Spark plug wire change help!!

VENOMOUS1 RACING

Has Left the Room - Banned from VTCOA!
Reaction score
Ok, so I just purchased a set of MSD wires for the 10 after noticing that for some reason I have 2 VIPER labeled wires and 8 MOPAR labeled wires? NOw I need to know from all you fine folks here what it's gonna take to get these done. I've done the searches and heard many terrible stories about some that even gave up and put the shit back together without changing the wires at all! If I can be a step ahead I'd appreciate it. I know where most of the guys I read about are coming from concerning design flaws and maintanance nightmares and getting so frustrated you want to punch babies! Any help would be welcomed!:marchmellow:

1. Do I need new intake gaskets? Are they o-ring and reusable?
2. coil checks? are there any? Have an occasional missing that seems like more than one cylinder!
3. Anything else I need to know or acquire?

VENOMOUS1 said:
Ok, so I just purchased a set of MSD wires for the 10 after noticing that for some reason I have 2 VIPER labeled wires and 8 MOPAR labeled wires? NOw I need to know from all you fine folks here what it's gonna take to get these done. I've done the searches and heard many terrible stories about some that even gave up and put the shit back together without changing the wires at all! If I can be a step ahead I'd appreciate it. I know where most of the guys I read about are coming from concerning design flaws and maintanance nightmares and getting so frustrated you want to punch babies! Any help would be welcomed!:marchmellow:

1. Do I need new intake gaskets? Are they o-ring and reusable?
2. coil checks? are there any? Have an occasional missing that seems like more than one cylinder!
3. Anything else I need to know or acquire?

1. New intake gaskets
2. Petroleum jelly
3. Spark wire pullers
4. Patience

You will DEFINATELY have to remove the intake plenum, unless you're skilled like Stinker and can somehow magically do it otherwise from below the truck. Watch out for plugs 7 and 9 to the rear of the driver's side. These are a biatch if you don't have proper wire pullers. The casing around the plug areas can come off with a little squeeze and some jiggling. These are reusable.
As far as gaskets go, I would get new ones for the intake plenum. They ae NOT o-ring style. They look more like header gaskets; aluminum and flat. Stinker can get these for you. Be carefull with the injectors. Things could get confusing if you're not paying attention. Try using labels for stuff you unplug or remove. The o-ring gaskets for the injectors are reusable and quite small so keep track of them. Apply a thin film of petroleum jelly to them when you're re-installing them.

On your MSD box what is the number? It should read 32059.

I am just in the middle of putting mine on and everything back together.

NOT FUN.

Pretty simple just i have big hands and i am a big guy so gettin in there aint easy.

Non of my wires say VIPER or MOPAR
They all say MSD 8.5MM Super Conductor Spark Plug Wire.

I have not heard of a way to check the coil packs. It would be part of the computer codes if anything.

YES you can reuse the intake gaskets. Put aside in a place where they are gunnah get destroyed-bent, dirt, oil, paint, etc.

If possible try to keep the wire loom clips. Not easy but if you can keep like 6-8 of them your good.

Other than that pretty simple. Wires coming off should be numbered accordingly to what is printed on the coil packs and cylinders. I took all of mine off , unbolted the coil packs, cleaned the valley, bolted up coil packs, installed wires accordingly.

I am just now getting the valve covers on and intake later today.

Heres a pic.

SHU

Attachments

• Picture 197.jpg
    Picture 197.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16,310
mauiSRT/10 said:
Thats a nice pic. Like the valve covers a lot. Looks great with the red wires.

patrick

Thanks for the compliments. Long Drawn out process. Like a year. But gettin closer. Tryin to work on my stuff, while keeping the shop open aint easy in this economic climate.

Ill post more pics as it comes along.

SHU

Venom Power said:

1. New intake gaskets
2. Petroleum jelly
3. Spark wire pullers
4. Patience

You will DEFINATELY have to remove the intake plenum, unless you're skilled like Stinker and can somehow magically do it otherwise from below the truck. Watch out for plugs 7 and 9 to the rear of the driver's side. These are a biatch if you don't have proper wire pullers. The casing around the plug areas can come off with a little squeeze and some jiggling. These are reusable.
As far as gaskets go, I would get new ones for the intake plenum. They ae NOT o-ring style. They look more like header gaskets; aluminum and flat. Stinker can get these for you. Be carefull with the injectors. Things could get confusing if you're not paying attention. Try using labels for stuff you unplug or remove. The o-ring gaskets for the injectors are reusable and quite small so keep track of them. Apply a thin film of petroleum jelly to them when you're re-installing them.

