Stealership recommendation for General Maintenance

vvv90

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an '05 RC, 27,000 miles on Odo.

So I took the truck in last night for what seems like a squeaky belt. Dealer said the tensioner needs to be replaced. Part will be in next week.

No biggie.

He then goes on to say I should get the regular maintenance done for the following:

Trans fluid replacement
Rear Diff fluid replacement
Throttlebody clean
Injector clean

For ~$550...He said he's knock 10% off to "help me out." LOL!!!

Seriously, am I needing any of this? If so, how much in parts to do it myself am I looking at. I saw that the diff has both a fill and drain plug so it looks like a snap (My Dakota I had to remove the cover, what a mess.)

How hard is the trans?

Injector cleaning? I'm calling BS on this one. Is there any intank bottle 'o injector cleaning I can buy to resolve this?

Throttle body clean, whatever, that seems easy enough.

Your thoughts?

vvv90 said:
I have an '05 RC, 27,000 miles on Odo.

So I took the truck in last night for what seems like a squeaky belt. Dealer said the tensioner needs to be replaced. Part will be in next week.

No biggie.

He then goes on to say I should get the regular maintenance done for the following:

Trans fluid replacement
Rear Diff fluid replacement
Throttlebody clean
Injector clean

For ~$550...He said he's knock 10% off to "help me out." LOL!!!
Save your money.

vvv90 said:
Seriously, am I needing any of this? If so, how much in parts to do it myself am I looking at. I saw that the diff has both a fill and drain plug so it looks like a snap (My Dakota I had to remove the cover, what a mess.)
EASY!
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14243
(There's a more advanced version with cover removal here: http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14242)

vvv90 said:
How hard is the trans?
EASY!
http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7196

vvv90 said:
Injector cleaning? I'm calling BS on this one. Is there any intank bottle 'o injector cleaning I can buy to resolve this?
What do you think the dealership is going to do? Pull all the injectors and scrub them clean with a toothbrush?
Exactly. They're gonna use the 'bottle in the tank' method too.
(BTW- you don't "clean" injectors. You replace them.)

vvv90 said:
Throttle body clean, whatever, that seems easy enough.
Again, pretty easy. Some acetone and cleaning tools (q-tips, rags, kim-wipes, etc.) and a sunny afternoon.
Done.

Cost in parts/new hand pump: Less than $100.

Thats what i would recommend if you came to my dealership. throttle body service that we do includes removing your throttle body and cleaning all of your carbon off of the throttle body and IAC motor and installing a new throttle body gasket. as far as the diff and trans, diff is due every 15k and i do my trans the same time. i also do the throttle body and fi service every 15k. just my .02

the fuel injection service is a pressurized attachment thats cuts the fuel off and runs a chemical through the fuel rail. it has been proven to work extremely well at cleaning injectors.

TheMoparConnection said:
the fuel injection service is a pressurized attachment thats cuts the fuel off and runs a chemical through the fuel rail. it has been proven to work extremely well at cleaning injectors.
throttle body cleaning? i just replaced mine with Gary's t.b and it looked great- and Ive got 27K on mine- is it really necessary?

RUFROZN said:
throttle body cleaning? i just replaced mine with Gary's t.b and it looked great- and Ive got 27K on mine- is it really necessary?
Also depends on the driving habits.. a lot of stop and go will build up more carbon and if you're heavy on the gas you will build up less carbon. its more of a preventive maintenance, if you let carbon build up on your IAC your vehicle is not going to idle properly,it'll act like it wants to die when coming to a stop.

wouldn't a catch can resolve the "dirty throttle body" issue?

TheMoparConnection said:
Cool.

I've used this stuff a couple of times:
http://www.stp.com/fuel_scfict.html

I'd be curious to compare the two methods and their results.

you could also go to a firestone store and buy the EVERWEAR fi cleaning system. its a 3 part deal. 1) bottle in tank. cleans from tank to fuel rail. 2) goes into the intake via iv drip. cleans the gunk from inside the intake. 3) throttle body cleaner. spray into/on/around throttle body to clean off gunk. sounds like a sales pitch, huh?

Remind me to SLAP the POOP out you at SEMA for even asking. lol

Kidding bro, take Kevan's advise.

You are going to SEMA this year, right?

1bad4dr said:
Remind me to SLAP the POOP out you at SEMA for even asking. lol

Kidding bro, take Kevan's advise.

You are going to SEMA this year, right?

Hey now, I'm just making sure I don't miss something. :D

I just started reading the SEMA threads and put in a vacation request to my boss. I'll hopefully be there Ron!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back