So I am having to add Oil

ViperSmokedYou

Reaction score
SO after about every 1000 miles I have to put a quart of Oil back into the truck.
It gets changed every 3000 miles. I am running 0w-40 royal purple, 9.2 quarts go in every oil change, I have on the JTSP Oil lines so there is no leaking, I install the Viper Oil filter every time. I have noticed every time I hit the throttle hard that I get like a race track fuel smell but I was told it was normal with these trucks. Can any one help me

SO after about every 1000 miles I have to put a quart of Oil back into the truck.
It gets changed every 3000 miles. I am running 0w-40 royal purple, 9.2 quarts go in every oil change, I have on the JTSP Oil lines so there is no leaking, I install the Viper Oil filter every time. I have noticed every time I hit the throttle hard that I get like a race track fuel smell but I was told it was normal with these trucks. Can any one help me

I use to run Royal Purple in 0W40,5W40&10W40 no matter what grade it drank it. Then I had my engine go out so let's just say I'm not running it anymore. Running Mobil 1 5W40 oil in the fresh engine & no use.

I think my John Deere tractor also shit the bed on R. P.

You will be ok switching to another brand. By the 2nd change all the old oil should be out. Almost every oil manufacturer says their oil is compatible with others.

Rings don't seat well on these trucks. You'll have excess usage due to this.
I agree with mobil1 but 15/50

1 quart for every 1,000 miles is considered normal oil consumption. There is some mileage specification for that but I can't remember because I'm drunk

Arrow told me I could run 15w50 in HOT weather but 5W40 would be safe to use especially in cold weather. They replaced the front cover/oil pump when they did the engine. We'll let me tell you this thing has 90lbs of oil pressure cold & not to much less when hot. If I use 15W50 I'm afraid it will blow the oil filter off! Lol

I have a feeling my engine was on the way out for a while with the amount of oil dripping out the air filter.
The trans guy that did my slave cylinder told me not to run Royal purple. He has a Chevy Chevelle drag car that ate a motor on that oil. Guess I should Have listen to him because before my next oil change the engine melted a piston. I'm thinking it was from excess friction in the ring land area for some reason.

I would start with an oil & filter change. Install a breather kit like JMB kit. This way it'll be easier to gauge how much oil you're losing through blow by.
The other option is a compression and leak down test.
Have also heard a quart per thousand miles is not abnormal with a stock engine

I have a feeling my engine was on the way out for a while with the amount of oil dripping out the air filter.
The trans guy that did my slave cylinder told me not to run Royal purple. He has a Chevy Chevelle drag car that ate a motor on that oil. Guess I should Have listen to him because before my next oil change the engine melted a piston. I'm thinking it was from excess friction in the ring land area for some reason.

There is lots of good oils out there and I had my rod bearing out using Mobil 1, and is Mobil 1 a bad oil No! As far as your trans guy telling you not to ran RP oil tells me he doesn't know anything.:dontknow:

There is lots of good oils out there and I had my rod bearing out using Mobil 1, and is Mobil 1 a bad oil No! As far as your trans guy telling you not to ran RP oil tells me he doesn't know anything.:dontknow:

That's what I thought about him. It was a hell of a coincidence then.
His old shop manager would trade me free lift & tool use + his price on parts for the same in H-D parts, special tool use etc. the guy went back to doing construction and the owner took back over management. After that I let them do a few jobs I paid for till the last one. Not been back since.

I first used Royal Purple SAE 0W40&5W40 then switched to 10W40 High Performance Street oils. Maybe I should have ran the XPR Raceing oil?

Not to rob your thread, but I was thinking of swapping to 15/50.

Does this affect your oil pressure? Only reason I ask is mine idles @ 45psi and while driving its between 75-80psi, and probably closer to 90 at start up. If I run 15/50 is it going to get even more high?!

Not to rob your thread, but I was thinking of swapping to 15/50.

Does this affect your oil pressure? Only reason I ask is mine idles @ 45psi and while driving its between 75-80psi, and probably closer to 90 at start up. If I run 15/50 is it going to get even more high?!

That's what I was wondering. I'm getting around the same oil pressure running 5W40. Plus I bought 10 gal of Mobil 1 5W40 Turbo Diesel Truck oil while waiting for my motor to be done. I guess it was like buying baby clothes while the old lady still pregnant. Do you buy pink or blue? Lol

Haha, on 0w40 I'm at those high pressure readings compared to my last truck. So that's my only concern.

Haha, on 0w40 I'm at those high pressure readings compared to my last truck. So that's my only concern.

Then you should be good to go.
When I had 10W40 in the old engine it would tap for a second when started below 30deg. Especially after sitting. Only did this twice but it was a little unnerving. That is why I'm a little hesitant about useing anything thicker than 5W40.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back