Steel braided power steering line break!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 2quik6, Apr 14, 2021.

Car Parts
  1. 2quik6

2quik6 Full Access Member

Anyone ever had a steel braided power steering line break? Mine did yesterday, has a tiny hole in the line about a foot before the connection to the top of the fluid reservoir.
    Been on the truck 9 years, just curious of this is a common thing.

2. rottenronnie

rottenronnie Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Talk to Tony at Venom Performance (I think that's the name) as they were sold with a lifetime warranty.

GSJake, Srt10650 and Kiwi SRT10 like this.
  3. 2quik6

I noticed on their website, the Oil lines clearly state lifetime warranty, and it states that on my invoice from 2012, but the power steering lines do not say that on the website or my invoice from 2012. I did send him a note about it and ordered a new set yesterday, have not heard back.
    Thanks

4. ZCx

ZCx Active Member Supporting Member

sounds like what mine did.

a pin hole. looked like a flaw in the Teflon liner

5. 2quik6

Look like this? rip just below the radiator hose.
    IMG_4016.JPG

6. ZCx

ZCx Active Member Supporting Member

a bit smaller, but yeah

7. rottenronnie

The swivel coming out of the top of the PS pump is prone to leaking on the O.E.M. hose because the swivel joint (inside) is made of a Teflon material that didn't play well with ATF+4 and fell apart.

Some hoses failed rather early (mine) and some lasted for years.

The factory hoses can be rebuilt at an Industrial Hose shop (and, as a Sidebar, the swivel up top isn't required). Just make sure to get a hose that can withstand at least 2000 PSI which isn't too difficult to source, nor expensive. I went with 3550 psi.

Although many had success with the braided aftermarket lines and liked them,
    I didn't for a couple of reasons:

• I couldn't get mine to stop leaking (ever) as it refused to seal against the body of the PS/Fan "Motor". The OEM hose fitting goes INSIDE the fan motor and uses O-Rings to seal properly rather than the external flat washer setup as with the aftermarket design. Maybe this was changed later on, I dunno.
    • I didn't like the change in the steering feel and it had a sort of snagging on a real quick Left-to-Right turn (or vice versa) which was not confidence inspiring. I'd say that was due to not enough volume with the smaller braided lines.

AMS3 likes this.
  8. AMS3

AMS3 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the insight, Ronnie. I have to put fluid in mine about every three months, depending on how much I drive. I'll hit up a Hyd hose shop to get mine fabbed. How much did you pay for yours?

9. rottenronnie

That was years ago but I think it was around $125.00 to have the PS and the Oil Cooler hoses made.

AMS3 likes this.
  10. 2quik6

So on mine, that little hole / wear spot in the pic I posted, it must have been rubbing the radiator clamp as there is a worn spot on the hose clamp, so that must be the cause.
    Put new hose on today, it makes all kinds of noise until you get all of the air out of the system. I filled it, turned the wheel left/right just tiny amounts. Cut it off, open the fluid reservoir and see all the air bubbles, wait till it clears, add fluid, and repeat until no more air. Took me about 6-7 times, it does whine a lot during this process. Also make sure the belt is not covered as that will cause a lot of chatter too. Cleaned with several coatings of Simple Green, rinse and repeat until clean.

All seems good now, will climb under it after some seat time to make sure there are no slow leaks around the connections.

68charger and AMS3 like this.