Smoke/Steam from Oil Catch Can filter

Scooby82882

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just finished installing a JMB Intake and catch can, went for a 5 minute ride, and opened the hood with the truck idling. I noticed smoke/steam coming from the mini filter on the catch can, and was wondering if this is normal? I didn't smell anything to think there was a problem, and the filter didn't feel like it was hot.

Just finished installing a JMB Intake and catch can, went for a 5 minute ride, and opened the hood with the truck idling. I noticed smoke/steam coming from the mini filter on the catch can, and was wondering if this is normal? I didn't smell anything to think there was a problem, and the filter didn't feel like it was hot.

did you contact justin?:confused:

Mine has the vapors also. I think it is normal, but I also think it adds to the odor that I get with the a/c on. Then again, the smell could be come from the 1 year old in the car seat :eek:

Very bad odor and sooner or later the filter will get wet or oilly and will start spraying oil so might need to replace it often. Or at least i have too.

It's normal, there's nothing to be in high alert about, I run a duel catch can set up and it does the same, filter doesnt leak anything or get saturated wet.I put about 3k on mine and there was about 1/2-3/4" of water in can.

It's normal, there's nothing to be in high alert about, I run a duel catch can set up and it does the same, filter doesnt leak anything or get saturated wet.I put about 3k on mine and there was about 1/2-3/4" of water in can.

That reminds me. I have to check mine. I installed it more than a year and a half ago and forgot about it (even though she's been driven an equivalent of less than 6 months since then). I mean :dontknow:it could be almost filled with water or oil or a combination of both. We'll see.

The crap inside there STINKS..

An option for you;

I ran the output of my JMB Catch Can back to the Airbox OE nipple. I do not want to deal with the potential mist and stink issues. Plus, a little draw is beneficial when it comes to crankcase evacuation.

An option for you;

I ran the output of my JMB Catch Can back to the Airbox OE nipple. I do not want to deal with the potential mist and stink issues. Plus, a little draw is beneficial when it comes to crankcase evacuation.

Only thing about that is your losing the benefit of the catch can, those vapors are what can cause detonation and reason for using catch can is to reduce that, it won't be as bad as not using one, but taking away the total affect and benefit.

Like the others said, the catch can is doing its job by venting all the crap to the atmosphere rather than it being routed back into the intake and being reburnt. This is why the catch can is beneficial to have.

Heres pictures from both sides of my engine, I have two catch cans. They are mounted on the side of the frame (one on the left and one on the right) and the lines coming from the valve covers go directly to each can.

IMG_6057.jpg

IMG_6058.jpg

For those of you who don't like the smell or the maintenance of having to drain the can, then just run a couple of long hoses from the valve covers under the truck somewhere and just let them vent to atmosphere. That is basically what they did in the old days.

Another option is a crankcase ventilation kit and then the lines will get connected into the exhaust system and the exhaust will suck it out of the engine and out through the tail pipe.

Thank you for the pics I really need to just get splash guards for the valve covers. Thats one thing Tony had pointed out a while back. If i could ony keep it out of the shop Id be good.

Only thing about that is your losing the benefit of the catch can, those vapors are what can cause detonation and reason for using catch can is to reduce that, it won't be as bad as not using one, but taking away the total affect and benefit.

I was just about to post the same thing. Doesn't really make sense to run a catch can, if ur gonna route right back in. Although, I guess the catch is catching most of the blow-by.

Like the others said, the catch can is doing its job by venting all the crap to the atmosphere rather than it being routed back into the intake and being reburnt. This is why the catch can is beneficial to have.

Heres pictures from both sides of my engine, I have two catch cans. They are mounted on the side of the frame (one on the left and one on the right) and the lines coming from the valve covers go directly to each can.

IMG_6057.jpg

IMG_6058.jpg

Dude!!! That spark plug wire routing is brilliant. Looks super clean!!!

OK. With that being said, if the catch can (JMB) is designed correctly, the oil that was puddling in my intake should now be caught in the tank. Other than temperature, are remaining vapors are still considered "Harmful"?!?

I do not want the vapor smell in the cab. Additionaly, I would like to retain the draw on the crankcase.

Anyone here willing to share some options or idea's they use?

Thanks

What about putting a hose of some kind onto the catch can where the filter is. Then route the hose under the cab of the truck. Then you still have the benefit of the can and the vented vapors are away from the front of the cab.

What about putting a hose of some kind onto the catch can where the filter is. Then route the hose under the cab of the truck. Then you still have the benefit of the can and the vented vapors are away from the front of the cab.

I am working on that at this time. I will use the Bernoulli effect on the 3/4 exit tube from the catch can. I will mount the tube at the chin plate under front of truck.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back