Starter issue

Silver05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got my truck back from the trans shop and they said it wasn't starting or the battery was dead, so I called the dealer and had them pick it up not dealing with the bs, I just bought it, they put a new battery in it, I drove it all day , and now the starter is dragging or acting like the battery is dead , is this common ? What should I have the dealer look at Tomorrow?

Check the negative cable on the thermostat housing. Take it off clean it and reattach it.

There's a plastic plug wire into starter that I see often broken and cause this issue as well as loose wiring after someone working on them. You have a ground to frame and TStat housing as guys above stated..

I'll check that one, I have already replaced the 3 coming off the battery

Just weird cause it was/is only doing it when it's hot or been driven awhile

Last edited:
I did that yesterday but the ground cable is new, I took the bolt out and cleaned it with a wire brush same around the tstat housing

Ok so I took my wife out to lunch and met up with my son and his fiancé, sat there for about an hour, came out and all I was getting was click click , so we tried to jump it ,Nothing! I pushed started it and it started right up , another thing was the battery wires and terminals were super hot the engine was super cool ! It's going back in tomorrow this is bs!

Ok guys, well I pulled the starter off and sure shit, that plastic clip was brittle and broke but the starter is also stuck , I tried the old jumper cable trick and it won't kick out

Cant jump these trucks. Need to have a quality battery.
Pretty easy starter rebuild if you can find the kit.
Had a similar problem, cleaned up the starter and replaced copper clips as well.
Should last for a while.

So here's what they did , they replaced the ground from the battery to the tstat housing , and 4 days later figured out the starter was bad after I had told them it was !

Just got my truck back from the trans shop and they said it wasn't starting or the battery was dead, so I called the dealer and had them pick it up not dealing with the bs, I just bought it, they put a new battery in it, I drove it all day , and now the starter is dragging or acting like the battery is dead , is this common ? What should I have the dealer look at Tomorrow?

I assume that's loose wiring. We have experienced it a lot of time before.

I removed the starter myself and I tested it, and yes it was bad

That's good then. At least, you can start working on the problem since you already know what to work on.

Idk if you read but the dealership already replaced it

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back