starting my sts project

Your gonna get a ton of suggests, some good some bad, personally I would definitly use someone esle to do the tuning, but thats my opinion.

and if you want good usuably hp, you are definitly headed in the right direction. Will the STS make 800hp, probably with the right set up and turbo, jsut take all the info in and make your own decision, if others had done a little homework they also would have gotten it right the first time;)

hence prediction of 640rwhp:p

rottenronnie said:
ctsrt10 said:
the thing i dont get is if marty is making 787 on a stock cam and stock heads why would the coupe cam do me wrong its almost like the stocker./QUOTE]

.............it is just hard to respond to something like that........

Yup, my Mother said, if you can't say something nice, shut your fu$kn mouth. And I usually listen to Mom.

Stinker said:
Your gonna get a ton of suggests, some good some bad, personally I would definitly use someone esle to do the tuning, but thats my opinion.

and if you want good usuably hp, you are definitly headed in the right direction. Will the STS make 800hp, probably with the right set up and turbo, jsut take all the info in and make your own decision, if others had done a little homework they also would have gotten it right the first time;)

hence prediction of 640rwhp:p
thanks tony that is what this tread is all about i want to hear it all i set a goal for my self and that to have a repectful sts truck that goin to hold up. the 800 mark is the goal will i see it right a way NO. cause im goin to need a bigger pot to piss in. the cost to build the motor is goin to dent me. hopefully the man that has a fix to this turbo will chime in and put his 2 cents in.

Last edited:
you would be wise to use a set of head studs tho bro, for safeties sake;)

Just make sure to tell yourself this.

do what you can afford without going deep in debt.......you may not end up having the fastest around , but you and your wallet will be much happier;)

Make what you end up making, and be happy with that:rock:

besides, much past 700rwhp is a waste without suspension mods:burnout:

gotta run , my chiken is gettin cold:mad: :D

the studs are bein done and you reminded me what i wanted to get when i had you on the phone ill send a p.m

Last edited:
Stinker said:
you would be wise to use a set of head studs tho bro, for safeties sake;)

Just make sure to tell yourself this.

do what you can afford without going deep in debt.......you may not end up having the fastest around , but you and your wallet will be much happier;)

Make what you end up making, and be happy with that:rock:

besides, much past 700rwhp is a waste without suspension mods:burnout:

gotta run , my chiken is gettin cold:mad: :D

are you done with the chicken?????? now back to work!....i want to know more on this set up!

Stinker said:
uh............yeah they will:eek: I ran stock ones with 20 psi:D

jsut depends on the builder;)

Let me rephrase, stock head gaskets and stock head bolts will not last long. I would definitely run cometics and head studs if your going for 15+ psi.
Justin

ctsrt10 said:
rottenronnie said:
thats what im saying it makes no sence are we missing something or is the tune.

Look at the link provided by 505'sFastestViper to see Marty's Dyno Sheet.

Back to the first few posts, you won't make 800 wheel with 10 pounds of boost. Not with what you have indicated for parts.

That huge power fall-off at 4300 shown on the dyno sheet could be a graphic representation of the "stock" heads and cam trying to utilize (breathe) 22 pounds of air pressure. I'm sure they were more than a little confused. Frankly, I'm impressed they lasted that long (4300 r.p.m.)

So, don't you be confused by the statement- We made xxx horsepower and xxx Torque "Using Stock Heads and Cam". You have to be comparing apples to apples. Or at least boost numbers...

Your goal for more power (lots?) is attainable with all kinds of ways to get there, I just don't think you chose the best way. Heed the advice of members on this forum and, like Stink mentioned, take all the info in; Then proceed if you like what you read and hear. And, as mentioned, USE THE SERVICES OF A KNOWLEDGEABLE TUNER FAMILIAR WITH THESE ENGINES AND TRUCKS, WITH A PROVEN RECORD OF GOOD RESULTS.

Back to the STS for a moment... I don't care if you are using Kryptonite rods and pistons...IF THE INCONSISTENT BOOST PROBLEM THAT PARTICULAR TURBO SYSTEM HAS HAD, HAS NOT BEEN SORTED OUT, YOU WON'T LIKE THE END RESULT.

I thought the problem was supposed to have been sorted out when the last engine blew.

Rotten(that is as "friendly" as I can put it)Ronnie

Prof- I didn't always listen to Mom :D

Last edited:
Prof said:
rottenronnie said:
I think that was very tactful!

