Silver 04 being brought back to life

VPRPWRD

VTCoA Ring Leader
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As most of you know I picked up a silver 04 in non running condition. I finally got rolling on it this weekend. Here are the pics of the current state of the truck and I will update as I move forward. I decided to remove the engine and transmission so everything can be inspected so the new owner will know exactly what they are getting.

Pulled the transmission first which I now have down to a science and can have it on the ground in under an hour.

Clutch is in decent shape but will be replaced with a new one.

With the transmission out we found the rear main seal had been leaking for quite some time, also found a flywheel bolt snapped off in the crank.

Inner fenders removed, exhaust manifolds off, A/C system evacuated, radiator drained and everything removed from in front of the engine. It's time to rip it out of there. :D

Engine disassembly started shortly after removal and for 92k miles, this engine was very clean inside!!

The only damage was to the cylinder wall where the valve seat dropped in this picture:

After removing and disassembling the engine I took a ride to Long Island and met with yelofvrsrt10 and took the rest of the blocks he is willing to part with off of his hands.

Very nice, very nice indeed

Cool, mine actually is getting pulled today for a teardown as well. Shop couldnt see anything mechanically wrong with the valve covers off or the inspection plate off.

So now im worried it will be a rod bearing. :(

VPRPWRD, was that motor seized?

Cool, mine actually is getting pulled today for a teardown as well. Shop couldnt see anything mechanically wrong with the valve covers off or the inspection plate off.

So now im worried it will be a rod bearing. :(

VPRPWRD, was that motor seized?

It was not seized, it dropped a valve seat on the right side head.

So the block is junk? Did I miss something?

It isn't junk, just needs to be bored. I can't get stock over sized pistons, only forged, and I'm not spending forged money on a stock truck.

It isn't junk, just needs to be bored. I can't get stock over sized pistons, only forged, and I'm not spending forged money on a stock truck.

Call SPT (Specialty Performance Team) he has a new set of oversize forged pistons that are under $900.00

I got the crankshaft back from the machine shop today, broken flywheel bolt removed, and journals are all in excellent condition and perfect for standard main and rod bearings. Waiting on block measurements to determine if original block can be bored and re-used or if I will go with the new block.

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back