduce the noise some but you will always have a little. Mine isnt that bad but is noticable to passengers with the radio off. Its still the best shifter that I have experienced (Have driven with the stock, B&M, Gen II and now Gen IV) in our trucks. Although it is a true performance shifter and there are no lazy shifts.

;)

Mine makes VERY little noise in any gear.With the radio on you can't hear it at all (normal volume,too).It does have a slight twisting motion going into 2nd and you hardly notice it all after using it for a bit.I have mine set as low as it will go with the white Hurst shift knob on it.It is very precise.It does seem to require a little more effort to shift than the stocker,but it isn't enough to worry about.I would like to have a B&M for comparison,but I hardly think it could be as good as the GEN 4 from Gary. If you have no intention of racing or wanting to bang gears,you would probably be just as happy with the stocker.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back