Thanks!

I'm not sure what this is, but it seems appropriate right now- :marchmellow:
(Is it like a warm & freakin' fuzzy thing or what??) :dontknow:

Prof- I am going to a sea-level track in the Spring to run a very very low 12 or maybe even dip into the 11s with my N.A. Quad Cab the way it sits right now.
If you don't run yours at the track, it will look like the one in your avatar in a few years. If it even "hears" you did all that work and won't take it out even once, it will become despondent and die a slow and needless death.
Come to Mission B.C. (Canada). That is where I am going. We can go late at night with masks on so nobody will know it is us.
I will keep your times a secret. However, I WILL POST mine !!! :D
You should easily break into the 13s :D , and get that 14 second monkey off your back!

Last edited:
I have trouble remembering where the gears are...and when I remember where the shifter goes, I forget to depress the clutch...or I leave the air conditioning on and the emergency brake is engaged...just too old...

That's 2150 miles! Let's see at 45 miles an hour...that's about 48 hours of driving...48 piss stops, two dozen thirty minute naps...hell I would need all summer to get there!

Prof said:
I have trouble remembering where the gears are...and when I remember where the shifter goes, I forget to depress the clutch...or I leave the air conditioning on and the emergency brake is engaged...just too old...

That's 2150 miles! Let's see at 45 miles an hour...that's about 48 hours of driving...48 piss stops, 24 thirty minute naps...hell I would need all summer to get there!

Leave right now. I'll watch for you in May when the track opens.
You can use a "Motorman's Friend", if you can still find one. If you can't, just duct tape a flattened (Large) pop bottle to your LOWER leg, get yourself a pliable rubber funnel (more duct tape?) and some plastic tubing and....you can save the piss stops.
Naps? That is what cruise control is for.
45 miles per hour is around 73 kms./hr. Use that, it will make you feel better. Or pull that lever on your right, down (to put it in at least 2nd gear).
See you in the Spring!

Last edited:
Were the numbers quoted by Marty rwhp or hp? If its hp then you'll need to decrease that for driveline loss to get the numbers at the wheels.

My truck with a Paxton at 8psi (through a Joe Donovan tune) made 667 rwhp, 702rwhp with water/meth. Just an FYI...granted the turbos should be more efficient, but not that much more. I too had the stock injectors and maxed them out.

Dave T(BADVENM) said:
Were the numbers quoted by Marty rwhp or hp? If its hp then you'll need to decrease that for driveline loss to get the numbers at the wheels.

My truck with a Paxton at 8psi (through a Joe Donovan tune) made 667 rwhp, 702rwhp with water/meth. Just an FYI...granted the turbos should be more efficient, but not that much more. I too had the stock injectors and maxed them out.

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=27523&d=1215028443

Dynojet wheel dyno...

Really tough question...seems to depend on what you want to achieve.

I don't think anyone has gone to the point of saying that STS is bad. They have great reputation in many applications. The experience in our Trucks has been bad...there is only one person who has had success and he is a builder (Marty), but there are some that have had some issues with him. He fixed a long time members STS truck and it seems to have held together.

Our experience with Hennessey has been bad. Walt had a truck with a huge build that never worked out. That same truck is now owned by another member who has just finished a complete rebuild.

There are lots of successes with Paxton, Roe and Turbo's other than STS. Another success story is spraying...

The answer to your question depends on what you want to achieve. Plan your work, work your plan, or in other words: Begin with the end in mind.

One step at a time modification is a very dangerous way to approach modification of a high performance vehicle.

Let me start off by saying I do not like the STS on a viper engine, I dont think it gives correct pressures and has tuning issues .
I am not even going into KRC, I get a cring in my kneck these days when they are mentioned, but I want go into that:mad:

but with all that said, my man has obtained the STS for a good deal, the cam even tho not perfect is FREE , so I say use it, it is better than stock and definitly not gonna hurt the motor or tuning whatso ever.

How much power will he make? who really knows:dontknow: but I do think 7-800 is possible with the right tuning. will the curve be perfect? I doubt it.

but the main objective is will he be happy, my guess........most definitly:marchmellow:

Just the feeling of the power from a turbo, will make you use a supercharger for a magazine holder;)

I aint going to tell this guy not to do anything but will tell him straight up the good an bad.

As far as momma...............I dont even speakk to mine:eek:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back