Spark Plug Indexing

SRTgarrett

Reaction score
Hey - not sure if this is the right place to be posting this, but...
I have read around in here and see some talk about indexing the spark plugs when changing them. I understand what it means, but i have not seen anything detailed on how to do it. And i ask myself if it is worth the time and effort? I am ready to change my plugs, and if it is worth taking the time to do, then i would appreciate any help on how to do it right.

thanks everyone

I feel Indexing our engines is beneficial. The more cylinders you have the more benefit. Especially the more "inline" on the crank. So, in our case, we have two "in line 5 cylinder engines on one crank". We also have a detonation prone, in-efficient combustion chamber.
EACH cylinder represents an individual engine. I believe that the more balanced each cylinder is, the more power you will make.

51830d1373666002-03-06-gen-3-cylinder-heads-complete-image.jpg

In the image above, I would aim to have the spark plug electrode at 11 o'clock.

Check out these articles to assist you in your query...

Eaton Balancing » Spark Plug Indexing

SparkPlug Indexing

Good Luck!:rock:

Definitely worth the time and effort. Buy an extra plug for the one that fails to line up between 11 - 1 o'clock.

Actually buy about 10 extra plugs ;)
Mark where electrode is pointing, then once seated where that mark is pointed in relation to the valves. It will take many tires and patience to get them indexed. Is it worth it, likely. Do I do it, only have a few times and don't do it as normal practice.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back