Shopping for Vehicle Insurance

FastRam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been with Allstate for a long, long time and decided to shop around for new auto policies. So far I have received a quote from Progressive and I was astonished at the price differences for the exact same coverages I hold with Allstate. By switching I can save about 1/2 of what I pay now, yearly. Anybody here use Progressive? Comments? Suggestions? Good/Bad?

If they are in your area, I highly recommend Wawanesa- a preferred insurance company. I've had them for over ten years. I dumped 20th Century when they refused to pay on a claim-bastards.

Wawanesa rocks.

D

Call Allstate and tell them the quote you got! Thats what i did with NJM and my ins went down..i pay under $1,000 a year for the highest policy they have.

We've had allstate before but now we're with Geico, alot cheaper...State Farm wouldnt even ensure me, i have a bit of a driving record :D (im much better now;))

I use Travelers and mine is about 1/2 of what allstate, state farm, and farmers quoted me. The coverage is excellent and my friend who owns a body shop said that they are excellent on claim service (this is where geico, etc. really lacks). My truck is under $1000 a year with the highest coverage, and the jeep is about $700 a year.
Justin

I recently switched from Allstate to Gieco because Allstate dicked me around... I saved a lot of money with Gieco $84/mo full coverage $98/mo with Allstate
So easy a caveman can do it :D

I've only had to make one claim with Geico and they were extremely fast and right on. Very satisfied, plus i think cave guys are cool ;)

John, if you are eligible check into USAA.

We just got rid of Progressive, they quote you a good price, then start jacking the price everytime you renew. We have good driving records and they jumped us to about $2400.00 a year for two cars. I got in a wreck three years ago, not my fault, found to be 100% the other person's fault and Progressive jacked my rates.

We just moved to AAA, they are currently charging us $986.00 a year with better coverage than we had with Progressive.

Allstate can take their "good hands" and shove it. I was a customer for 11 years and they gave me grief on a <$1k claim. The only hands they have are in the shape of a fist. :( The rest belongs in offensive...

I went with Amica. They only take on good risks, but have provisions to account for additional equipment, etc.
They've got some awards:
"J.D. Power and Associates has ranked Amica
“Highest in Customer Satisfaction Among National Auto Insurers, 10 Years in a Row” and
"Highest in Customer Satisfaction Among National Homeowner Insurers, Eight Years in a Row.” "

I greatly increased my coverage, including an umbrella liability, for less $ than Allstate had been hosing me for.

http://www.amica.com/about_us/awards/awards.html

alexspop said:
John, if you are eligible check into USAA.

None better in my mind...I have had USAA for over 40 years...

Oh shit...that's a long time!

I have been using AAA since our old company left NJ a few years ago, really happy with them so far. We have all our insurance through them so we also get a very nice discount because of that.

Last edited:
TeamSRT10 said:
just wondering, could this truck have an insurance from someone like grundy?

I have grundy and pay $454/yr. Can't use this if you use your truck as a daily though.

jontyre said:
I have grundy and pay $454/yr. Can't use this if you use your truck as a daily though.
or if your under 25 too i think, i looked into it once and after i turn 25 in march i'm going to shop around, i've got Geico and its about 177 a month for the truck and liability on my surburban

My SRT and 93 & 95 Lightnings are insured by Grundys, pay 576.00 a year for all 3. Can't be a daily driver though and it has to be in a garage. I like Mercury Insurance, I insure my Rumble Bee and my wifes SRT 300 through them.

ccfeyh said:
We just got rid of Progressive, they quote you a good price, then start jacking the price everytime you renew. We have good driving records and they jumped us to about $2400.00 a year for two cars. I got in a wreck three years ago, not my fault, found to be 100% the other person's fault and Progressive jacked my rates.

We just moved to AAA, they are currently charging us $986.00 a year with better coverage than we had with Progressive.

Did they begin upping rates before your incident or after?

i was with progressive for a long time...i had a bit of a history;)...and they were great...and didn't jack my rates around....

changed over to a GMAC policy (i have a commercial auto policy on the truck, trailer, and the wife's jeep) ...i think around $2,000/year for full coverage on all, and i have (still) a lingering wreckless driving violation and one accident...i totalled my 72 summer before last, and it took a bit of haggling (it was insured for $12k)....but i got $10, and i was happy with that outcome.....

i have travelers on my house, some jewelery, and guns, and i guess they're good...never had to make a claim, Lord willing...rate wise, i thing they're outstanding....

my father just switched all his vehicles and house to travelers as well...because of me...(my insurance agent has my cars, house, personal shit, and business liability/bond/etc.)...but i don't mind paying a bit more for personal customer service, anyways...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back