STILL OVERHEATING!! Thermostat and bleed, PLEASE HELP!!

Ivan Navarro

Reaction score
First time posting. I am the original owner of my 05 Quad SRT Ram with less than 42k. Truck has been properly maintained and serviced. Recently after long time parked it started overheating. I've checked and topped out coolant, this past weekend I changed thermostat to a 190. Today I bled the system and it still overheats. It'll crawl to 260 and come down with in seconds and stay around 225. I can hear the fan going strong too. When reaches 260 and speed up, all 20 to 45 mph, it bogs for a few seconds. This truck hasn't been on a long trip on over 3 years. Drives consist of 6 to 15 miles when out. Any input greatly appreciated.

First time posting. I am the original owner of my 05 Quad SRT Ram with less than 42k. Truck has been properly maintained and serviced. Recently after long time parked it started overheating. I've checked and topped out coolant, this past weekend I changed thermostat to a 190. Today I bled the system and it still overheats. It'll crawl to 260 and come down with in seconds and stay around 225. I can hear the fan going strong too. When reaches 260 and speed up, all 20 to 45 mph, it bogs for a few seconds. This truck hasn't been on a long trip on over 3 years. Drives consist of 6 to 15 miles when out. Any input greatly appreciated. [/QUOTE

Do you have a tune. Maybe try getting a tune for the lower temp thermostat.

Do you have a tune. Maybe try getting a tune for the lower temp thermostat

I guess I can try that. Last thing I wanted to do was take it to my local dealer, they're not the brightest. Any other ideas are appreciated. By the way, I noticed when it was overheating at 260 I turned on the heater full blast that it didn't immediately blow hot air. For a short time it was blowing semi cool and changed to hot but would change back and forth.

Also, the only present leak is a small power steering leak. Nothing else left behind in driveway. What I thought was weird was the fluctuation of blowing heat and semi cold when overheating at 260.

It really sounds like a stuck thermo or air in the system to me. That would explain the hot cold with heater. I would bleed and bleed till not a bubble comes out. Only thought I have bud. Good luck.

ya got a temp gun????

check the upper rad. hose & lower rad. hose.

should be bout a 5-8 degree difference, after the thermostst opens.

if more, either no circulation or rad. plugged.

water pump belt tight???

rats???

How long does this process take. I've loosened the nozzle above the thermostat housing and it spits out some coolant (not hot while it's on or even at 5 minutes at 255) and mainly vapor but I did this for a good 6 to 7 minutes but never saw a steady stream or no vapor or bubbles stopping. Anyone wanna describe the process for me.

I did a new belt in the fall and ask works great. No temp gun but nothing I can't purchase. Wanna explain the process to flush out if clogged or backed up.

There is air in the heater core. Best thing is to get it warmed up and pressurized. Then ,carefully and slowly bleed air from the bleed nipple at the thermostat housing. Then crank the heater to full heat. It will need a few hot/cool cycles but the air should work itself out. Make sure the hose from the rad to the overflow jug isn't split. Or it will just suck in air again

There is air in the heater core. Best thing is to get it warmed up and pressurized. Then ,carefully and slowly bleed air from the bleed nipple at the thermostat housing.:captain::captain::captain: Then crank the heater to full heat.:captain: :captain::captain: It will need a few hot/cool cycles but the air should work itself out. Make sure the hose from the rad to the overflow jug isn't split. Or it will just suck in air again

FYI, heater is full on all the time. the blend doors are what controls temp

I did a new belt in the fall and ask works great. No temp gun but nothing I can't purchase. Wanna explain the process to flush out if clogged or backed up.

oh, whats the oil temp doin while this is goin on???

only 2 things that i would do. either send it to a rad. shop & see if it can be cleaned or a new raditor.

might be a silly question, is the belt on correctly???

maybe water pump??? bearins might be goin down. causin the impellar runnin **** eyed/rubbin causin cavation in the system.

might look at the pulley & see if its sittin square or loosen the belt yank on the pulley to check for play

ya got a temp gun????

check the upper rad. hose & lower rad. hose.

should be bout a 5-8 degree difference, after the thermostst opens.

if more, either no circulation or rad. plugged.

water pump belt tight???

rats???

I'll look into the temp gun and see where that leads. I did a new belt last fall and worked great. If rad plugged, any ideas or suggestions to flush it out. I'd like to try that next. Here in West Texas we've had at least 4 haboobs in 12 months. It blows pretty nasty out here.

oh, whats the oil temp doin while this goin on???

only 2 things that i would do. either send it to a rad. shop & see if it can be cleaned or a new raditor.

might be a silly question, is the belt on correctly???

maybe water pump??? bearins might be goin down. causin the impellar runnin **** eyed/rubbin causin cavation in the system.

might look at the pulley & see if its sittin square or loosen the belt yank on the pulley to check for play

Oil temp stays at 160ish. Never rises during the overheat. Belt diagram was given to me by dealer. It looks and fits good. I've thought the water pump maybe issues. Good chance I'll get it to a rad shop. The hose isn't split. Inspected it too.

There is air in the heater core. Best thing is to get it warmed up and pressurized. Then ,carefully and slowly bleed air from the bleed nipple at the thermostat housing. Then crank the heater to full heat. It will need a few/cool cycles but the air should work itself out. Make sure the hose from the rad to the overflow jug isn't split. Or it will just suck in air again

So I started the truck up and cranked heater on. I loosened the nipple and vapor came out. About 4 minutes in I looked and saw 255. I continued the process for another good 3 or 4 minutes and the vapor kept with some coolant. It was never a steady stream. The hose isn't split, inspected that too.

Oil temp stays at 160ish. Never rises during the overheat. Belt diagram was given to me by dealer. It looks and fits good. I've thought the water pump maybe issues. Good chance I'll get it to a rad shop. The hose isn't split. Inspected it too.

might sound weird but, does she smell hot???

thats a bit weird. our oil temps pretty much run with the water temp.

grab a holt of a temp gun & do a bit more trouble shootin.

ya got a reader/scanner to check for over heat codes???

seems a bit strange for her to act up "all" of a sudden

ya check between the a/c condensor & raditor??? might be some tumble weeds in thar or other stuff

Last edited:
It really sounds like a stuck thermo or air in the system to me. That would explain the hot cold with heater. I would bleed and bleed till not a bubble comes out. Only thought I have bud. Good luck.

X2.......

Is the radiator cap hot to the touch when your gauge reads 255 ???

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back