Sound amplification system restrictions

s8taxatty

Reaction score
Here's why I love Maryland:

Transportation Article §21-1122 [T]he driver of the vehicle may not operate ... a sound amplification system from the vehicle that can be heard outside the vehicle from 50 or more feet.

Not a moving violation BUT a criminal misdemeanor! :chain:

I found this and other disturbing laws while researching if my laser shifter is legal in the Peoples Republic of Maryland - turns out it is.

WOW!! A crime to listen to music at what you feel is an acceptable volume, but someone else thinks is too loud....

Ehh its a semi valid law. If your music is that loud the odds of you hearing an emergency vehicle are pretty slim. The only reason they are using the 50 foot rule is it prob a general guid line as a sounds being heard 50 feet away = x number of DB. Can't really expect cops to stand around with SPL meters listening to people drive by. BTW that noise violation also pertains to exhausts as well.

Still implausible to enforce because of vagueness, ie. 50ft to whom? My deaf daughter can't hear it neither would my old parents if they were alive. And 50ft of what frequency? The wavelength of a sub is measured in feet and high frequency in micrometer. The sub wave would not interfere with hearing the high frequency ems vehicles and can be heard for long distances. It's still a B.S. law IMO.
In Maryland the noise level of exhausts is set by Administrative fiat under the Transportation Code but has the force of law. I haven't been able to find what is the level of unacceptable noise, even with legal research software. So how is the general public to know? Another piece of B.S. IMO.

Sorry for the rant.

If you haven't realized by now if the cops want to F with you they are going to. Most don't feel like bothering with noise violation unless they are forced to or you piss them off. Just life.

True. Saw a cop on a bicycle with a radar gun in my neighborhood. No chaser cop down the street, though. That's a first.

Best one I ever saw was a horse cop in OC at the OC car show trotting across the street to yell at a guy after he revved up his little Civic with a loud ass fart pipe.

Nice. I'll take a little noise over horse shi*t all over. Especially at the beach!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back