Smoke at startup

Srt-BoZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it normal for there to some smoke at start-up with the truck completly cold, smells alittle gassy. i have no experience with viper motors so i have no clue. smoke is white btw and its about 42degrees here.

Is it smoke or steam? It could just be condensation burning off as the pipes warm up.

would it look like smoke i mean its whitish and the truck only has 1k miles. i was thinking it was just cold?

Srt-BoZ said:
would it look like smoke i mean its whitish and the truck only has 1k miles. i was thinking it was just cold?
It's probably just steam. If it's cold outside, the warm exhaust gases will create steam just as your breath does when you blow out. It looks like smoke. With only 1K on your truck it might be the rings haven't fully sealed but I doubt that. Probably just steam.

i THINK it have happened to me too, but when i start my truck and drive for maybe 3 miles around then come to stop at red light, a lot of smoke come out of pipes but i am guessing it is normal, is it?

yea it might be smoke or steam the truck runs fine, barks second in the auto lol

yup its jsut steam i leave my truck in the garage every night and i let it idle for about 5 min every morning when i go to skoo and when im at a stop white steam comes out its normal to cold conditions

In cooler weather when you shut the engine off, condensation forms in the exhaust system. When you start it up, it heats up and exits the exhaust pipe.

Part of it can also be related to how far you drive it when you start it and how ofter you drive it.

If you start the truck and only drive it a few miles it doesn't get warm enough to heat up the condensation to get it out of the system. Do that a few times and you will get a lot of condensation in the system and it will smoke (smoke is not really the right word here) like hell.

yeah then i better leave it idle every 5mins before drive it because i dont want any problems caused

DRamSrt10 said:
yeah then i better leave it idle every 5mins before drive it because i dont want any problems caused

The magnaflows have a small pinholes in the muffler so that it will self drain the condensation... I noticed this on mine.. and called Magnaflow, and confirmed seeing water/condensation dripping from the muffler and tailpipes when it was cold out to be normal.

oh thats good and i am planning to get magnaflow too, how is it? what is your opinion on it?

DRamSrt10 said:
oh thats good and i am planning to get magnaflow too, how is it? what is your opinion on it?

I love the sound of the Magnaflow. It was a pain to install on my 06 however.. but got it done. far better than stock.

nice! i want to get one for my '04 rc. i hope it wont be pain in neck to install haha

Yeah it's just steam. It's 27 degrees here and my truck does it every morning. I think it's complaining about the cold too!!LMAO!!:D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back