I heard stinker has really small hands...:D

Thanks for the help guys, wasn't looking to buy gaskets but it's the way of the Viper Tax I guess. Can you get the gaskets locally other than dealer? Autozone,etc? Anyone know the cost of the coils byy chance, now would be the time to replace them. It almost acts like it's running on 5 cylinders when it acts up. You can smell the unburnt gas immediatley!
Oh my FACTORY (guessing) wires had the VIPER and Mopar logos on em' not the MSDs although that would rock :rock: along with cylinder #s.

OK gotcha

Everyone of my ORIGINAL wires said Mopar on one side and the cylinder # and Viper on the other.

I would hold on to your gaskets. Im almost positive they can be re-used.

Also your coils should be good. I would check other components before trying to purchase another set. You shoulda been throwing codes if you had cylinders down.

Hopefully more guys with more info will pipe up.

And you wont need to disconect the fuel lines. Undo all the fuel injector elctrical connectors and undo the fuel rails from the manifold. Pull out the WHOLE rail and set to the side. The intake manifold is a pain to get out. The last couple bolts are not easy to get to or even have tools for. Make sure you have a magnet rod handy for loose bolts. YOU DO NOT WANT THOSE FALLIN INTO THE INTAKE PORTS WHEN YOU PULL YOUR MANIFOLD OFF.

shu

500snakz said:
I heard stinker has really small hands...:D

uhhh.. I wouldn't know.. He'd need large hands to handle my stuff.. errr, I mean.. His hands would still have to fit in tight places... NO NO I meant his hands would have to be precise to get my motor runni... Nevermind, :dontknow: I'll just shut up now.

Last edited:
Phuggers:p

ok viper, it can be done, but the correct way is

you need a tool to remove the fuel line

then remove all electrical connections, throttle body, so on

remove intake, you can reuse the intake gaskets,

swap and drop the wires,
oh and the two rear intake bolts are a bitch to get to

VENOMOUS1 said:
Thanks gain fellas! Think I'll have to get a six-pack of Dos Equis for this fugger@!

6 PACK

LOL

Ur gunnah need at MINIMUM a 12 Pack.

More like a case and a buddy to help you keep your cool.

TRUST ME. Get a helper.

Like Stink said. Those last 2 intake bolts on the driver side are a BIG BITCH to remove. U gottah have a friend to get them and not loose the bolt.

ALSO

Take off the hood. Just my $.02

SHU

get a 12-14 inch flat edged screwdriver, a very long set of needle nose pliers,

take you time , and dont remove the intake:D

anyone got the balls to challenge me I will gladly do it at the panama gtg on a non FI engine, if I cant, you get a free set of wires, if I can, you owe for a set of wires and $50:D

Stinker said:
Phuggers:p

ok viper, it can be done, but the correct way is

you need a tool to remove the fuel line

then remove all electrical connections, throttle body, so on

remove intake, you can reuse the intake gaskets,

swap and drop the wires,
oh and the two rear intake bolts are a bitch to get to

what did i do? :D :D :D :D :D :D

hell bro by the time i get the miles on mine to be time for new plugs and wires, im just dropin it off at ur shop !!! :D :D :D :D

I will gladly do it at the panama GTG, you supply the beer, I supply the wires,

if I can do it, someone will owe for the wires and $50 and the beer:p

if I cant, you get free wires, and free beer:p

Stinker said:
I will gladly do it at the panama GTG, you supply the beer, I supply the wires,

if I can do it, someone will owe for the wires and $50 and the beer:p

if I cant, you get free wires, and free beer:p

hmmmm. w/o removing the intake ?

Stinker said:
yup, without removeing the intake;)

man, now im going to have to come down....

been tryin to get off work, but it not looking like it going to happen, and the wife said we are not going to have the $$, after ordering the parts for the truck........ i told her to get another job for a mth lol :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back