So the Factory Intake Manifold sucks.

MG42pillbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing from just about everyone that the factory intake manifold is extremely restrictive and inefficient. I’m told by many its supposed to make a significant power increase by upgrading it. (What is the fix) Is porting the simple solution?

MG42pillbox said:
I keep hearing from just about everyone that the factory intake manifold is extremely restrictive and inefficient. I’m told by many its supposed to make a significant power increase by upgrading it. (What is the fix) Is porting the simple solution?

No, it would be making one that has equally Lenght runners to all cylinders
fed by a centrally located throttle body or multiple throttle bodys, maybe even a cross feed manifold (for long runners ) much like the 440 Daytona manifolds of the late 60's

2 throttle bodies like the engine before and after ours!!

SuperZ said:
2 throttle bodies like the engine before and after ours!!

No, they are located for hood clearance not performance. The throttle bodies Must be Equal distance to each valve or the velocities of the fuel /air supply
will charge each cylinder a different amount of air causing a tuning nightmare as the one we have with a manifold with runners a few inches away from the throttle body to a couple of feet away.........just a very Bad Design

The best would be 10 Tb's, one for each cylinder.

Hogan's Racing Manifolds come to mind

ya can go to Exotic Engine Development web site & check out their solution for improved intake
:rock: :rock: :rock: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

Last edited:
ZCx said:
Hogan's Racing Manifolds come to mind

ya can go to Exotic Engine Development web site & check out their solution for improved intake
:rock: :rock: :rock: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

Nice work , but Highly Overpriced for god's sake :( I am a welder/fab guy among other things, and that amount of money is obsene for what you get. IMHO

a bit, i agree. but he builds each manifold to match the engine.
knowledge has a price tag also.

do love the Weber style TB's on Exotic's engine.

includemeout said:
Nice work , but Highly Overpriced for god's sake :( I am a welder/fab guy among other things, and that amount of money is obsene for what you get. IMHO

You need to bear in mind that Hogans is one of the top sheet metal intake builders in the racing industry. The work isn't just nice, it's really really nice.:rock:

The most significant flaw with the GENIII intake IMHO, is the resulting variance in air/fuel from the front cylinders to the back (as found by Roe Racing).

Ram From Hell said:
You need to bear in mind that Hogans is one of the top sheet metal intake builders in the racing industry. The work isn't just nice, it's really really nice.:rock:

The most significant flaw with the GENIII intake IMHO, is the resulting variance in air/fuel from the front cylinders to the back (as found by Roe Racing).

See post #4 Often times it is the " Name" that Commands Big Bucks

Yes he does very nice work , but, there is that name thing. Sig Erson made cams in his garage when I was young and no one wanted one untill he got the "name" (Guru Status) then they became the cam to have ( after Wes Evens won the Winter Nationals in his Chevell in 66 or 67 don't remember)

So look around there are many peeps out there that can do the job as well for less, just have to hunt them down. my .03 cents

Man, it took for ever to make the body on that buggy and it looks like poop :(

The best thing is to have an intake true honed, makes a huge difference and it only cost $750 thur JTS Venom Performance:rock:

Voodoo said:
Man, it took for ever to make the body on that buggy and it looks like poop :(
It could look better

Wifey said:
It could look better

hell yea it could, as a matter of fact everything that comes out of don's shop with a scoop is modeled off my truck :D :D

I will be be posting Dyno results next week for an extrude honed factory intake that has also be ported and has a "diffuser" installed. Dan is also going to try and get one of the BBK throttle bodies to work. My engine is stock except for headers and a tune. The plan is to dyno the engine to get a baseline, then install the BBK , dyno again to see the gain with just the throttle body, then install the ported intake and dyno a final time to see if there is any gain on a stock motor. I will post a new thread with results. I will be at DC Performance on Wed. 11-12-08 for anybody in the area that is interested.

Trainman said:
I will be be posting Dyno results next week for an extrude honed factory intake that has also be ported and has a "diffuser" installed. Dan is also going to try and get one of the BBK throttle bodies to work. My engine is stock except for headers and a tune. The plan is to dyno the engine to get a baseline, then install the BBK , dyno again to see the gain with just the throttle body, then install the ported intake and dyno a final time to see if there is any gain on a stock motor. I will post a new thread with results. I will be at DC Performance on Wed. 11-12-08 for anybody in the area that is interested.
great info to be seen, look forward to this...... :)

i'm really wanting to see the results as well...these truck's are such a money pit:rock: :rock:

ARRESTmeRed04 said:
i'm really wanting to see the results as well...these truck's are such a money pit:rock: :rock:

it be verrrrry interesting................

yes they are...........ain't it grand:rock: :burnout: :congrats: :rock: :burnout: :congrats:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back